British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   New Smart e-Gates to be rolled out (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/new-smart-e-gates-rolled-out-781095/)

mikewot Dec 19th 2012 7:22 am

New Smart e-Gates to be rolled out

I think some of you may have read about the plan to reduce the interminable waiting time at the airport for immigration. Work email just confirmed that it'll be rolled out 'next year'.

The General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) will install 40 Smart e-Gates across Dubai International next year to ease passenger flow through the airport. This follows the successful trials of the system over the past few months.

The new technology paves the way for a faster and more efficient movement of the growing number of passengers travelling through the world’s fourth busiest airport for international passengers. The system takes a few minutes to process each passenger, far less than the average 49 minutes that it currently takes to pass through immigration.

The new Smart e-Gate is equipped with a high-accuracy camera, which will eliminate the need for an eye scan as well as the need for an e-Gate card. All holders of modern passports with barcodes that can be read by the e-reader can use the e-Gate, including children above the age of seven.

Passengers who hold passports without e-readable barcodes can use the existing e-Gates or the conventional immigration counters to complete their entry or exit process.

TheShed Dec 19th 2012 7:26 am

Re: New Smart e-Gates to be rolled out

Is this the same type of system as the UK? Last time I went through Heathrow, I kind of waved my passport at the machine and then looked into the camera and was through. Very impressive.

the_red_sheep Dec 20th 2012 8:01 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10441260)
I think some of you may have read about the plan to reduce the interminable waiting time at the airport for immigration. Work email just confirmed that it'll be rolled out 'next year'.

The General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) will install 40 Smart e-Gates across Dubai International next year to ease passenger flow through the airport. This follows the successful trials of the system over the past few months.

The new technology paves the way for a faster and more efficient movement of the growing number of passengers travelling through the world’s fourth busiest airport for international passengers. The system takes a few minutes to process each passenger, far less than the average 49 minutes that it currently takes to pass through immigration.

The new Smart e-Gate is equipped with a high-accuracy camera, which will eliminate the need for an eye scan as well as the need for an e-Gate card. All holders of modern passports with barcodes that can be read by the e-reader can use the e-Gate, including children above the age of seven.

Passengers who hold passports without e-readable barcodes can use the existing e-Gates or the conventional immigration counters to complete their entry or exit process.

e-Gate cards are great, and speed up getting through passport control hugely. However, all that means (particularly in T1) is that you spend an age standing at the baggage carousel waiting for your luggage. My personal worst time is 1hr 15mins. I was ****ing raging!

On e-Gate cards, mine has expired and my emirates ID will do the same in a couple of weeks. Can you have your emirates ID set up to work as an e-Gate card? If so, do you just request this at the time of issue and presumable pay an additional fee?

TheShed Dec 20th 2012 9:17 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10443255)
e-Gate cards are great, and speed up getting through passport control hugely. However, all that means (particularly in T1) is that you spend an age standing at the baggage carousel waiting for your luggage. My personal worst time is 1hr 15mins. I was ****ing raging!

On e-Gate cards, mine has expired and my emirates ID will do the same in a couple of weeks. Can you have your emirates ID set up to work as an e-Gate card? If so, do you just request this at the time of issue and presumable pay an additional fee?

I tried this once before. You get the Emirates ID and then take it to the eGate office to have that functionality added to the card. This all happened but the card failed 80% of the time; I just dont think the two technologies are very compatible. Get a seperate card, or if you have a Skywards Gold card, you can have eGate added to it free of charge.

Hope it helps.