British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   A New Chuch Opens in UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/new-chuch-opens-uae-799988/)

mentalist Jun 13th 2013 6:52 am

A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 
To serve the estimated 700,000 Catholics living here.
http://gulfnews.com/about-gulf-news/...imah-1.1196291
Well, it made me feel good.

Boomhauer Jun 13th 2013 8:21 am

Re: A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 
They allowed it only because Catholics/Christians are a transient pop, so the church isn't permanent.

I remember back when Abu Dhabi's Catholic church was in the Corniche but it got moved/demolished because locals couldn't stand for prime real estate being used by a church.

Millhouse Jun 13th 2013 9:47 am

Re: A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10754632)
I remember back when Abu Dhabi's Catholic church was in the Corniche but it got moved/demolished because locals couldn't stand for prime real estate being used by a church.

You say it like that is a problem. Personally, I'd like to see a large block of flats with a pool on the roof built in Finsbury.

Norm_uk Jun 16th 2013 7:03 am

Re: A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10754632)
They allowed it only because Catholics/Christians are a transient pop, so the church isn't permanent.

That's the only reason any churches are allowed here. They know they can boot them all out tomorrow if they like so they don't mind. A bit different from the UK I'd say...we can't even deport openly treasonous people who hate us and our way of life?

N.

Blue Cat Jun 16th 2013 9:04 am

Re: A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10759080)
That's the only reason any churches are allowed here. They know they can boot them all out tomorrow if they like so they don't mind. A bit different from the UK I'd say...we can't even deport openly treasonous people who hate us and our way of life?

N.

Agree, if there were stricter deportation rules things would be a lot more harmonious in the UK.

Ronnie Biggs Jun 16th 2013 10:57 am

Re: A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10759167)
Agree, if there were stricter deportation rules things would be a lot more harmonious in the UK.

Really? Most of the muppets of which you're alluding to are homegrown Brits. Where are you going to deport them to?

co durham boy Jun 16th 2013 11:28 am

Re: A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 10759332)
Really? Most of the muppets of which you're alluding to are homegrown Brits. Where are you going to deport them to?

Maybe we could deport them to their ' bedrooms '....;)

Blue Cat Jun 16th 2013 12:08 pm

Re: A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 10759332)
Really? Most of the muppets of which you're alluding to are homegrown Brits. Where are you going to deport them to?

where their family originally hailed from

Millhouse Jun 16th 2013 12:20 pm

Re: A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10759389)
where their family originally hailed from

you don't understand this, do you?

Blue Cat Jun 16th 2013 12:40 pm

Re: A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10759404)
you don't understand this, do you?

I believe that you should respect the law of the land you live in, if we went round the streets here bible bashing we would be on the next flight out, think about it.

Millhouse Jun 16th 2013 12:52 pm

Re: A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10759420)
I believe that you should respect the law of the land you live in, if we went round the streets here bible bashing we would be on the next flight out, think about it.

I don't have a UAE passport. Your idea could make people state-less.

Scamp Jun 16th 2013 1:20 pm

Re: A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10759433)
I don't have a UAE passport. Your idea could make people state-less.

You don't need to worry on that front though, eh?

NorthernLad Jun 16th 2013 1:31 pm

Re: A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10759389)
where their family originally hailed from

My wife is half Malaysian, born and brought up in the UK. If she broke laws would that mean sending her back to Malaysia?

Where does it start, speeding fines, drink driving, theft, religious hatred, murder?

We are seeing home-grown fanatics now, they are breaking the law, but of their land, like it or not. When people emigrate and settle (i.e. generations) you have take the good with the bad.

Boomhauer Jun 16th 2013 2:04 pm

Re: A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10759486)
My wife is half Malaysian, born and brought up in the UK. If she broke laws would that mean sending her back to Malaysia?

Well only half of her would be sent back to Malaysia .

Couldn't resist:D

redShark Jun 16th 2013 4:56 pm

Re: A New Chuch Opens in UAE
 

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10759404)
you don't understand this, do you?

I once proposed a solution to the problem of refugees in Europe based on the successful experiment of the creation of Hong Kong. My idea was quite similar to that, just get the United Nations to rent a big piece of land from some poor African country for a period of 200 years. create a country in that land and send all the refugees in Europe over to that new country to live and work and develop it. Initially this new country will financially and militarily be supported by the UN but soon enough it will have its own functioning economy based, maybe on tourism, manufacturing, etc. The host African country will obviously benefit from the few billion dollars annual rent it gets from the UN, on top of the bounce of owning a new country 200 years down the line (just like China did).

Now I can see that by having such a country in existence, not only the problem of refugees in Europe will be solved but to a great extent the problem of crimes too. Multiple offending criminals (immigrants and whites), for example will be sent there too after serving their sentences in their home countries. Once they’ve served their times they would be stripped off their current European nationalities and be sent to their new home country to make a new life and will be treated as foreigners if they wish to come back home.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:02 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.