Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Nearly owned an iMac. *stamped feet*

Nearly owned an iMac. *stamped feet*

Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:44 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nearly owned an iMac. *stamped feet*

no new imacs this month, but there's a new mac laptop (big thing 17" job)

so buy the one that you've seen 'cos it aint going to get cheaper
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

One for the clever people....

I have a Linksys wireless router with a PC laptop using it. Can I just buy an iMac and they will both work or do I need this Apple Airport wireless?

Spugsy or anyone else any thoughts?
Many thanks.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:51 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jrudofsky

I have a Linksys wireless router with a PC laptop using it. Can I just buy an iMac and they will both work or do I need this Apple Airport wireless?

Many thanks.
You will be fine - wireless uses the same standards so Macs and Windows will work.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

Great stuff, many thanks.

Sometimes I just wished I understood how all this stuff works!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:15 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.
the thing as I said about macs is they are dead easy, all the latest macs have wireless, so you switch it on, go to network and it'll search for wireless networks, it'll find yours and link straight away, dead easy.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Mint! I'm all over something that is easy.

While I have your attention, will I be able to copy over my pictures, iTunes music over that I have backed up on an external hard drive? ie. plug the hard drive in and copy across?
Cheers
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:28 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Mint! I'm all over something that is easy.

While I have your attention, will I be able to copy over my pictures, iTunes music over that I have backed up on an external hard drive? ie. plug the hard drive in and copy across?
Cheers
yeah for sure, just go to yout itunes and go 'add' and it should bring everything in, but use iphoto for your digital pics, its pretty great as well, you can use ot to store, catalgue, burn to DVD and even make DVD's with rolling pics and music and that.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by al dente
24inch 2.4 processor 250GB

7999, NOT 7799dhs
Just looked on the UK apple store, 24-inch: 3.06GHz, 500GB HDD, 2GB RAM - £1,359 incl. VAT. At the current exchange rate - thats around 7500 AED not including any VAT refund (if you buy it at the right place in the UK).

Just done some price comparisons for Ipod Nanos for the missus- its about 20-30% cheaper in the UK than UAE at the moment.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really nice

Originally Posted by Spugsy
good for you, I have teh 24" iMac and its a thing of beauty.
Me too! That Aluminum keyboard is the nutz!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 5:25 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Hull Lad
Me too! That Aluminum keyboard is the nutz!
aye they are ace, and the wireless mouse an all, ace.