Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Nelson Mandela Terrorist???

Nelson Mandela Terrorist???

Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:11 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nelson Mandela Terrorist???

Originally Posted by Bipat
Casteism is illegal now, Do you know the origin and reason for the caste system? (As you are commenting).
In a population of a billion, rape figures will be high ( matching other countries).
Yes there is poverty - far less than during British rule, when there were dreadful famines ignored by Churchill.
Female infanticide occurs among the very poor communities-- and is obviously murder and punished as such.
The Indian abortion figures are far lower than those of UK, so therefore far more females per population are aborted in UK.
Corruption is a scourge but hopefully it looks as though there will be a new government next year.
They have come a long way in 60 years of independence having been looted for centuries and yes, still along way to go.
Is it hard to type when wearing blinkers?

High rape statistics and female infanticide is never acceptable and there is NO excuse for them.

You seem to want to blame Westerners/white people for things that happened before we were all born, yet don't think there should be responsibility taken in India for the bad things that are happening there right now. Can't see how that can be justified.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

What a ridiculous statement. Have you ever been to India???
I'm obviously a little more well read than you:
The women of Bhalswa, a swamp-riddled neighborhood of poorly-built brick homes in northwest Delhi, employ a number of tactics when they need to use the bathroom.

If it’s early morning and they have enough money, they spend one rupee (1.6 cents) on a visit to one of two community toilet blocks in the area, which together cater to about 1,000 households, locals say.

Here, the 20 cubicles housing ceramic squat-style toilets don’t all have doors, and a broom cupboard in the corner is piled with used sanitary towels. But when it’s busy, women say, they’re less likely to be attacked by local men looking for a woman who’ll be easy to grab.

A number of young girls have been kidnapped while using these bathrooms by themselves, say neighborhood women, who estimate there is at least one such incident a month.

“They are taken away and molested by construction workers. A lot of times mothers don’t say that things have happened to their daughters because it will lead to difficulties when they get married,” says Herma, a female resident who uses only one name, the norm in the area.

In the afternoon, when the toilet blocks, which were introduced and managed by the Municipal Council of Delhi, are closed for five hours for cleaning and to give the attendant a break, the women either hold on until they reopen at 4 p.m. or go in an open square of scrub land, with houses nearby and roads on two sides.

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2...let-in-groups/
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
1. Please do note tell me that the system was introduced by the British Colonial Powers as that is a load of twaddle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caste_system_in_India
And yes the caste system is still in operation, although not as widely spread as before and intermingling does still result in murder!!!!!

2. Poverty is still rampant in India and far more so than in Colonial times, as a nuclear power with aspirations of getting into space, beats me why your ex colonial ruler still sends millions in aid to the country every year.!!!

3.Yes they will be lower as they are almost all reported, unlike in India. I cannot make sense that you argue more females are aborted in the UK absolute crap!!!! Female infanticide is rampant in India...it is a well known fact and also that a lot of this is done without being reported.

4.You must live in a fantasy land if you think a change of Government will result in corruption being turned around, it is endemic there, a way of life even.

5.Yes a long way indeed, but if Ghandi could see the result after all these years he would weep, and probably start a new fast!!

6. The toilets are disgusting there, I know as I have been there, I am beginning to doubt if you have though!!!!!!

Tiffin over, time to go and roger the housemaid...just like in the old days!!!!!!
1) Of course the caste system was not introduced by th British, I just wondered if you knew any Indian history. I am not sure wikipedia is always reliable! Yes it does exist to some extent and murders as everywhere else and for many reasons do happen.

2) You are wrong about the level of poverty. In colonial times millions died of hunger. (There must be a Wikipedia on Indian famines). The middle class of India now numbers about 40- 50%.
Yes we do know OH is capable of remembering his childhood and times of his grandparents etc. Even my time of having a home there 45 years; levels of poverty greatly improved.

3) out of date figures but just a quick search.
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/25s3099.html

4)-5) Hopefully corruption levels will change if the Nehru dynasty loses power. Gandhi advised Nehru not to become PM.

