British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   My First Marathon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/my-first-marathon-875696/)

Millhouse Apr 10th 2016 11:24 am

My First Marathon

So... at the grand old age of (almost) 38, I've decided to run a marathon. I hate running.

Which is why I've chosen the World's Hardest Marathon... 42km on the great wall of china, all on stairs. It's in May.

I have no idea if I will or can complete it. I'm reasonably well trained, but the farthest I've ever done was a half Marathon in DC around a month ago which to be honest I thought was fairly easy (although I was slow: 2hours 15mins) - I am very well trained on stairs.

As I basically dislike everyone and everything apart from kids, I've chosen a kids charity.

https://www.justgiving.com/WallRunner

Here's the page - feel free to donate, ignore or take the piss.

Cheers, S

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 10th 2016 11:38 am

Re: My First Marathon

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11918829)
So... at the grand old age of (almost) 38, I've decided to run a marathon. I hate running.

Which is why I've chosen the World's Hardest Marathon... 42km on the great wall of china, all on stairs. It's in May.

I have no idea if I will or can complete it. I'm reasonably well trained, but the farthest I've ever done was a half Marathon in DC around a month ago which to be honest I thought was fairly easy (although I was slow: 2hours 15mins) - I am very well trained on stairs.

As I basically dislike everyone and everything apart from kids, I've chosen a kids charity.

https://www.justgiving.com/WallRunner

Here's the page - feel free to donate, ignore or take the piss.

Cheers, S

So...you like kids?

Adam Johnson got locked up for that mate.

Sponsorship done. Mental idea, so good luck and I hope there aren't any big steps.

Millhouse Apr 10th 2016 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11918839)
So...you like kids?

Adam Johnson got locked up for that mate.

Sponsorship done. Mental idea, so good luck and I hope there aren't any big steps.

haha.... some of the steps are like 70cm! that's my past my waist.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 10th 2016 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11918843)
haha.... some of the steps are like 70cm! that's my past my waist.

:rofl::rofl:

I honestly don't like making short jokes because you're actually a nice human being. I just can't help myself. I'm sorry.

TheShed Apr 10th 2016 12:20 pm

Given that its such a ridiculous marathon to start your career and the fact that I saw you fueling up in Taqado today - I will sponsor you as well. Give me a few hours to get to a computer.

Good luck :-)

DXBtoDOH Apr 10th 2016 12:23 pm

Forget it. 42 kms of steps without any serious advance training? You'll damage your body. And knees. And you do not want to damage your knees.

If you aim to do it a year from now then it's doable.

Millhouse Apr 10th 2016 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11918867)
Forget it. 42 kms of steps without any serious advance training? You'll damage your body. And knees. And you do not want to damage your knees.

If you aim to do it a year from now then it's doable.

I might be more trained that I've alluded to...

I ran up Jebal Hafeet a couple of weeks ago, am going to do it twice this weekend. :lol:

Meow Apr 10th 2016 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11918870)

I ran up Jebal Hafeet a couple of weeks ago, am going to do it twice this weekend. :lol:

This is what happens if you don't spend enough time in bars.

iggle Apr 10th 2016 12:51 pm

Let me look in my wallet to see if i have any change....

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 10th 2016 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11918884)
This is what happens if you don't spend enough time in bars.

:goodpost:

She's right you know.

Irishbeekeeper Apr 10th 2016 1:59 pm

good luck mate
they are right about the knees and ankle bit you know
I have a dodgy knee AND a dodgy ankle on the same side (didnt know I had them till I took up squash again) and trust me when I say this that it is not fun to live with or for it to act up after you reach an older age

Bob Apr 10th 2016 6:28 pm

Good luck...but you're mental! :D

co durham boy Apr 12th 2016 3:30 am

Good luck and to be honest it looks like a pretty difficult task . i just did the RAK half and struggled and count myself as pretty fit and and in good shape for my age .

I reckon if you need some structured core training for that mate . Compound moves and core work will be a must .

Millhouse Apr 12th 2016 6:28 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11920453)
Good luck and to be honest it looks like a pretty difficult task . i just did the RAK half and struggled and count myself as pretty fit and and in good shape for my age .

I reckon if you need some structured core training for that mate . Compound moves and core work will be a must .

I have the core of a 90s Peter Andre mate.

Inselaffen Apr 12th 2016 7:30 am

Had a mate who was signed up for that a few years ago. forgot to set his alarm clock and missed it :)

Bahtatboy Apr 12th 2016 10:10 am

How high is the wall?

