British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Nairobi safari travel (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/nairobi-safari-travel-768405/)

kittycat1 Aug 15th 2012 12:40 pm

Nairobi safari travel

Hi all,

I've booked a flight on a bit of a whim and now frantcially looking for a safari for Nairobi. Does anyone have any recommendations- I'll be travelling on my own so single girl friendly please and not through the roof expensive I will just be there for two night. Looking for a camping safari not hotels.

Google is coming up with so many options i don't know where to start!

anyone?

goonerseba Aug 15th 2012 2:25 pm

Re: Nairobi safari travel

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10228568)
Hi all,

I've booked a flight on a bit of a whim and now frantcially looking for a safari for Nairobi. Does anyone have any recommendations- I'll be travelling on my own so single girl friendly please and not through the roof expensive I will just be there for two night. Looking for a camping safari not hotels.

Google is coming up with so many options i don't know where to start!

anyone?

Found this on TripAdvisor. Got some good reviews. May be worth a few minutes of further research ?

Sounds an exciting trip ! :thumbup:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attract...s-Nairobi.html

mentalist Aug 15th 2012 3:31 pm

When are you going? Etihad go there for Dhs1,100 with free Dubai connection. My wife and daughter are there right now. Surely it would have been wiser to book an all-inclusive safari from here. Drop me a PM for some advice on Nairobi.

kittycat1 Aug 15th 2012 7:20 pm

Mentalist- ah the wisdom of hindsight! booked for two weeks time! possibly should have looked into it first but it was a moment of madness and irrational female thinking- hey ho flights booked now so willl just have to see where I end up! I'll pm you.

Thank you Gooner, I had had a rummage on tripadvisor- seems i may get shafted with being a solo traveller, :(

Millhouse Aug 15th 2012 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10229233)
Mentalist- ah the wisdom of hindsight! booked for two weeks time! (

Start the malaria tablets now...

kittycat1 Aug 16th 2012 10:57 am

Malaria Tablets- tick- don't have to start them til a week before I travel. I love the over the counter medication here!

Having a little freak out moment so trying to decide whether to cancel or go! Possibly a bit too spontaneous on this one!

mentalist Aug 16th 2012 11:25 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10230267)
Malaria Tablets- tick- don't have to start them til a week before I travel. I love the over the counter medication here!

Having a little freak out moment so trying to decide whether to cancel or go! Possibly a bit too spontaneous on this one!

Honestly, if you can get an almost full refund then cancel, especially as you are going to the UK too. Nairobi is not the ideal place for a single white female. Also, two days/nights is nowhere near long enough. Its a big city and an even bigger country for safari treks. Go with a companion, much safer and less costly too. Just my two pennyworth. If you fancy somewhere different, Etihad are flying to Addis Ababa for only Dhs1,000 return but not starting until early-November. I am tempted as its a beautiful green city.

DesertOcean Aug 16th 2012 11:27 am

I took those bloody pills when I backpacked through africa during my gap year. By the time I got to Kenya I came down with malaria anyway in Malindi or Lamu. Thought I was going to die before I got back to Nairobi, talk about sick.

You'll enjoy watching the animal in their native habitat, amazing game parks there. I think if I ever go back to africa again it will be to the Transkei, love the place, beautiful peaceful and nice beaches...and clean.

kittycat1 Aug 16th 2012 12:04 pm

Mentalist- noted and thank you- I would plan on going back in the future as I understand its a very short time to go for but I can't take the extra time off work at the moment and its something I've always wanted to do and I'm in need of a good distraction at the moment. :-) also I understand the single white female thing, but I don't want to not travel to places because Im on my own, I have noone else to trvel with as all my friends are married, skint or pregnant so on my tod it is.

I've managed to find a very nice tour group who are helping me and seem to have great reviews and he appears to be looking after me and has given me a great itinery for a jam packed two days! so what the hell- lifes too short to put things off! If you never hear from me again chances are ive been robbed, pilaged and murdered and fed to the big cats!

Oo Im excited - the panic has subsided (a bit)!

right what else should I think about?

mentalist Aug 16th 2012 12:45 pm

Take a camera with a powerful zoom as you rarely get as close to the animals as it would appear from other people's snaps. Be prepared for early mornings as most activity occurs around sunrise. Would be interested to see your itinerary, just out of curiosity. Who are you flying with?

goonerseba Aug 16th 2012 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10230359)
Mentalist- noted and thank you- I would plan on going back in the future as I understand its a very short time to go for but I can't take the extra time off work at the moment and its something I've always wanted to do and I'm in need of a good distraction at the moment. :-) also I understand the single white female thing, but I don't want to not travel to places because Im on my own, I have noone else to trvel with as all my friends are married, skint or pregnant so on my tod it is.

I've managed to find a very nice tour group who are helping me and seem to have great reviews and he appears to be looking after me and has given me a great itinery for a jam packed two days! so what the hell- lifes too short to put things off! If you never hear from me again chances are ive been robbed, pilaged and murdered and fed to the big cats!

May be stating the obvious - but sometimes overlooked :

High SPF sunscreen
Insect repellant spray+bands+bite stick (as the little bleeders will still get you regardless of how much spray you use).
Immodium or equiv. diarrohea tablets.
Extra memory card(s) for camera
Some local currency

Some useful tips here :-

http://www.travbuddy.com/Nairobi-travel-tips-1018681

:cool:

Miss Anne Thrope Aug 16th 2012 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10230359)

Good for you. You have the right attitude to enjoy it. Keep your wits about you, be patient but firm (a bit like here) and go with an open heart. Nairobi can be a challenging destination but it's better than it used to be and definitely manageable. If it's your first time to Africa then I am very envious. I'm interested to hear your itinerary also.

Miss Anne Thrope Aug 16th 2012 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10230267)

If you're staying in the Nairobi vicinity, do you really need Malaria treatment? It's pretty elevated there - why the climate is so nice - and the mosquitoes are not malarial if I'm not mistaken (different on the coast)?

mentalist Aug 16th 2012 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10230567)
If you're staying in the Nairobi vicinity, do you really need Malaria treatment? It's pretty elevated there - why the climate is so nice - and the mosquitoes are not malarial if I'm not mistaken (different on the coast)?

As I told KC earlier. we have visied NBI countless times (well, over 20) and have never bothered with anti-malaria tablets. We have deployed mosquito nets occasionally, simply to prevent ordinary bites which can itch badly.

kittycat1 Aug 16th 2012 2:58 pm

Miss AT I'll post my itinery once its all finalised, travelling to blighty tonight so all a bit manic (seeing a pattern here?)

and yes its my first time to africa(excluding Egypt but I don't count that as africa)- will be heading out to the Massai Mara and camping out a tent so think the malaria tablets are a definite as I am like honey to a bear when it comes to mozzies! I will be showering in deet! mmm lovely :D oo im excited- now what to pack for blighty....