6) you have experience of the whole countries toilets have you? Which places have visited? (genuinely interested)
It is a large country. Yes through the decades I have been in some dreadful ones those are the ones you remember. A little different from describing the entire countries toilets as such. I have also been in palatial style ones also not a general rule.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
High rape statistics
Ah but it's the womens fault
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

6) you have experience of the whole countries toilets have you? Which places have visited? (genuinely interested)
It is a large country. Yes through the decades I have been in some dreadful ones those are the ones you remember. A little different from describing the entire countries toilets as such. I have also been in palatial style ones also not a general rule.
India has topped the list of top ten nations that lacks sanitary facilities. In an initiative to bring awareness to the need for adequate sanitary facilities, the "big squat" was held worldwide to coincide with the 10th annual World Toilet Day.

Here's a list of the world's worst nations in terms of people lacking access to sanitary facilities, reports The Christian Science Monitor.
1. India: 638 million The world's second-most populous nation after China, India has the world's largest number of people going outdoors. Nearly 640 million Indians, or 54 percent of the 1.1 billion population lack access to toilets or other sanitation facilities. In some states, the problem was so bad that village women started a slogan: "No toilet, no bride."

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...ist-population
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

1) Of course the caste system was not introduced by th British, I just wondered if you knew any Indian history. I am not sure wikipedia is always reliable! Yes it does exist to some extent and murders as everywhere else and for many reasons do happen.

2) You are wrong about the level of poverty. In colonial times millions died of hunger. (There must be a Wikipedia on Indian famines). The middle class of India now numbers about 40- 50%.
Yes we do know OH is capable of remembering his childhood and times of his grandparents etc. Even my time of having a home there 45 years; levels of poverty greatly improved.

3) out of date figures but just a quick search.
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/25s3099.html

4)-5) Hopefully corruption levels will change if the Nehru dynasty loses power. Gandhi advised Nehru not to become PM.

Always never ceases to amaze me how some people do not reply to all the questions, and only cherry pick certain items that they feel they may have some grasp on.
No reply on female infanticide which is a regular occurrence in India
I think Mikewot has replied to the sanitary conditions in your country, which are overall are disgusting, the figures speak for themselves, unfortunately this is due in a lot of ways to the ongoing abject poverty that millions still live in.
Of course there are some palatial style toilets in the country, used by the elite and cleaned by the abject poor!!!
Caste system still prevails despite all the legislation against it, it is not in the middle classes interest to see it implemented their cheap labour would disappear!!!!
My travels in India have been extensive, as with Bangladesh and Pakistan (thought I would cover all colonial India!!!). Both in Cities and more in the rural areas, where I have witnessed the abject poverty and the awful feudal system where villagers are trapped in debt with greedy and violent landlords (who often use rape as a weapon), a sight I would doubt you have seen!!
You my dear are obviously batting on a sticky wicket here judging by the views and replies of others.
Back to rodgering the housemaid
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
I'm obviously a little more well read than you:
The women of Bhalswa, a swamp-riddled neighborhood of poorly-built brick homes in northwest Delhi, employ a number of tactics when they need to use the bathroom.

If it’s early morning and they have enough money, they spend one rupee (1.6 cents) on a visit to one of two community toilet blocks in the area, which together cater to about 1,000 households, locals say.

Here, the 20 cubicles housing ceramic squat-style toilets don’t all have doors, and a broom cupboard in the corner is piled with used sanitary towels. But when it’s busy, women say, they’re less likely to be attacked by local men looking for a woman who’ll be easy to grab.

A number of young girls have been kidnapped while using these bathrooms by themselves, say neighborhood women, who estimate there is at least one such incident a month.

“They are taken away and molested by construction workers. A lot of times mothers don’t say that things have happened to their daughters because it will lead to difficulties when they get married,” says Herma, a female resident who uses only one name, the norm in the area.

