British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   My First Marathon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/my-first-marathon-875696/)

Millhouse Apr 16th 2016 6:58 am

Re: My First Marathon

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 11923691)
A friend of mine recently completed her first ultra marathon between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Because it was along the canal it was very flat. According to several of her fellow runners it is easier to run when there is changeable terrain as you're not using the same muscle groups constantly.

I'm sort of assuming that you won't be constantly ascending all the time during the run, are you also training on flat and downhill stuff?

Flat yes, downwards not so much.

Bahtatboy Apr 16th 2016 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11924486)
Flat yes, downwards not so much.

So it's one way. How d'you get back? Could you post a link to a site with info, sounds truly interesting (and bonkers). :blink:

Millhouse Apr 16th 2016 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11924508)
So it's one way. How d'you get back? Could you post a link to a site with info, sounds truly interesting (and bonkers). :blink:

Sorry, I was only referring to the training. The GWC is an out-n-back, you do 21km, turn round and come back. So yes, on the real thing there are ups and downs.

https://www.facebook.com/GreatWallOfChinaMarathon/

As for running up Jebal Hafeet, we had a support car driving up and down checking on us and to bring us down for the second go.

moneypenny20 Apr 16th 2016 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11924523)
Sorry, I was only referring to the training. The GWC is an out-n-back, you do 21km, turn round and come back. So yes, on the real thing there are ups and downs.

https://www.facebook.com/GreatWallOfChinaMarathon/

As for running up Jebal Hafeet, we had a support car driving up and down checking on us and to bring us down for the second go.

There's a lot of mention of leg breakers on that page. I think you're a tad weird.:lol:

Edit: I take it back, I've just gone through the photos and comments. You're bloody psycho!:blink: :eek:

Millhouse Apr 18th 2016 12:28 pm

We will be doing Jebal Hafeet three times on 29th April. Rock on. 33km and 3000m of aggregate climb. That will be the last long run before the event.

jam25mack Apr 18th 2016 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11925869)
We will be doing Jebal Hafeet three times on 29th April. Rock on. 33km and 3000m of aggregate climb. That will be the last long run before the event.

Screw that! Nearly died when I did Wadi Bih a few years ago....

Have you looked at Al Jais? 30km from the roundabout to the barrier at the construction site entrance. Flat for the first 5, then about 4% grade to 15Km and then a consistent 6% to the top.

Edit. Also probably a bit cooler than JH too.

Irishbeekeeper Apr 18th 2016 3:19 pm

After reading all this I have decided to start taking the stairs to my 2nd floor apartment instead of using the lift from now on and in totally un-related news, I have decided to not talk to anyone for the first 10 minutes after I get back (gasping for breath really doesnt make too good a conversation) ;)

Bahtatboy Apr 18th 2016 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11925869)

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11926031)
After reading all this I have decided to start taking the stairs to my 2nd floor apartment instead of using the lift from now on and in totally un-related news, I have decided to not talk to anyone for the first 10 minutes after I get back (gasping for breath really doesnt make too good a conversation) ;)

After reading that I've decided to get a Stannah stair lift. One made in China.

Millhouse Apr 20th 2016 10:43 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 11925989)
Screw that! Nearly died when I did Wadi Bih a few years ago....

Have you looked at Al Jais? 30km from the roundabout to the barrier at the construction site entrance. Flat for the first 5, then about 4% grade to 15Km and then a consistent 6% to the top.

Edit. Also probably a bit cooler than JH too.

Thanks Jam - this is a good shout.

I'd actually booked a hotel in Al Ain for next weekend so am committed to JH. This might be interesting for the weekend after.

Old doc Apr 20th 2016 4:56 pm

If you get blisters, then apparently binding the affected areas of your feet with 3M Micropore tape before you run is the best way to prevent them, or so I read recently. HTH.

jam25mack Apr 21st 2016 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11927539)
Thanks Jam - this is a good shout.

I'd actually booked a hotel in Al Ain for next weekend so am committed to JH. This might be interesting for the weekend after.

No worries. Drop me a PM if you want me to email over a google earth file of the alignment. It's only a rough one but will let you see the elevation changes.

Millhouse Apr 23rd 2016 9:38 am

Three hour "run" this morning - warmed up with a 1.5km run before the tower, entered the tower's basement and started running from the basement to the top (20+1 floors) and for a change - run back down, 20 times of that, followed by a 5km warm down run outside (at 11.30am!), and a 1.5km walk home.

I need to try and estimate how far the running in the tower actually is, I reckon somewhere around 300m per go up, plus the climb up. This would be around 12km (up and down) of running in the tower and 2000m of climb.

Feel pretty good, massive lunch.

Bahtatboy Apr 23rd 2016 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11930133)
I need to try and estimate how far the running in the tower actually is, I reckon somewhere around 300m per go up, plus the climb up. This would be around 12km (up and down) of running in the tower and 2000m of climb.

The QS in me says that most of the storeys will be the same height, and all the steps will be. Measure one step, count the steps in one storey, count the storeys, do some arithmetic. :unsure:

Millhouse Apr 23rd 2016 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11930178)
The QS in me says that most of the storeys will be the same height, and all the steps will be. Measure one step, count the steps in one storey, count the storeys, do some arithmetic. :unsure:

For sure. From what I can see the first 3 floors are all different (basement is tripple depth, the lobby double, the second has a mezz, after that, all standard) will measure later!

Irishbeekeeper Apr 23rd 2016 2:00 pm

great make me feel fat-ter why dont you? if that was even possible ;)