My heart goes out

Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:53 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My heart goes out

Originally Posted by ctfc
Not everyone was a goody-two shoes like you Norm.

Teenagers suffer from the classic case of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and can rationalise a lot of stupid stuff. But then so do we adults - I know a lot of people here who drink way too much, several of whom will drive their car after drinking ("it's only a short journey..."), and who can seriously try and logically defend smoking cigarettes?
I wasn't a goody-two shoes at all...I was just barely intelligent and lucky enough not to try hard drugs or sniff glue because I felt it was stupid to potentially waste my life away just because other kids did it. I've always been independantly minded so following the herd isn't my style - it's a family trait.

I completely agree that a little knowledge is a dangerous things...parents need to educate their children more on life and it's pitfalls and dangers. Also completely agree about drinking and driving for any reason - as for smoking...I don't care as long as people don't force other people to breath in their smoke it hurts no one but the smoker...

N.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:01 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I wasn't a goody-two shoes at all...I was just barely intelligent and lucky enough not to try hard drugs or sniff glue because I felt it was stupid to potentially waste my life away just because other kids did it. I've always been independantly minded so following the herd isn't my style - it's a family trait.

I completely agree that a little knowledge is a dangerous things...parents need to educate their children more on life and it's pitfalls and dangers. Also completely agree about drinking and driving for any reason - as for smoking...I don't care as long as people don't force other people to breath in their smoke it hurts no one but the smoker...

N.
As a smoker, I have never fully understood that statement...

How do I 'force' someone to breath in my smoke? Hold them down and exhale into their mouths whilst pinching their nose shut???
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
As a smoker, I have never fully understood that statement...

How do I 'force' someone to breath in my smoke? Hold them down and exhale into their mouths whilst pinching their nose shut???
You 'force' them if you smoke in an environment (say, a closed room) where they are unable to make a choice to leave, or see no reason why they should.

Smoking is thankfully banned now in many places where people assemble in common in the UK (bars and most restaurants, for example).

Out here, I'm now a smoker - I've never even had a puff of a cigarette, but I must inhale quite a few while watching football in smoky bars. My clothes certainly smell like they belong to a heavy smoker.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:32 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
You 'force' them if you smoke in an environment (say, a closed room) where they are unable to make a choice to leave, or see no reason why they should.

Smoking is thankfully banned now in many places where people assemble in common in the UK (bars and most restaurants, for example).

Out here, I'm now a smoker - I've never even had a puff of a cigarette, but I must inhale quite a few while watching football in smoky bars. My clothes certainly smell like they belong to a heavy smoker.
So, if I am fully within my rights to light up, I am classified as 'forcing it on others' if they see no reason to leave..??

Surely, if they see no reason to leave, they are accepting of the fact that I see no reason NOT to smoke...
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

So, if I am fully within my rights to light up, I am classified as 'forcing it on others' if they see no reason to leave..??

Surely, if they see no reason to leave, they are accepting of the fact that I see no reason NOT to smoke...
........ an attitude that explains precisely why such smoking bans are necessary.

A question: if a restaurant allowed smoking, and the people on the next table were half-way through their meal when you lit a cigarette, would you put it out of they asked you to?
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:42 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by The Dean
........ an attitude that explains precisely why such smoking bans are necessary.

A question: if a restaurant allowed smoking, and the people on the next table were half-way through their meal when you lit a cigarette, would you put it out of they asked you to?
If they were halfway thru their meal, I wouldnt have lit up....
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:57 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately your consideration is rare.

On a recent occasion in Hemingways where I politely asked someone if they would be so kind as to not hold their cigarette at eye-level (whilst not taking a drag obviously, but the smoke that comes off the end like that seems to be especially unpleasant) as the smoke was streaming across my face, I was subjected to a complete torrent of abuse. Naturally, I then punched the stupid cow in the face, but it was all quite unnecessary.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:57 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

even people on a seperate table? come off it..
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
I'm with TGFKASE. I am a smoker and wouldn't dream of lighting up next to someone that was eating. I'd wait until the table had finished.

-
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:11 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by commander
Nope, I stand by my statement.. I do not light up until everyone at my table and those around me have finished.. I get VERY annoyed when someone doesnt do likewise..

And before someone asks, Im a 30 a day man..
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:11 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Unfortunately your consideration is rare.

On a recent occasion in Hemingways where I politely asked someone if they would be so kind as to not hold their cigarette at eye-level (whilst not taking a drag obviously, but the smoke that comes off the end like that seems to be especially unpleasant) as the smoke was streaming across my face, I was subjected to a complete torrent of abuse. Naturally, I then punched the stupid cow in the face, but it was all quite unnecessary.
I assume you were eating...

If not, I'd have smacked you back.. Bloody righteous non-smokers...
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:18 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

And as the classic chat-up line goes, you only like a cigarette after sex?
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:18 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

And as the classic chat-up line goes, you only like a cigarette after sex?
A gentleman doesnt smoke and tell....
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, I stand by my statement.. I do not light up until everyone at my table and those around me have finished.. I get VERY annoyed when someone doesnt do likewise..

I do the same. Sad thing is , a few do wrong, all have to suffer, as it is with so many things . ( a few smokers are inconsiderate, all have to suffer smoking bans).

I find it simply ridiculous not to be allowed to smoke in bars, the same goes for coffee shops. (There should be smoking sections, if nothing else) I do not frequent either where a smoking ban is in place, as I do not enjoy either without a smoke.

Also, why do smoking rooms have to be utterly dismal? Bad aircon, dirty etc?
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
I do the same. Sad thing is , a few do wrong, all have to suffer, as it is with so many things . ( a few smokers are inconsiderate, all have to suffer smoking bans).

I find it simply ridiculous not to be allowed to smoke in bars, the same goes for coffee shops. (There should be smoking sections, if nothing else) I do not frequent either where a smoking ban is in place, as I do not enjoy either without a smoke.

Also, why do smoking rooms have to be utterly dismal? Bad aircon, dirty etc?
having a smoking section in a bar is like having a pissing section in a pool and the smoking rooms are all dismal and dirty because of the smokers shirley ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.