Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

New job same bank account?

New job same bank account?

Old Jun 1st 2021, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Wiggysam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New job same bank account?

Hoping this is a silly question. Wife has just been told her contract will not be getting renewed after August. Came out of the blue and as a result we've not a lot of time to sort housing etc.
My question relates to her bank account. She's secured another job within Doha starting in August. She is hoping to use her existing account for her salary. We're assuming as we're not leaving Doha just changing jobs she doesn't need to close her account etc then open another one rather just keep the one she has open.
Are we correct in assuming this??

Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2021, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New job same bank account?

Won't be a problem for your other half to keep her account open. But once she gets her new QID, she should pay a quick visit to the nearest branch to get them to update the QID details.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by psychopomp1
Won't be a problem for your other half to keep her account open. But once she gets her new QID, she should pay a quick visit to the nearest branch to get them to update the QID details.
Thanks for your reply. Issue I think is that she's worried they freeze her account after her final payment from her old employer as her credit card has money outstanding on it.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Will she be required to leave the country between switching employers? If so, the old employer *may* ask for a non-liability letter from the bank in which case the credit card debt will need to be settled before the bank provides such a letter. But I would speak to the bank to get clarification.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 8:24 am
Just Joined

She doesn't need to leave the country no but as it's over the summer might head somewhere cooler for a few weeks, would this be a problem?
Her old employer doesn't know she has a new job, does she need to tell them?
Although they were the ones who ended the employment they have a history of, how to put it 'making life a bit difficult' for ex-employees who leave themselves but stay in Qatar.
She's going to get a copy of her new contract and take it to the bank and hopefully they'll be OK with it.
We've always known about clearing any debt before leaving Qatar and this won't be a problem when the time comes this was just sprung on us a bit sudden. The credit card debt is only about 1 month's salary but the current housing is tied to old job and although accommodation comes with new post there is a period where furniture will need to be stored and alternative short term accommodation will be required so a chunk of current savings needed for that rather than paying of credit card just now.
Hopefully it will be fine, I'll post what happens in case anyone else finds themselves in the same boat.

Old Jun 2nd 2021, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Sorry, one last question on this. As much as we've always known about closing accounts, 45 days notice etc we thought this was something we (the person/people leaving Qatar) initiated but my wife is of the opinion her current employer will inform the bank of her (in their eyes anyway) impending unemployment. Is this true?

Craig
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wiggysam
Sorry, one last question on this. As much as we've always known about closing accounts, 45 days notice etc we thought this was something we (the person/people leaving Qatar) initiated but my wife is of the opinion her current employer will inform the bank of her (in their eyes anyway) impending unemployment. Is this true?

Craig
Nope, unlikely the former employer will inform the bank. Only the account holder can close the account unless there are special cases. But as I said earlier, once she’s got her new QID best to let her bank know. They may or may not ask for a new salary certificate/letter from new employer - especially if she’s got a premium account - it really depends on her history with her bank.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 11:03 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiggysam

Craig
What you have heard is more likely the tradition of the employer informing the bank of the last salary check, the bank would then hold or freeze the account if there were post dated cheques or loans etc. against her account to stop any withdrawal until they were settled.