British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   New iPod OS software (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/new-ipod-os-software-735532/)

Spugsy Oct 13th 2011 7:29 am

New iPod OS software

Ok so upgraded to the new software on my iPod touch, lost all my music and movies which is fine, that happened last time.

But also lost ALL of my apps, which is a lot - backup seems to have just settings and not apps.

How do I get them back then ?

Ta.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 13th 2011 7:52 am

Re: New iPod OS software

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9672440)
Ok so upgraded to the new software on my iPod touch, lost all my music and movies which is fine, that happened last time.

But also lost ALL of my apps, which is a lot - backup seems to have just settings and not apps.

Ta.

It's a pain, some get put back on, some don't.

I've always just re-downloaded the ones I missed first, if you paid for them then iTunes remembers and just downloads without charging you again.

Brains1983 Oct 13th 2011 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9672440)

Ta.

did you do a back-up before you updated to ios5? I did, and could only get my music, books and films back to begin with, however if you did back it up, then if you click on your device on the left of itunes, and then at the top of the window there is a tab for apps, which lets you re-synch them from itunes to your ipod.

that's if your on a PC, i have no idea about how to do it if your on a mac.

If that doesn't work, I think Scamp is correct and you need to download them again (free of charge).

Brains1983 Oct 13th 2011 8:01 am

correction to the above. log into itunes and click on the store. there is a button for "purchased", it'll show you a list of everything you've purchased, separated into books, music, films, apps. click on each tab and the bottom of each one, there is an option for download all. from there, follow above instruction about synching apps.

Spugsy Oct 13th 2011 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9672477)
did you do a back-up before you updated to ios5? I did, and could only get my music, books and films back to begin with, however if you did back it up, then if you click on your device on the left of itunes, and then at the top of the window there is a tab for apps, which lets you re-synch them from itunes to your ipod.

that's if your on a PC, i have no idea about how to do it if your on a mac.

If that doesn't work, I think Scamp is correct and you need to download them again (free of charge).

Yeah I did a backup, took a while and when I try and restore it just has my settings - nowt else. No apps, photos anything.

I got all my apps through the apps button on my iPod, not through itunes on my mac or owt.

Spugsy Oct 13th 2011 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9672478)
correction to the above. log into itunes and click on the store. there is a button for "purchased", it'll show you a list of everything you've purchased, separated into books, music, films, apps. click on each tab and the bottom of each one, there is an option for download all. from there, follow above instruction about synching apps.

yeah last time it updated and put all my apps back on. Hmmmmm.

Spugsy Oct 13th 2011 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9672482)
yeah last time it updated and put all my apps back on. Hmmmmm.

Got the apps back, was somehow signed in with the wrong username - but it seems films, music and photos are gone?

Brains1983 Oct 13th 2011 9:46 am

Should be as easy as dragging them accross from your itunes library and dumping them onto your ipod? I did the upgrade on the ipad last night and nothing went back on automatically. Queued it all up to transfer and it took nearly 3hours for the 4 movies 4500songs and the apps to go back!

Sandboy Oct 13th 2011 9:51 am

why do people buy ipods ? :confused:

Spugsy Oct 13th 2011 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9672613)
Should be as easy as dragging them accross from your itunes library and dumping them onto your ipod? I did the upgrade on the ipad last night and nothing went back on automatically. Queued it all up to transfer and it took nearly 3hours for the 4 movies 4500songs and the apps to go back!

Think I have a backup on my mac at home, hope so.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 13th 2011 9:58 am

what has the new software got btw?

Brains1983 Oct 13th 2011 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9672639)
what has the new software got btw?

so far, all I've noticed is it can backup through wireless. Haven't noticed anything else at all.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 13th 2011 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9672642)
so far, all I've noticed is it can backup through wireless. Haven't noticed anything else at all.

I love stuff like that. Gearing towards this cloud thing?

the_red_sheep Oct 13th 2011 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 9672629)
why do people buy ipods ? :confused:

Ok, what would you recommned as a decent iPod alternative with at least 160GB capacity?

My 3+ year old iPod classic is full and starting to fall over, would happily switch to a non-Apple alternative, particularly if it meant being able to get away from the dreadful iTunes).

NorthernLad Oct 13th 2011 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9672642)

I'm still updating iPad, so not tried it out yet. But....

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/10/h...uld-know-about