Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Nearly owned an iMac. *stamped feet*

Nearly owned an iMac. *stamped feet*

Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:38 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nearly owned an iMac. *stamped feet*

So Spugsy, please tell me what an iMac actually does coz I have no idea...by the way, did you get my PM?
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
So Spugsy, please tell me what an iMac actually does coz I have no idea...by the way, did you get my PM?
24inch 2.4 processor 250GB

7999, NOT 7799dhs
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:06 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by al dente
24inch 2.4 processor 250GB

7999, NOT 7799dhs
But what does the bloody thing do that an ordinary PC doesn't do? We are not all IT freaks.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

But what does the bloody thing do that an ordinary PC doesn't do? We are not all IT freaks.
Ooops speed read your reply and thought you asked what it cost!

I'm not entirely sure except with the amount of vids and photo's i download, combined with my itunes library and iphone, it seemed to be the best bet.

Also, it looks great but the HP Touchpad is now the front runner for moi!

x
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:14 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

they are lovely, fantastic computers - mine has a 24" screen, I download and store all my music, films and programmes, burn CDs and DVDs, use it for the internet and storing and cataloguing my various digital pics, we use skype to talk to mates back home in video conference stylee....

all that and more, plus I do all my work on it to make a wee bit of extra money when need be.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:15 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

and aye I did, ta.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:16 am
why ayeeeee man!

macs are more expensive, thats for sure, they are beautiful machines and incredible easy to use, for installing or whatever - piece of piss, you don't have to mess about, they are brilliant.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:31 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
macs are more expensive, thats for sure, they are beautiful machines and incredible easy to use, for installing or whatever - piece of piss, you don't have to mess about, they are brilliant.
Very few viruses (at the moment) is another plus.

They kick the living crap out of Windows PCs.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:43 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by NorthernLad

yeah all over the place, they are always more expensive though, but as a designer I've always used them, I would rather iron my balls than use a PC.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:45 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NorthernLad

yes, they're brilliant at being a very usable machine and yes, not prone to virus' as much....

but...

(here comes the geek tirade...)

you pay a helluva lot in 'design tax' for an apple over a standard pc. (a good AED1k in some instances) and the software isn't as wide ranging as a windows box.

but off that topic for a sec, one thing to look out for is compatibility with your internet bank of choice. mac's have safari and firefox as web browsers and some (though very few now) internet banking applications don't play nice with them (some won't play at all!)

so if you're brand new to the mac thing, make sure you can use your normal web-based programs (banking, whatever) before you drop some dough on it.

(back to my corner now... where did i leave my bloody anorak?)
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:48 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by still.unsure
yes, they're brilliant at being a very usable machine and yes, not prone to virus' as much....

but...

(here comes the geek tirade...)

you pay a helluva lot in 'design tax' for an apple over a standard pc. (a good AED1k in some instances) and the software isn't as wide ranging as a windows box.

but off that topic for a sec, one thing to look out for is compatibility with your internet bank of choice. mac's have safari and firefox as web browsers and some (though very few now) internet banking applications don't play nice with them (some won't play at all!)

so if you're brand new to the mac thing, make sure you can use your normal web-based programs (banking, whatever) before you drop some dough on it.

(back to my corner now... where did i leave my bloody anorak?)
firefox works fine with hsbc UK, hsbc AE, cahoot, abbey etc
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

had the first gen Imac but have been on windows PC's since then as thats what i work on. However, after my current HP laptop running Vista I may change again when it has to be replaced.

I am even contemplating replacing Vista with Linux
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:07 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
had the first gen Imac but have been on windows PC's since then as thats what i work on. However, after my current HP laptop running Vista I may change again when it has to be replaced.

I am even contemplating replacing Vista with Linux
you realise macs thesedays have their whole system based on unix, it pretty much never crashes and it fairly bombproof.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

think it will be a year or two before I come to replace my laptop. and it will certainly depend on still having a job to pay for one
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Bambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to behold

Al Dente, go to the i-Style shop in Abu Dhabi Mall, they are really nice and helpful there. And I am sure that somebody has posted this already, but there is a new model coming out this month, so maybe wait a while? That's what I'm doing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.