British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   My first RTA in Doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/my-first-rta-doha-616007/)

littlejimmy Jun 21st 2009 9:53 am

My first RTA in Doha
 
Never, EVER, tempt fate.

I had a little scrape with White LC Man yesterday and related it to some friends. I went on to say that I haven't had any scratches on my car.

Guess what.

Today I have more than a scratch. I have a pretty much destroyed rear end following a disgareement with a bus at the TV round-about this morning (it's one of these in Doha with traffic lights all the way round it). I was on my way to work and making my way across the round-about and the lights quickly changed...maybe too quick for someone who hasn't had their first coffeee...and I braked rather sharply to avoid going through the now red light. The guy driving the mini-bus behind me was too close and was caught out and slammed into me quite hard. It hurt quite a lot, I can tell you. I had to sit for a minute or so before I could even move out of my seat. My neck and back were very sore (still are).

The police were on the scene immediately and insisted on calling an ambulance for me. I did manage to move the car off the round-about but the pains in my neck and back were pretty bad so I let them strap me onto the spinal board and take me to Hamad. A few hours later and after about a dozen x-rays I was discharged and am now at home feeling a bit, well, philosphical. I will think twice about tempting fate again. I am having an interesting year, that's for sure.

Grace O Malley Jun 21st 2009 9:56 am

Re: My first RTA in Doha
 

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7685084)
Never, EVER, tempt fate.

I had a little scrape with White LC Man yesterday and related it to some friends. I went on to say that I haven't had any scratches on my car.

Guess what.

Today I have more than a scratch. I have a pretty much destroyed rear end following a disgareement with a bus at the TV round-about this morning (it's one of these in Doha with traffic lights all the way round it). I was on my way to work and making my way across the round-about and the lights quickly changed...maybe too quick for someone who hasn't had their first coffeee...and I braked rather sharply to avoid going through the now red light. The guy driving the mini-bus behind me was too close and was caught out and slammed into me quite hard. It hurt quite a lot, I can tell you. I had to sit for a minute or so before I could even move out of my seat. My neck and back were very sore (still are).

The police were on the scene immediately and insisted on calling an ambulance for me. I did manage to move the car off the round-about but the pains in my neck and back were pretty bad so I let them strap me onto the spinal board and take me to Hamad. A few hours later and after about a dozen x-rays I was discharged and am now at home feeling a bit, well, philosphical. I will think twice about tempting fate again. I am having an interesting year, that's for sure.


Oh thanks be to god you're ok, did your legs wobble:wub:

littlejimmy Jun 21st 2009 10:02 am

Re: My first RTA in Doha
 

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 7685089)
Oh thanks be to god you're ok, did your legs wobble:wub:

No, they didn't! :rofl: It was too bloody painful to get aroused.

lionheart Jun 21st 2009 10:04 am

Re: My first RTA in Doha
 
Glad you weren't too badly shaken. So did the mininbus driver get taken off to jail?

littlejimmy Jun 21st 2009 10:14 am

Re: My first RTA in Doha
 

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7685101)
Glad you weren't too badly shaken. So did the mininbus driver get taken off to jail?

Thanks, LH. :) I don't know about the driver. Hope he doesn't get too much grief. I'll find out tomorrow when I go to police HQ.

Blue Cat Jun 22nd 2009 9:19 am

Re: My first RTA in Doha
 

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7685117)
Thanks, LH. :) I don't know about the driver. Hope he doesn't get too much grief. I'll find out tomorrow when I go to police HQ.

so how are you today?

littlejimmy Jun 22nd 2009 2:21 pm

Re: My first RTA in Doha
 

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7687455)
so how are you today?

Whiplash has really kicked in and it hurts like ****. Went back to the hospital for more tests. They did a CT scan and said there is no bone damage but the muscles and ligaments are obviously shagged. GOt a brace on now and they signed me off for another 10 days for full rest. Said driving and computers (yeah, I know, I'm lying down with my laptop perched on my knees) are out. I read somewhere that the average person takes 39 days off in the first 3 months. I can't countenance the idea of all this time off. I rreally don't know what I'm gonna tell work. :confused:

But good to see you back, BC, if nothing else!

Blue Cat Jun 22nd 2009 2:41 pm

Re: My first RTA in Doha
 
tell them the truth, you had a car accident, there is nothing they can say :(

littlejimmy Jun 22nd 2009 4:01 pm

Re: My first RTA in Doha
 

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7688298)
tell them the truth, you had a car accident, there is nothing they can say :(

I think I might actually go mad if I have to sit in the apartment for 10 days.

soukie Jun 22nd 2009 4:41 pm

Re: My first RTA in Doha
 
Cheer up littlejimmy - it could have been worse. I hate the traffic lights in this part of the world - they always change so fast - I have lost count of the number of amber lights I have had to go through as the idiot behind me was too close to stop! AD now have lights that flash green when they are about to change which is a big improvement but there's still a long way to go.......

Blue Cat Jun 23rd 2009 4:18 am

Re: My first RTA in Doha
 

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7688462)
I think I might actually go mad if I have to sit in the apartment for 10 days.

madder ;)

Grace O Malley Jun 23rd 2009 11:46 am

Re: My first RTA in Doha
 
hey LJ hope you feeling better today, no leg shaking for you for a while then......

littlejimmy Jun 23rd 2009 12:06 pm

Re: My first RTA in Doha
 

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 7690739)
hey LJ hope you feeling better today, no leg shaking for you for a while then......

:D I'm sure I can manage if I lie flat on my back.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:14 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.