British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   New to Dubai September 2014 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/new-dubai-september-2014-a-825130/)

pantobabe Feb 15th 2014 8:27 pm

New to Dubai September 2014

Hi everyone!

I hope people don't mind me posting this on here. I'm a 24 year old female and I've just got a job at a British international school in Dubai to commence in September. I'm going to be moving out there on my own, and I'm a little nervous about moving my whole life and not knowing anyone out there, so I thought I'd post this to see if there are any other people who are making the move out to Dubai over the summer, teaching or not teaching, who are in the same situation! It would be great to get speaking to a few people before I go! :)

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 16th 2014 8:04 am

Re: New to Dubai September 2014

Originally Posted by pantobabe (Post 11131488)
Hi everyone!

I hope people don't mind me posting this on here. I'm a 24 year old female and I've just got a job at a British international school in Dubai to commence in September. I'm going to be moving out there on my own, and I'm a little nervous about moving my whole life and not knowing anyone out there, so I thought I'd post this to see if there are any other people who are making the move out to Dubai over the summer, teaching or not teaching, who are in the same situation! It would be great to get speaking to a few people before I go! :)

Don't worry.

You'll be greeted by the school with a host of other new teachers joining. They'll be instant mates for certain.

My mrs did the same a few years back and hasn't looked back.

pantobabe Feb 16th 2014 9:02 am

Thank you for replying, that message has made me feel a lot better :)

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11131947)
Don't worry.

You'll be greeted by the school with a host of other new teachers joining. They'll be instant mates for certain.

My mrs did the same a few years back and hasn't looked back.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 16th 2014 9:25 am

Originally Posted by pantobabe (Post 11131995)
Thank you for replying, that message has made me feel a lot better :)

Feel free to say who you're working for but my Mrs joined a big company, I didn't see her for the first two weeks. All sorts of social events and things going on to get them settled and into the way of life.

pantobabe Feb 16th 2014 9:58 am

I'm actually going to be working at the new Nord Anglia school that opens in September, so whilst it's a big company, this is the first school they have in DXB!

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 16th 2014 10:27 am

Originally Posted by pantobabe (Post 11132058)
I'm actually going to be working at the new Nord Anglia school that opens in September, so whilst it's a big company, this is the first school they have in DXB!

Cool, good luck. They have one up the road in Abu Dhabi I think.

WHere is the school in Dubai, is it built?

jam25mack Feb 16th 2014 3:01 pm

Hey there,

DXB is a very sociable place. You'll meet folk very easily. Just get involved.

mentalist Feb 17th 2014 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11132107)
WHere is the school in Dubai, is it built?

Looks like its between Al Khail Rd and the Old Emirates Rd near JVT...
http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/o...t/our-location

mikewot Feb 17th 2014 5:28 am

In Al Barsha, off of Hessa Street/Al Khail where the ENOC petrol station is with Wendys. Nasty traffic on that slip road at rush hour.

TGK_Art Mar 4th 2014 6:12 am

Pantobabe,
I went to Dubai a couple of weeks ago, on my own. I made at least 20 new friends out there of a whole host of ages. I am looking for jobs now as I think it looks fantastic. You will have a superb time!!
Im very jealous

Tam

fitness189 Jul 18th 2014 1:05 am

Hiya,

My friend and I also 24 years of age are moving to Dubai in September! Both very nervous also! Where r you moving to?

T