British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   New speed cameras on Yas Island (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/new-speed-cameras-yas-island-692566/)

ctfc Nov 7th 2010 6:51 am

New speed cameras on Yas Island

Spotted a very new looking camera-like device in the central reservation on Yas Island this morning just before the turn off for F1 circuit (in addition to the traffic ones popping up which are like those on Corniche and Khaleej Al Arabi, and the overhead gantries with one camera per lane which are further along).

Anyone know if this is likely to be permanent and what the limit is, since nominally Yas/Sadiyaat Road is only 100 km/h?

TGFKASE Nov 7th 2010 8:45 am

Re: New speed cameras on Yas Island

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 8966562)
Spotted a very new looking camera-like device in the central reservation on Yas Island this morning just before the turn off for F1 circuit (in addition to the traffic ones popping up which are like those on Corniche and Khaleej Al Arabi, and the overhead gantries with one camera per lane which are further along).

Anyone know if this is likely to be permanent and what the limit is, since nominally Yas/Sadiyaat Road is only 100 km/h?

I was told that the gantry mounted 'cameras' are actually a traffic management system, as opposed to speed camera, but Ill let you know soon enough, was running late to get to a tee time at Saadiyat on Friday morning....!!!!

commander Nov 7th 2010 10:07 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8966704)
I was told that the gantry mounted 'cameras' are actually a traffic management system, as opposed to speed camera, but Ill let you know soon enough, was running late to get to a tee time at Saadiyat on Friday morning....!!!!

then why would you go onto Yas Island?

weescot Nov 7th 2010 10:27 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8966828)
then why would you go onto Yas Island?

Maybe he lives out at Al Raha?

commander Nov 7th 2010 10:31 am

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 8966856)
Maybe he lives out at Al Raha?

he lives in Dubai, hence my post...

Brains1983 Nov 7th 2010 10:57 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8966863)
he lives in Dubai, hence my post...

then his quickest route to the golf club would be via Yas Island then...

commander Nov 7th 2010 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 8966893)
then his quickest route to the golf club would be via Yas Island then...

Why?

would he not come straight onto Saadyat island and not Yas?

weescot Nov 7th 2010 11:37 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8966917)
Why?

would he not come straight onto Saadyat island and not Yas?

Unless I am missing something, don't you leave the Dubai/AD highway just before the Al Raha area on to Yas Island, which then goes over the wetlands before going onto Saddiyat?

ctfc Nov 7th 2010 11:45 am

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 8966933)
Unless I am missing something, don't you leave the Dubai/AD highway just before the Al Raha area on to Yas Island, which then goes over the wetlands before going onto Saddiyat?

Correct - I would have thought from all that cycling he does, commander would have noticed the difference between Yas Island, Saadiyat Island and the causeway between them?

commander Nov 7th 2010 11:47 am

To be honest, i cant recall, when i bike it, im sure it is Yas for a second then onto Saadyat, where there is an exit for Yas and the F1

im prob wrong, i'm on it every single week on my bike, but never pay too much attention.

commander Nov 7th 2010 11:48 am

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 8966946)
Correct - I would have thought from all that cycling he does, commander would have noticed the difference between Yas Island, Saadiyat Island and the causeway between them?

more than likely im paying too much attention to the vehicles and other bikes within inches of me to do any sightseeing.;)

weescot Nov 7th 2010 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8966951)
more than likely im paying too much attention to the vehicles and other bikes within inches of me to do any sightseeing.;)

... which is far more important!

busybee2 Nov 7th 2010 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 8966562)

the ones that are one camera per lane, will prob be when connected number plate recognition as the distances and where they have put the overhead gantries arent uniformed. suspect the yas island road will be perm havent bee on it, but i suspect they are getting ready for the f1 literally.

busybee2 Nov 7th 2010 2:05 pm

yes thats right the turnoff for yas/saddiyat is just before the airport turnoff/raha beach/kca. you actually go a long way on yas, then on a bridge onto saddiyat seeing all the mangroves inbetween and then finally over the big not very well built bridge that they have had to cut and tape back together. lol

benzonar Nov 8th 2010 2:04 am

ctfc that camera (small squat white thing) has been there for at least 6 months - but couldn't possibly say if it is functional or not. There are some average speed cameras being plotted and a few more standard types for the island itself.