British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Nakheel Puts Hold On Flagship Tower (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/nakheel-puts-hold-flagship-tower-584143/)

Bison Jan 14th 2009 4:25 am

Nakheel Puts Hold On Flagship Tower

Just heard on the Radio that Nakheel are stopping work on their flagship tower which was destined to become taller than the Burj Dubai. They have also laid off hundreds more labourers following the decision to down tools.

Not really a surprise is it.

busybee2 Jan 14th 2009 4:54 am

Re: Nakheel Puts Hold On Flagship Tower

heard this from a reliable source a long time ago that this particular tower would not get built... but of course who would believe me........

Meow Jan 14th 2009 10:51 am

I have also heard that there are major issues with Meydan and there is no hope of it being completed by World Cup 2010, despite the big man's statement to that effect.

-

admon Jan 14th 2009 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7166084)
I have also heard that there are major issues with Meydan and there is no hope of it being completed by World Cup 2010, despite the big man's statement to that effect.

-

yep it was pretty blatant that the 'excuse' that Arabtec and the other whojamewotsits couldn't complete on time was just an excuse to halt/delay the project.
It would be interesting to know if Maydan owe the contractors any cash...

Live for now Jan 14th 2009 2:01 pm

What you will get soon is the larger contractors pulling out because they are not getting paid by the developer, it is beginning to happen already.The smaller ones will go bust

Madam Medusa Jan 14th 2009 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7166084)

-

it's going to have to be though, i just don't see how he could allow it not to be ready given the international spotlight will be on it...

MM, xx

IndieG Jan 14th 2009 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7166906)
it's going to have to be though, i just don't see how he could allow it not to be ready given the international spotlight will be on it...

MM, xx

A very scaled down version....if at all

Grace O Malley Jan 14th 2009 2:45 pm

MM, xx

Oh defo, it would be seen as a failure, and Emiratis hate to lose face

Confucius Jan 14th 2009 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7167006)
Oh defo, it would be seen as a failure, and Emiratis hate to lose face

Pride...One of the seven deadly sins...

expat.brat Jan 14th 2009 7:41 pm

it seems to appear that dubai is being affected by this global downturn..

W10 Jan 14th 2009 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7166158)
yep it was pretty blatant that the 'excuse' that Arabtec and the other whojamewotsits couldn't complete on time was just an excuse to halt/delay the project.
It would be interesting to know if Maydan owe the contractors any cash...

And the contractor has already come out with words to that effect, saying they only had 11 months to go or something, so if they were a couple of months behind...how would sacking and then tendering for a new contractor speed the project up? They also said the delays were Meydan's fault anyway as they asked for too many revisions. Thirdly, they've already indicated they want compensation for the loss of the contract.

Blue Cat Jan 15th 2009 5:56 am

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 7169033)
And the contractor has already come out with words to that effect, saying they only had 11 months to go or something, so if they were a couple of months behind...how would sacking and then tendering for a new contractor speed the project up? They also said the delays were Meydan's fault anyway as they asked for too many revisions. Thirdly, they've already indicated they want compensation for the loss of the contract.

personally I hope it goes bust! too late for the Country Club though :(

Meow Jan 15th 2009 8:02 am

MM, xx

I bet it is giving him sleepless night. I was told that originally the intention was to have a deadline of 2011, but he was boxed into a corner publicly and announced 2010 without having agreed it with the developer. :unsure:

It would cost a ton of money to get close to completion by 2010 as they are way behind schedule now. Does Dubai still have the money to make it happen I wonder?

-

Blue Cat Jan 15th 2009 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7170631)
I bet it is giving him sleepless night. I was told that originally the intention was to have a deadline of 2011, but he was boxed into a corner publicly and announced 2010 without having agreed it with the developer. :unsure:

It would cost a ton of money to get close to completion by 2010 as they are way behind schedule now. Does Dubai still have the money to make it happen I wonder?

-

you would think not, but I have to say I was up there the other week and there were hundreds working on that stadium. It's a tough one and yes I bet it is bothering him, losing face is a big thing for them.