British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Must have smartphone apps in Qatar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/must-have-smartphone-apps-qatar-823410/)

PKUSQA Jan 30th 2014 8:01 pm

Must have smartphone apps in Qatar

So I will be formally accepting an offer to move to Doha within the next week and will be moving probably within 6-8 weeks. I travel considerably for my work here in the US and have realized that smartphone apps have been a life saver for me on my occasions.

Just wondering if there are some useful apps that you all recommend which help make life easier in the "developed" :fingerscrossed:state of Qatar.

Thoughts?

britexpat76 Jan 30th 2014 9:14 pm

Re: Must have smartphone apps in Qatar

Originally Posted by PKUSQA (Post 11105049)
So I will be formally accepting an offer to move to Doha within the next week and will be moving probably within 6-8 weeks. I travel considerably for my work here in the US and have realized that smartphone apps have been a life saver for me on my occasions.

Just wondering if there are some useful apps that you all recommend which help make life easier in the "developed" :fingerscrossed:state of Qatar.

Thoughts?

Skyscanner to plan trips away.............

PKUSQA Jan 30th 2014 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11105187)
Skyscanner to plan trips away.............

That's a good start. Its a great app and I am hoping to travel once I settle in.

Johnnyboy11 Jan 31st 2014 3:38 am

Originally Posted by PKUSQA (Post 11105234)
That's a good start. Its a great app and I am hoping to travel once I settle in.

An app which detects sarcasm, I think you need one...

OriginalSunshine Jan 31st 2014 3:41 am

Originally Posted by PKUSQA (Post 11105234)

only if you get your exit visa ;)

Johnnyboy11 Jan 31st 2014 6:50 am

'Arab Alert' is quite good. It scans the microphone for any hint of a Middle East accent, and the phone vibrates to warn you that you're being lied to.

There's 'Lebo Alert' too, which has similar functionlity, but warns you in advance by detecting the sound of pointy shoes on floor tiles.

:)

Bahtatboy Jan 31st 2014 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 (Post 11105710)
'Arab Alert' is quite good. It scans the microphone for any hint of a Middle East accent, and the phone vibrates to warn you that you're being lied to.

There's 'Lebo Alert' too, which has similar functionlity, but warns you in advance by detecting the sound of pointy shoes on floor tiles.

:)

'Racism Alert' is worth having, too.

Johnnyboy11 Jan 31st 2014 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11105842)
'Racism Alert' is worth having, too.

Your phone would be out of charge in minutes using that app in Doha!

PKUSQA Jan 31st 2014 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 (Post 11105600)
An app which detects sarcasm, I think you need one...

Ah - yes, my sarcasm radar must have been off when I read that comment. Its an after effect of having been stuck in an airport for 6 hours :p

seven seas Feb 3rd 2014 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 (Post 11105854)
Your phone would be out of charge in minutes using that app in Doha!

Add a "Missing The Hint" alert to the shopping list.

Bahtatboy Feb 3rd 2014 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 11110956)

:nod:

Johnnyboy11 Feb 3rd 2014 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 11110956)

I've had to remove the 'Irony App' from my phone. It scans the BE forums but kept returning a #DIV/0!@Post#7 error when it scans this thread :)

OriginalSunshine Feb 4th 2014 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 (Post 11111207)
I've had to remove the 'Irony App' from my phone. It scans the BE forums but kept returning a #DIV/0!@Post#7 error when it scans this thread :)

you get that too? :rofl:

amy77 Feb 5th 2014 7:42 am

I don't post often, but I was just browsing and thought I would attempt to be helpful! I have the following apps related to Qatar:

AICinema (all the cinema listings for Qatar and surprisingly it actually works. Except I never go to the cinema due to the arctic conditions and constant talking, not to mention the over-zealous editing, but anyway......)

Ayna - I have no idea what this is and I never use it, but just found it on my phone....looks quite good actually! Kind of a general info thing I think.

iTraffic and iTrip - genuinely useful for route planning and traffic avoidance and surprisingly they actually work (whenever anything works in Qatar, it always comes as a surprise)

Qatar Laws: no idea, just deleted it as didn't seem to work (how much crap do I have on my phone, no wonder it hardly works?!)

Traffic Qatar - for checking out how many traffic fines a car has, useful for making you feel better/worse when an idiot in a LandCruiser cuts you up aggressively

There are also apps by Baladiya (sort of environmental health service for Qatar) and Metrash (sort of big brother type thing) which I haven't got. Plus ones specific to the services you use like the bank and telecoms provider. If you live on the Pearl there is an app for that too.

I also highly recommend getting involved with Twitter - it's massive over here and it makes sense in a way which it never did when I lived in the UK. It's how I find out about everything!

PKUSQA Feb 5th 2014 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by amy77 (Post 11114115)
I don't post often, but I was just browsing and thought I would attempt to be helpful! I have the following apps related to Qatar:

AICinema (all the cinema listings for Qatar and surprisingly it actually works. Except I never go to the cinema due to the arctic conditions and constant talking, not to mention the over-zealous editing, but anyway......)

Ayna - I have no idea what this is and I never use it, but just found it on my phone....looks quite good actually! Kind of a general info thing I think.

iTraffic and iTrip - genuinely useful for route planning and traffic avoidance and surprisingly they actually work (whenever anything works in Qatar, it always comes as a surprise)

Qatar Laws: no idea, just deleted it as didn't seem to work (how much crap do I have on my phone, no wonder it hardly works?!)

Traffic Qatar - for checking out how many traffic fines a car has, useful for making you feel better/worse when an idiot in a LandCruiser cuts you up aggressively

There are also apps by Baladiya (sort of environmental health service for Qatar) and Metrash (sort of big brother type thing) which I haven't got. Plus ones specific to the services you use like the bank and telecoms provider. If you live on the Pearl there is an app for that too.

I also highly recommend getting involved with Twitter - it's massive over here and it makes sense in a way which it never did when I lived in the UK. It's how I find out about everything!

Thank you Amy for this value added post. I'll check these out.