Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

New campaign of violence in Northern Ireland

New campaign of violence in Northern Ireland

Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all
Default New campaign of violence in Northern Ireland

I am watching BBC NI a lot right now and the change in dissident activity this summer is marked.

>There have been three under-car bomb attacks on police workers this week alone and major detonations over the last few months.
>The riots this July's marching season were the worst for years and only avoided major bloodshed because the PSNI adopted a 'stand back and video' tactic that is still yielding arrests.
>Cross border weapons smuggling has escalated with major arrests in the South in the last couple of weeks
>Security alerts on the Belfast / Dublin Train line have reappeared.
>Punishment and 'republicans against drugs' shootings seem to be increasing, including well away from the border in Cork
>Dublin crime is increasingly well armed (drug dealers with RPGs)

My list is anecdotal from keeping an eye/ear out, but the BBC monitor seems to reflect this too.

I know that they never went away and that Phony Tony's words were just that, but it seems we are accelerating towards a resumption of a major campaign of violence. I'm also interested to see if this is making its way into the national and international Brit/UK/Euro awareness. Does it take a major attack in England for people to pay attention?
I just have a really bad feeling about this whole thing.

And Ramadan Kareem :-)

CH
Old Aug 14th 2010, 5:18 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New campaign of violence in Northern Ireland

Originally Posted by Cry haddock
I am watching BBC NI a lot right now and the change in dissident activity this summer is marked.

>There have been three under-car bomb attacks on police workers this week alone and major detonations over the last few months.
>The riots this July's marching season were the worst for years and only avoided major bloodshed because the PSNI adopted a 'stand back and video' tactic that is still yielding arrests.
>Cross border weapons smuggling has escalated with major arrests in the South in the last couple of weeks
>Punishment and 'republicans against drugs' shootings seem to be increasing, including well away from the border in Cork

My list is anecdotal from keeping an eye/ear out, but the BBC monitor seems to reflect this too.

I know that they never went away and that Phony Tony's words were just that, but it seems we are accelerating towards a resumption of a major campaign of violence. I'm also interested to see if this is making its way into the national and international Brit/UK/Euro awareness. Does it take a major attack in England for people to pay attention?

CH
mate - from what seems to happening - I unfortunately think you're right on this one.... not good....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-10975548
Old Aug 14th 2010, 5:28 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
mate - from what seems to happening - I unfortunately think you're right on this one.... not good....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-10975548

I personally have never had a problem with knee capping drug dealers...
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:10 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
I personally have never had a problem with knee capping drug dealers...
Not sure what relevance your comment has to the article or the general slide towards sectarian violence that CryHaddock described?

"Three children have been injured in an explosion in Lurgan, County Armagh.

A no-warning bomb went off in a bin at North Street in the town as police investigated reports that a device had been left at the Model Primary school."

?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:55 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cry haddock

CH
this part..

the general slide toward sectarian violence that is referred to has been there the whole time and always will be...the opposing factions have always hated each others guts...and there is no excuse for it...innocent civilians are always caught in the middle..

So what do you suggest Autonomy?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:15 pm