Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

New Prime Minister (and Labour leader)

New Prime Minister (and Labour leader)

Old Jul 5th 2016, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Prime Minister (and Labour leader)

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Really? I think we have a great opportunity to rebuild manufacturing and create real jobs and value.
Especially with Leadsom as PM.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 1:09 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
Why is it?

Are you happy with open boarders, allowing any one to come in.

What you are saying, is you are okay for Alice Gross situations to happen..You are whats frigging embarrassing!
I see nothing has changed even with at least some of the truth coming out post brexit. I don't blame you. You actually have to want to learn..

The UK will continue to have open boarders (sic!) as long as they need/want any sort of trade agreement with the EU.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 1:18 pm
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
I see nothing has changed even with at least some of the truth coming out post brexit. I don't blame you. You actually have to want to learn..

The UK will continue to have open boarders (sic!) as long as they need/want any sort of trade agreement with the EU.
Name me one trade agreement (Outside of EU) where freedom of movement is required...? It shouldn't be a prerequisite to any trade deal.

Tell me how does EU trade with China without a trade agreement? Trade Agreements are worthless in this day and age. How does Iceland trade with China with a trade agreement yet no freedom of movement?

I am not call me Dave, I won't fall for your bull
Old Jul 5th 2016, 1:33 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Name me one trade agreement (Outside of EU) where freedom of movement is required...? It shouldn't be a prerequisite to any trade deal.

Tell me how does EU trade with China without a trade agreement? Trade Agreements are worthless in this day and age. How does Iceland trade with China with a trade agreement yet no freedom of movement?

You can tell yourself a lot of things buddy. It doesn't mean it will happen!

Are you seriously putting UK in the same category as China? I don't even have any response to that. Clearly the rot is worse than I expected.

The EU have been very clear already - we will not get a trade agreement without accepting the four freedoms of movement.

We don't have much leverage in a potential negotiation so either we work out how to survive with no relationship to the EU or we pray that parliament ignore the referendum...or we compromise which is probably the worst option ever!

Your arguments are exactly what I expect of a leave voter. Deflection and avoid the truth...

Oh yeah nearly forgot. Norway

Last edited by norsk; Jul 5th 2016 at 1:35 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

We have the whole of the Commonwealth to do businesss with, and as for the EU turning there backs on us complete balls!!!!
And not only can we now negotiate on our own terms, the stupid EU rules are now binned and will enable us to be more attractive to do business with and more competitive!
As was the myth that the stockmarket would collapse, scaremongering on an industrial scale (FTSE at a 3 month high), yes the pound has gone down, great yet again we are more competitive!!

Deflection and avoid the truth...........Nope just believe facts
Old Jul 5th 2016, 2:55 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

sigh.

borders

their

nothing has legally changed at all and yet the pound is in the bin.

imagine what will happen when somebody actually gets around to doing something official with article 50.

by that time Carney might have run out of tools to prop up the markets and economy.

but its ok cos we've got our cuntry back.

from who im not quite sure but i'm glad people are happy about it. They'll need something to smile about once they lose their jobs and pension.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 2:58 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

how?

WTO trade arrangements. which most agree are shit hence the desire to forge other trade agreements
Old Jul 5th 2016, 5:11 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
We have the whole of the Commonwealth to do businesss with, and as for the EU turning there backs on us complete balls!!!!
And not only can we now negotiate on our own terms, the stupid EU rules are now binned and will enable us to be more attractive to do business with and more competitive!
As was the myth that the stockmarket would collapse, scaremongering on an industrial scale (FTSE at a 3 month high), yes the pound has gone down, great yet again we are more competitive!!

Deflection and avoid the truth...........Nope just believe facts
Oh my...

Good luck!
Old Jul 11th 2016, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping the thread.

So Theresa May is going to be the next PM.

She will do well. There was excitement over Leadsom at the onset but in the last week it became evidently clear she wasn't ready for the role.

Question is how much longer till TM visit HM at the palace? Maybe even by end of today? There are rules according to the 1922 Committee but there are times when rules need to be suspended and this may be one of those moments. My bet is by the end of this week to allow Mrs. C time to pack her wardrobe.

Next question: when will TM call a general election? This year? Or stick to the original five year term based on the 2015 GE?
Old Jul 11th 2016, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Things moving quickly.

1922 already confirmed they're not reopening the contest. They're meeting this afternoon. One of two things will happen:

1. 1922 appoints TM as party leader, skipping the vote as there's only one candidate left, and thus the next PM. She'll be seeing HM by tonight.

2. 1922 allows Gove back into the contest to maintain the rule that there must be two contenders submitted to the membership for a vote.

Money is on 1.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Wow. Things moving quickly.

1922 already confirmed they're not reopening the contest. They're meeting this afternoon. One of two things will happen:

1. 1922 appoints TM as party leader, skipping the vote as there's only one candidate left, and thus the next PM. She'll be seeing HM by tonight.

2. 1922 allows Gove back into the contest to maintain the rule that there must be two contenders submitted to the membership for a vote.

Money is on 1.
No way they'll do 2.

Shocking that a pro remain now has to sort a Brexit.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

She was a very sceptical Remain, however. Never campaigned on behalf of Remain and even said in a speech or two that Britain would be fine outside the EU.

But, yes, the irony is still there. This has been a fantastic year for political observers

You want some real amusement? Get over to the Guardian's comments section. Writers whinging about how all their Americans / French / Burkina Faso friends now despise them because of Brexit. The Torygraph can be bad but nothing really takes the cake like the Guardian at its most high and mighty

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
No way they'll do 2.

Shocking that a pro remain now has to sort a Brexit.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

And Theresa May is now officially Prime Minister

May the fun begin.

Next: the cabinet. Tomorrow will find me glued to the BBC and the papers. Almost as much fun as Brexit day.

What's your prediction? Cabinet, Brexit department, the degree to which we withdraw from the EU?

I'll make one prediction for now. May will be in office for a long time. Definitely till well after the next GE.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 5:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
She was a very sceptical Remain, however. ....
I suspect a good number of the Conservative MP Remainers were, .... and many of those in the Tory shires will now get behind Brexit for fear of being deselected before the next general election or risk facing competition from a UKIP candidate.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

RINOs. Remain In Name Only

But it's Labour we must watch with popcorn

The Northern Labour heartlands voted for Brexit. What does that leave Labour with at the next GE? If they select candidates who refuse to support Theresa May's EU withdrawal, or even openly criticise it, will they be punished?

Tories have had their issues but look at how rapidly the party is coalescing and moving fast towards a post-Brexit future as the only credible governing party. Their civil war is over. The Eurosceptics won and the Europhiles lost. But they were still capable enough of putting forward the best leader regardless of her origin on the losing side, and she's already firing whopping big cannonballs into once safe Labour fiefdoms with that speech of hers tonight.

Poor Labour. Their base is now permanently split between the traditional pro British, anti EU working classes, and the global-minded metropolitan voters and ethnic minorities. I don't know if the two can ever be accommodated under the same party again. Dark days ahead. Dark, dark days. They may never recover just as the Liberals never did.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect a good number of the Conservative MP Remainers were, .... and many of those in the Tory shires will now get behind Brexit for fear of being deselected before the next general election or risk facing competition from a UKIP candidate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.