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 12th 2016 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11920685)
How high is the wall?

Double the height it is to the middle?

Millhouse Apr 13th 2016 10:54 am

1 Attachment(s)
Height:

4 climbs of 600+m, and a few other little ones. To put this into perspective, the Shard in London is 300m, or the Burj is 800m.

I ran my tower last night 9 times - total climb of 200 floors, so maybe around 600m, it took an hour.

Attached is the elevation plan for those interested or terminally bored.

Attachment 124463

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 13th 2016 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11921683)
Height:

4 climbs of 600+m, and a few other little ones. To put this into perspective, the Shard in London is 300m, or the Burj is 800m.

I ran my tower last night 9 times - total climb of 200 floors, so maybe around 600m, it took an hour.

Attachment 124463

****. That.

moneypenny20 Apr 13th 2016 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11921683)
Height:

Attachment 124463

From a random a long long way away I think you're barking but all the luck (and training) in the world.:fingerscrossed:

Millhouse Apr 13th 2016 11:33 am

1 Attachment(s)
It's certainly not easy and the security guard thinks I'm nuts as I keep running past him out of the lifts in the basement.

Attached is my heart rate profile for last night. Red means full anaerobic with a heart rate in excess of 90%+ of the maximum - so around 170bpm for me. You can see the recovery as I take the lift down. I've been doing this for a while now.

Attachment 124464

(not forgetting that the stairwell is at around 25C and the car park about 32C at the moment)

Bahtatboy Apr 13th 2016 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11921716)
It's certainly not easy and the security guard thinks I'm nuts as I keep running past him out of the lifts in the basement.

Attached is my heart rate profile for last night. Red means full anaerobic with a heart rate in excess of 90%+ of the maximum - so around 170bpm for me. You can see the recovery as I take the lift down. I've been doing this for a while now.

Attachment 124464

(not forgetting that the stairwell is at around 25C and the car park about 32C at the moment)

'king L (for the HR, 9 x 200 storeys and the wall profile). I've just got back into erging (brought a Concept2 back with me this time), and currently peaking around 80% of maxHR, although there's a different way of calculating maxHR once you're over 40, apparently. Struggling to grasp the reality of 9 x 200 storeys, though. Respect.

Edit: Ah, just realised not 9 x 200 but 9 = 200. Even though that's a lot of stairs...

Meow Apr 13th 2016 12:03 pm

I don't even properly understand it but I am exhausted just reading about your exertions!

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 13th 2016 1:16 pm

Attachment 124464

Wow.

Why take lift though? Is it to make it more interval like or just to catch breath?

Assumption being made from the elevation is that you'll have to go down stairs too?

TheShed Apr 13th 2016 1:46 pm

Attachment 124464

Damn!!! That's serious excercise MH. On an average 90km bike ride I ascend about 400m in TOTAL. If I'm really giving it stick I peak out at 165bpm (I am 10 years older than you). Kudos mate. Don't let me forget to do the sponsorship if you don't see it shortly.

Millhouse Apr 13th 2016 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11921842)
Wow.

Why take lift though? Is it to make it more interval like or just to catch breath?

Assumption being made from the elevation is that you'll have to go down stairs too?

Going down doesn't do much from a training perspective but it will screw your knees. Keep them fresh for the day.

Millhouse Apr 13th 2016 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 11921883)
Damn!!! That's serious excercise MH. On an average 90km bike ride I ascend about 400m in TOTAL. If I'm really giving it stick I peak out at 165bpm (I am 10 years older than you). Kudos mate. Don't let me forget to do the sponsorship if you don't see it shortly.

Loads of guys ride up Jebal Hafeet on Fridays. They have it harder than the runners in my opinion as I'm not trying to drag up another 7kg over my weight.

JH is 1000m climb over 11.5km.

And respect on 90km!

TheShed Apr 13th 2016 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11921943)
Loads of guys ride up Jebal Hafeet on Fridays. They have it harder than the runners in my opinion as I'm not trying to drag up another 7kg over my weight.

JH is 1000m climb over 11.5km.

And respect on 90km!

I'm just a bit too old and fat for JH now :(. 90 is my normal Friday, trying to build up to the holy grail of cycling. (100 miles non stop) :).

Millhouse Apr 15th 2016 9:38 am

Jeball Hafeet done twice this morning. Properly mental challenge. Almost 2000m of aggregate ascent over around 20km. 4.30am start in Dubai for a 6am at the rock.

