British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Nelson Mandela Terrorist??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/nelson-mandela-terrorist-817169/)

Dubaiexile Dec 7th 2013 4:57 pm

Nelson Mandela Terrorist???

Now just to be a bit contentious (and before I get a right kicking I will actually make it plain they are not my opinions), was Mandela a terrorist, as he never actually denounced the terrorism, or his part in it.

In some peoples eyes he was (and not just the bigoted idiots running SA at the time)!!

Be interested to see the views on here.

nonthaburi Dec 7th 2013 5:29 pm

Re: Nelson Mandela Terrorist???

A lot of people in the Tory party considered him so .

Read into that what you will.

shiva Dec 7th 2013 5:36 pm

One mans terrorist is another's freedom fighter

Has always been that way and always will be

He wasn't and not were the ANC quite al Qaeda though

Boomhauer Dec 7th 2013 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11025406)

:goodpost:

Terrorist is a worthless term, it is applied with prejudice and bias by those powerfull enough to make the term stick to their enemies.

The Dean Dec 7th 2013 7:26 pm

From one obituary:

"Mandela organised a bombing campaign in December 1961. There was no plan to kill anyone – the targets were power stations, electricity pylons and empty government buildings. But the bombings were a fiasco, ineptly organised and carried out with almost absurd amateurism. The only casualty was one of Mandela’s youthful guerrillas, one Petrus Molife, who mistakenly killed himself with his own bomb. Under Mandela’s leadership, Umkhonto we Sizwe (Spear of the Nation) was peculiarly ineffective."

Dubaiexile Dec 7th 2013 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 11025400)
A lot of people in the Tory party considered him so .

Read into that what you will.

Yes I agree, especially when you read this;

http://i.stack.imgur.com/TeN0o.jpg

Meow Dec 8th 2013 7:34 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11025406)

But neither is he a perfect saint as so many people are claiming. Mandela set up the military wing of the ANC and endorsed violence to secure their aims.

He did a good job for the few years he was in power (lack of AIDS awareness not withstanding) but there seems to have been something of a whitewash regarding his early activities.

shiva Dec 8th 2013 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11025975)
But neither as he a perfect saint as so many people are claiming. Mandela set up the military wing of the ANC and endorsed violence to secure their aims.

He did a good job for the few years he was in power (lack of AIDS awareness not withstanding) but there seems to have been something of a whitewash regarding his early activities.

definitely no saint but gained a shed load of wisdom in prison

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 8th 2013 7:42 am

But neither as he a perfect saint as so many people are claiming. Mandela set up the military wing of the ANC and endorsed violence to secure their aims.

Indeed. Good can prevail, which it appears to have done so with Mandela, but all too often what else has happened just gets swept under the rug and 'forgotten'.

mikewot Dec 8th 2013 11:15 am

A freedom fighter doesn't cause the deaths of innocent women and children, a terrorist does. Look up the Church street bombings and make your own minds up. This is one of the many bombings Mandela sanctioned as leader of MK.

Meow Dec 8th 2013 11:34 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11026075)
A freedom fighter doesn't cause the deaths of innocent women and children, a terrorist does. Look up the Church street bombings and make your own minds up. This is one of the many bombings Mandela sanctioned as leader of MK.

A shocking event with lots of civilian deaths.

Here's some info about MK, co-founded by Mandela. Landmines, torture and execution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umkhonto_we_Sizwe

Apartheid is vile and the SA government was responsible for a lot, but that doesn't validate the actions of MK, also known as 'Spear of the Nation'.

I also think that insufficient credit is given to the white politicians who effected the changes in SA. Shame the country is such a mess now and they couldn't sort themselves out. :( I know loads of South Africans and only one couple has any intention of returning to SA and they are from Durban.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 8th 2013 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11026083)
I also think that insufficient credit is given to the white politicians who effected the changes in SA. Shame the country is such a mess now and they couldn't sort themselves out. :( I know loads of South Africans and only one couple has any intention of returning to SA and they are from Durban.

Bizarre isn't it. We have some work in Jo'burg and the minority of overseas working South Africans were willing / keen to return.

NorthernLad Dec 8th 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11026083)
Shame the country is such a mess now and they couldn't sort themselves out. :( I know loads of South Africans and only one couple has any intention of returning to SA and they are from Durban.

Likewise...and BEE is only making things worse. Whilst in theory it sounds good, in reality it's apartheid in reverse (and business is suffering from having to employ people who know they are needed and use that in their favour).

Blue Cat Dec 8th 2013 12:37 pm

But neither is he a perfect saint as so many people are claiming. Mandela set up the military wing of the ANC and endorsed violence to secure their aims.

they were talking about him on the radio this morning comparing him to Mother Teresa, an American counterpart would be Oprah Winfrey!!!! I actually laughed out loud!

shiva Dec 8th 2013 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11026117)
Likewise...and BEE is only making things worse. Whilst in theory it sounds good, in reality it's apartheid in reverse (and business is suffering from having to employ people who know they are needed and use that in their favour).

But like here then