British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   New Pandemic (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/new-pandemic-615164/)

littlejimmy Jun 16th 2009 5:26 pm

New Pandemic

I went to a dinner party last night, where I, and other guests, enjoyed copious amounts of alcohol. I awoke this morning not feeling well, with what could be described as flu-like symptoms; headache, nausea, chills, sore eyes,
etc.

From the results of some initial testing, I have unfortunately tested positive for what experts are now calling Wine Flu. This debilitating condition is veryserious - and it appears this is not an isolated case. Reports are flooding in from all around the neighbourhood of others diagnosed with Wine Flu.

To anyone that starts to exhibit the aforementioned tell-tale signs, experts are recommending a cup of tea and a bit of a lie down. However, should your condition worsen, you should immediately hire a DVD and take some Nurofen (Nurofen seems to be the only drug available that has been proven to help combat this unusual type of flu).

Others are reporting a McDonald's Happy Meal can also help in some cases.

Wine Flu does not need to be life threatening and, if treated early, can be eradicated within a 24-48 hour period. If not, then further application of the original liquid in similar quantities to the original dose has been shown to do the trick.

MataHari Jun 16th 2009 5:36 pm

Re: New Pandemic

I hate it when people drink too much and then complain about it the next day...

moto111 Jun 16th 2009 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7670280)
I went to a dinner party last night, where I, and other guests, enjoyed copious amounts of alcohol. I awoke this morning not feeling well, with what could be described as flu-like symptoms; headache, nausea, chills, sore eyes,
etc.

From the results of some initial testing, I have unfortunately tested positive for what experts are now calling Wine Flu. This debilitating condition is veryserious - and it appears this is not an isolated case. Reports are flooding in from all around the neighbourhood of others diagnosed with Wine Flu.

To anyone that starts to exhibit the aforementioned tell-tale signs, experts are recommending a cup of tea and a bit of a lie down. However, should your condition worsen, you should immediately hire a DVD and take some Nurofen (Nurofen seems to be the only drug available that has been proven to help combat this unusual type of flu).

Wine Flu does not need to be life threatening and, if treated early, can be eradicated within a 24-48 hour period. If not, then further application of the original liquid in similar quantities to the original dose has been shown to do the trick.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Alexa Jun 16th 2009 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7670280)
etc.

Jimmy, soon you will only be able to imbibe(sp??) after 5 in the evening . Also , only 2 glasses of bubbly are allowed for brunch ( I kid you not!)...I hear a massive clampdown is coming our way.....I suppose they are scared of the wine flu in Doha....

littlejimmy Jun 16th 2009 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 7670521)
Jimmy, soon you will only be able to imbibe(sp??) after 5 in the evening . Also , only 2 glasses of bubbly are allowed for brunch ( I kid you not!)...I hear a massive clampdown is coming our way.....I suppose they are scared of the wine flu in Doha....

You mean in bars? I had my ID checked at the Harp on Friday. I was told by a mate that they're checking everyone's now in every bar. What's going on? Are they trying to kill off the fledgling tourist industry before it even gets going? Weird!

Alexa Jun 16th 2009 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7670527)
You mean in bars? I had my ID checked at the Harp on Friday. I was told by a mate that they're checking everyone's now in every bar. What's going on? Are they trying to kill off the fledgling tourist industry before it even gets going? Weird!

And all your info goes straight to the CID.
I hear the problem is there are too many locals drinking , causing trouble and harrassing people.
I was at the Crystal lounge at the w last week...some locals were waiting to get in behind me...they were refused entry...they were in thobe, at least that was the excuse used.

Petty sad if you can;t go for a drink in your own country...

littlejimmy Jun 16th 2009 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 7670545)
And all your info goes straight to the CID.
I hear the problem is there are too many locals drinking , causing trouble and harrassing people.
I was at the Crystal lounge at the w last week...some locals were waiting to get in behind me...they were refused entry...they were in thobe, at least that was the excuse used.

Petty sad if you can;t go for a drink in your own country...

The Ramada bar will go out of business!

Saying that, I was with an Emirati chap in Scarlett's bar in Emirates Tower when I was in Dubai and he was asked to leave because it was the rule after a certain hour.

Alexa Jun 16th 2009 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7670559)
The Ramada bar will go out of business!

Saying that, I was with an Emirati chap in Scarlett's bar in Emirates Tower when I was in Dubai and he was asked to leave because it was the rule after a certain hour.

Yup, my husband was there last week...he said 90% locals in there...then again...maybe they were only dressed like locals?

Grace O Malley Jun 17th 2009 9:45 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7670527)

They are doing it in the hilton in AD, they insist on any kind of ID, health card, labour card, whats that all about?

littlejimmy Jun 17th 2009 10:37 am

Keeping tabs on women with wobbly legs, probably.

Alexa Jun 17th 2009 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 7672316)
They are doing it in the hilton in AD, they insist on any kind of ID, health card, labour card, whats that all about?

oh, and there is a "dresscode " for bars and restaurants now.
No strappy tops( showing shoulders) and short skirts ( showing knees) in bars anymore.
Nice hey?

Roadking Jun 17th 2009 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 7672611)
oh, and there is a "dresscode " for bars and restaurants now.
No strappy tops( showing shoulders) and short skirts ( showing knees) in bars anymore.
Nice hey?

That's no bad thing, I hate when men wear strappy tops and short skirts.

Alexa Jun 17th 2009 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7673614)
That's no bad thing, I hate when men wear strappy tops and short skirts.

Am not so crazy about men in skirts either...men's knees just don't accommodate skirts...:p

littlejimmy Jun 17th 2009 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 7673619)
Am not so crazy about men in skirts either...men's knees just don't accommodate skirts...:p

Careful what you say with all the Caledonians on here!

Alexa Jun 17th 2009 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7673625)
Careful what you say with all the Caledonians on here!

OMG, yes....forgot about them.....guys, I retract all I said...you look FAB!!!
No, seriously! :D