new apartment

Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default new apartment

So folks the lease for my new apartment was dated 1st Oct and hence i should have been able to move in.
However because it's a brand new building the du and gas connections have still not happened (i was not aware of this before signing the lease).
Fortunately i don't need to vacate my current apartment until the end of the month. However if i had to move in, what compensation, if any would i have been entitled to?
As per the facility management office in the building both the du and gas will most likely take a further 2-3 weeks to be connected (if not more!). In light of this i have emailed the real estate company asking them to change my lease start date to whenever both utilities have been connected - if they refuse to do this, is there anything i can legally do? I am hoping it won't come to this, but i just wanted to know my options, if any. Thanks.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new apartment

Threaten them with all kinds of stuff, tell them you have to put your furniture in storage and have incurred costs in transport etc, also that you will be booking into the Burj Al Arab, or other establishment in keeping with your social standing, until the apartment is ready!!
Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Threaten them with all kinds of stuff, tell them you have to put your furniture in storage and have incurred costs in transport etc, also that you will be booking into the Burj Al Arab, or other establishment in keeping with your social standing, until the apartment is ready!!
DUBS, as always you are very helpful
Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
So folks the lease for my new apartment was dated 1st Oct and hence i should have been able to move in.
However because it's a brand new building the du and gas connections have still not happened (i was not aware of this before signing the lease).
Fortunately i don't need to vacate my current apartment until the end of the month. However if i had to move in, what compensation, if any would i have been entitled to?
As per the facility management office in the building both the du and gas will most likely take a further 2-3 weeks to be connected (if not more!). In light of this i have emailed the real estate company asking them to change my lease start date to whenever both utilities have been connected - if they refuse to do this, is there anything i can legally do? I am hoping it won't come to this, but i just wanted to know my options, if any. Thanks.
Your best course of action is going to RERA and finding out where you stand rather than conflicting advice given by anonymous internet posters.

You want the refund of a month's rent because the building is actually not inhabitable till the end of the month. This is logical but you should have confirmation from RERA of the actual laws that backs you up so you can quote it to the landlord and have validity in your claims if you need to threaten filing a rental dispute.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Your best course of action is going to RERA and finding out where you stand rather than conflicting advice given by anonymous internet posters.

You want the refund of a month's rent because the building is actually not inhabitable till the end of the month. This is logical but you should have confirmation from RERA of the actual laws that backs you up so you can quote it to the landlord and have validity in your claims if you need to threaten filing a rental dispute.
Thanks DXB, much appreciated. I will contact RERA and take it from there.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks DXB, much appreciated. I will contact RERA and take it from there.
Cue new thread

" Hi guy`s does anyone know how to contact RERA"

Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Cue new thread

" Hi guy`s does anyone know how to contact RERA"

bog off
Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

" Hi guy`s does anyone know what RERA is?"
FIFY.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
FIFY.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

so i just spoke to RERA....they said to first try and negotiate with the landlord to ask him what compensation he is willing to make...eg if he is willing to cancel the lease, or change the lease start date in occurdance with when the connections happen. And if he isn't then i need to visit RERA and lodge a file against him....the fee is 3.5% of the annual lease which will get refunded to me if the case goes in my favour.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Taz786 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar issue when I moved into my building. The real estate company accepted responsibility and didn't start the tenancy till the actual move date.

Also, as I was getting evicted from my old place, they paid for a hotel (it was a 3 or 4* and part of the same parent company) and held my furniture in their storage till it was okay to move it. Gap between places was around 9 days.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Taz786
I had a similar issue when I moved into my building. The real estate company accepted responsibility and didn't start the tenancy till the actual move date.

Also, as I was getting evicted from my old place, they paid for a hotel (it was a 3 or 4* and part of the same parent company) and held my furniture in their storage till it was okay to move it. Gap between places was around 9 days.
Thanks TAZ, that's good to know. Since i have my current apartment till the end of this month, i am not stressing too much. As long as they agree to change the lease date, then i'll be ok. However if come end of Oct and i still can't move into the new apartment, then things will start to get very difficult.....which i am hoping won't happen!
Old Oct 4th 2017, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks TAZ, that's good to know. Since i have my current apartment till the end of this month, i am not stressing too much. As long as they agree to change the lease date, then i'll be ok. However if come end of Oct and i still can't move into the new apartment, then things will start to get very difficult.....which i am hoping won't happen!
I would preempt it now and get some sort of agreement with them if it does happen to be longer, and get it in writing as well!
Old Oct 4th 2017, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I would preempt it now and get some sort of agreement with them if it does happen to be longer, and get it in writing as well!
What he said.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

good point DUBS, thanks for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.