Frankly the first time was easy. The second time was very tough though and there was more walking than running for sure - it was also starting to warm up. I went with a friend (who is also doing GW-China with me). He gave me a 3km headstart on the second round and the bastard still sailed past me. We were suppose to cross the finish together! I take no comfort in the fact he is 10 years younger!

Theseus Apr 15th 2016 10:31 am

A friend of mine recently completed her first ultra marathon between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Because it was along the canal it was very flat. According to several of her fellow runners it is easier to run when there is changeable terrain as you're not using the same muscle groups constantly.

I'm sort of assuming that you won't be constantly ascending all the time during the run, are you also training on flat and downhill stuff?

Millhouse Apr 16th 2016 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 11923691)
A friend of mine recently completed her first ultra marathon between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Because it was along the canal it was very flat. According to several of her fellow runners it is easier to run when there is changeable terrain as you're not using the same muscle groups constantly.

I'm sort of assuming that you won't be constantly ascending all the time during the run, are you also training on flat and downhill stuff?

Flat yes, downwards not so much.

Bahtatboy Apr 16th 2016 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11924486)
Flat yes, downwards not so much.

So it's one way. How d'you get back? Could you post a link to a site with info, sounds truly interesting (and bonkers). :blink:

Millhouse Apr 16th 2016 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11924508)
So it's one way. How d'you get back? Could you post a link to a site with info, sounds truly interesting (and bonkers). :blink:

Sorry, I was only referring to the training. The GWC is an out-n-back, you do 21km, turn round and come back. So yes, on the real thing there are ups and downs.

https://www.facebook.com/GreatWallOfChinaMarathon/

As for running up Jebal Hafeet, we had a support car driving up and down checking on us and to bring us down for the second go.

moneypenny20 Apr 16th 2016 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11924523)
Sorry, I was only referring to the training. The GWC is an out-n-back, you do 21km, turn round and come back. So yes, on the real thing there are ups and downs.

https://www.facebook.com/GreatWallOfChinaMarathon/

As for running up Jebal Hafeet, we had a support car driving up and down checking on us and to bring us down for the second go.

There's a lot of mention of leg breakers on that page. I think you're a tad weird.:lol:

Edit: I take it back, I've just gone through the photos and comments. You're bloody psycho!:blink: :eek:

Millhouse Apr 18th 2016 12:28 pm

We will be doing Jebal Hafeet three times on 29th April. Rock on. 33km and 3000m of aggregate climb. That will be the last long run before the event.

jam25mack Apr 18th 2016 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11925869)
We will be doing Jebal Hafeet three times on 29th April. Rock on. 33km and 3000m of aggregate climb. That will be the last long run before the event.

Screw that! Nearly died when I did Wadi Bih a few years ago....

Have you looked at Al Jais? 30km from the roundabout to the barrier at the construction site entrance. Flat for the first 5, then about 4% grade to 15Km and then a consistent 6% to the top.

Edit. Also probably a bit cooler than JH too.

Irishbeekeeper Apr 18th 2016 3:19 pm

After reading all this I have decided to start taking the stairs to my 2nd floor apartment instead of using the lift from now on and in totally un-related news, I have decided to not talk to anyone for the first 10 minutes after I get back (gasping for breath really doesnt make too good a conversation) ;)

Bahtatboy Apr 18th 2016 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11925869)

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11926031)
After reading all this I have decided to start taking the stairs to my 2nd floor apartment instead of using the lift from now on and in totally un-related news, I have decided to not talk to anyone for the first 10 minutes after I get back (gasping for breath really doesnt make too good a conversation) ;)

After reading that I've decided to get a Stannah stair lift. One made in China.

Millhouse Apr 20th 2016 10:43 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 11925989)
Screw that! Nearly died when I did Wadi Bih a few years ago....

Have you looked at Al Jais? 30km from the roundabout to the barrier at the construction site entrance. Flat for the first 5, then about 4% grade to 15Km and then a consistent 6% to the top.

Edit. Also probably a bit cooler than JH too.

Thanks Jam - this is a good shout.

I'd actually booked a hotel in Al Ain for next weekend so am committed to JH. This might be interesting for the weekend after.

Old doc Apr 20th 2016 4:56 pm

If you get blisters, then apparently binding the affected areas of your feet with 3M Micropore tape before you run is the best way to prevent them, or so I read recently. HTH.