British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   New speed cameras (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/new-speed-cameras-801318/)

the_red_sheep Jun 27th 2013 4:45 am

New speed cameras

There seems to be a host of them popping up around Dubai at the moment. Noticed new ones on Al Ittihad Rd at Garhood and the Dubai-Sharjah border, on Al Khail Rd and on Hessa St in the last few days. Seem to be a different style from the existing ones, they’re 6-8ft tall cylindrical towers and look like they have multiple cameras in to cover both sides of the road.

Anyone noticed any others?

At least if I’ve racked up any fines this week I’ll get the Ramadan discount when paying them off I suppose.

NorthernLad Jun 27th 2013 5:15 am

Re: New speed cameras

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10775120)
There seems to be a host of them popping up around Dubai at the moment. Noticed new ones on Al Ittihad Rd at Garhood and the Dubai-Sharjah border, on Al Khail Rd and on Hessa St in the last few days. Seem to be a different style from the existing ones, they’re 6-8ft tall cylindrical towers and look like they have multiple cameras in to cover both sides of the road.

Anyone noticed any others?

At least if I’ve racked up any fines this week I’ll get the Ramadan discount when paying them off I suppose.

It looks like they are getting ready to put some on The Palm.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 27th 2013 5:47 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10775120)

I'm interested in this. How do I get a discount too?

I definitely got zapped by one of the new ones on Al Khail.

It was dreamy blasting along there to work instead of SZR whilst there were no cameras.

Now there is one at the junction after the Safa / Business Bay on AK going towards AD. There is another one further down as well, maybe by Umm Seq exit.

mikewot Jun 27th 2013 6:46 am

3 new ones on Al Khail between the one at Hessa Street and where they started towards Business Bay. Also a LOT of unmarked cop cars, boot door open and camera inside parked in the breakdown lane, generally under an overpass where it's shady.
Cruise Control, you know it makes (financial) sense!

the_red_sheep Jun 27th 2013 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10775160)
I'm interested in this. How do I get a discount too?

There's usually just like an discount/amnesty given, that if you pay them during Ramadan you get to do so at say 40% off. If it happens details will be in the Gulf News, 7 days etc

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10775160)
It was dreamy blasting along there to work instead of SZR whilst there were no cameras.

You need to get some better dreams mate!

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 27th 2013 6:54 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10775202)
Cruise Control!

:amen:

Plus, it's always fun to click it 120 and stay in the middle / slower lanes. Gamble on which truck is going slightly quicker and will I hit that gap at the right time without having to click the CC off....great fun.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 27th 2013 6:56 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10775207)
There's usually just like an discount/amnesty given, that if you pay them during Ramadan you get to do so at say 40% off. If it happens details will be in the Gulf News, 7 days etc

You need to get some better dreams mate!

Sounds good to me, will keep my beady eyes peeled. Thanks chap.

Did I not mention that Katy Perry is noshing me off whilst blasting down Al Khail?

the_red_sheep Jun 27th 2013 6:57 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10775202)
3 new ones on Al Khail between the one at Hessa Street and where they started towards Business Bay. Also a LOT of unmarked cop cars, boot door open and camera inside parked in the breakdown lane, generally under an overpass where it's shady.
Cruise Control, you know it makes (financial) sense!

The thing about Al Khail is that since they 'finished' it, it is very easy to tank all the way along. The speed limit is 100/120 but its not super well signed and lots of people are treating it as though the limit was 120/140. The coppers will be ringing in the cash!

Millhouse Jun 27th 2013 7:00 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10775215)
The thing about Al Khail is that since they 'finished' it, it is very easy to tank all the way along. The speed limit is 100/120 but its not super well signed and lots of people are treating it as though the limit was 120/140. The coppers will be ringing in the cash!

On the radio a while back it said something like 1000 new cameras... only 1/2 active. I guess we'll figure which ones are active the painful way.

mikewot Jun 27th 2013 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10775213)
Did I not mention that Katy Perry is noshing me off whilst blasting down Al Khail?

Might have been difficult since she was in my bed for the past week.

Bahtatboy Jun 28th 2013 3:11 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10775221)
On the radio a while back it said something like 1000 new cameras... only 1/2 active. I guess we'll figure which ones are active the painful way.

Ok, Mr Anal here: There's one on the A1 northbound somewhere that, for the last 10 years or so, has had an official-looking canvas bag over it with the words on it: "Camera out of action" or equivalent.

Attachment 112880

mikewot Jun 29th 2013 6:36 am

Theres an App that even works in Dubai which shows you the camera locations - speed Cameras

jam25mack Jun 29th 2013 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10775132)
It looks like they are getting ready to put some on The Palm.

Hopefully not at the start (when you go on and off the trunk - further down then quite right) as the bend on and off are the best bends in the city. Used to LOVE that section when I was on my bike. Kneedowntastic! :D