In the afternoon, when the toilet blocks, which were introduced and managed by the Municipal Council of Delhi, are closed for five hours for cleaning and to give the attendant a break, the women either hold on until they reopen at 4 p.m. or go in an open square of scrub land, with houses nearby and roads on two sides.

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2...let-in-groups/
I don't have to read about Indian toilets I go in them.
I ( and our children from babyhood) have been in toilets in trains, bus stands, rail stations, restaurants, hideous hotels etc etc. so am quite experienced.
You have chosen to describe a Delhi slum. Such slums exist in the main cities of India and much worse in Mumbai it is a disgrace that they exist.
The figures you report are mostly for villages and that too northern state villages, I wonder if these figures are accurate given the figures for the 'growing 'middle' class are between 40-50%.

This thread is about Nelson Mandela and the oppressions of the indiginous population by colonialists, and I can assure you that there are more general toilet facilities in present day India than there were in the time of the British and far more than when I first went to India. I used to dream when travelling with my children of clean toilets, I am now only worried about some sort of safe car seats for my grandchildren.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Always never ceases to amaze me how some people do not reply to all the questions, and only cherry pick certain items that they feel they may have some grasp on.
No reply on female infanticide which is a regular occurrence in India
I think Mikewot has replied to the sanitary conditions in your country, which are overall are disgusting, the figures speak for themselves, unfortunately this is due in a lot of ways to the ongoing abject poverty that millions still live in.
Of course there are some palatial style toilets in the country, used by the elite and cleaned by the abject poor!!!
Caste system still prevails despite all the legislation against it, it is not in the middle classes interest to see it implemented their cheap labour would disappear!!!!
My travels in India have been extensive, as with Bangladesh and Pakistan (thought I would cover all colonial India!!!). Both in Cities and more in the rural areas, where I have witnessed the abject poverty and the awful feudal system where villagers are trapped in debt with greedy and violent landlords (who often use rape as a weapon), a sight I would doubt you have seen!!
You my dear are obviously batting on a sticky wicket here judging by the views and replies of others.
Back to rodgering the housemaid
Child beating and murder occur regularly in the UK would you describe it as a child beating and child murdering country??
Of course there are millions in poverty 30-40 % of the population of 1 billion and Congress government has done too little about it.

As I said above this is a discussion about colonial rule there is nothing like the hunger and famines of British rule.

My dear, if you had visited India over the decades you would have seen the changes people are becoming better dressed, fed and housed. There is now extensive tourism (not just amongst the elite).
Of course there is a long, long way to go.
Incidently labour is employed in my experience according to ability to do the job not according to caste. (We are still waiting for a plumber to turn up and repair our leaking toilet after 3 failed appearances, not much difference from UK there!!!!).
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot about the toilets. Oh no you didn't, there almost are none in the whole country.
The ones there are most likely left overs from the colonial time...as are the bridges and roads.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alexa
The ones there are most likely left overs from the colonial time...as are the bridges and roads.
I don't think they had the multi-lane express ways in colonial times!!!
Most bridges have been built since.
Bullock carts were still in general use. Husband still remembers travelling in one, he had to get down and help push it up hills. Although by his childhood buses were commonplace. (For the 'natives' of course).
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:39 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

What about so called honour killing?

Oh yes, it takes place in the UK too (before you say it).

Who are the main protagonists?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Acid throwing ????????????????
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

This thread is about Nelson Mandela and the oppressions of the indiginous population by colonialists, .
This thread was about Nelson Mandela Terrorist?? I know I started it, you added the "oppressions of the indigenous population by colonialists!!"

Start a thread if you have something to say, I personally think it is rude to hijack a thread by interjecting themes which are not relevant to the thread title.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

I don't have to read about Indian toilets I go in them.
You mean when you can find them, given that over 50% of Indians have no toilets to use.
This thread is about Nelson Mandela
So why did you hijack it with your (yawn) stories?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

:
Ah but it's the womens fault
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8hC0Ng_ajpY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.