Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Music not allowed in Islam?

Music not allowed in Islam?

Old Jul 1st 2010, 9:04 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Music not allowed in Islam?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...c-lessons.html

What about the Arabian Oud? The traditional Arabian dances (ok, normally male only, I believe?) but still danced to music (tuned in by accident a couple of yrs ago to a Saudi channel and saw this in a huge arena - we're transfixed ... or hypnotised ... for at least 40 minutes until our phone rang). The history of story-telling accompanied by music?

Maybe it's something about fingering those ivories, plucking the strings, performing a wonderful b1owjob on a tromBONE or, perhaps, puckering their lips around another type of mouthpiece?

Anyone have have any other suggestions why this should be so?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Music not allowed in Islam?

My tenancy agreement has a clause saying I'm not allowed to play music or sing :-( I know I'm tone deaf but I don't sing that loudly!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:45 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd

What about the Arabian Oud? The traditional Arabian dances (ok, normally male only, I believe?) but still danced to music (tuned in by accident a couple of yrs ago to a Saudi channel and saw this in a huge arena - we're transfixed ... or hypnotised ... for at least 40 minutes until our phone rang). The history of story-telling accompanied by music?

Maybe it's something about fingering those ivories, plucking the strings, performing a wonderful b1owjob on a tromBONE or, perhaps, puckering their lips around another type of mouthpiece?

One of the muttawas (that's what everyone else lovingly calls the guys with long beards and short trousers - to their faces as well nonetheless) at work told me that they don't listen to music as it is wasting time they could have been spending the time listening to readings from the Quran...

He told me this after I had tried to explain that he reminded me of one of the guys in ZZ Top, and of course he had no idea...
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

According to Islam, anything that interferes with your dialogue with God is not good.... but they also recognize that humans are human and therefore it is not strictly forbidden.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd

A guy I know, he is Salafi, does not listen to music or watches tv(funnily, he uses chat sites, lol), the exact reason why I do not know, but I am sure there is some hadith that tells him not to.
I knew a woman, she worked at a nursery, who, after she converted (or reverted, if you like) to Islam, refused to sing songs with the children and wanted them to stop drawing pictures of people, apparently there is also a hadith for that one.
It is amazing what people do!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
A guy I know, he is Salafi, does not listen to music or watches tv(funnily, he uses chat sites, lol), the exact reason why I do not know, but I am sure there is some hadith that tells him not to.
I knew a woman, she worked at a nursery, who, after she converted (or reverted, if you like) to Islam, refused to sing songs with the children and wanted them to stop drawing pictures of people, apparently there is also a hadith for that one.
It is amazing what people do!
Sad, very sad people.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

I'm all for multi-culturalism but stopping kids learning about music in school due to religious beliefs from another country is just going too far... our country our rules.

...maybe there will be a christian movement against kids taking science or art at school as well?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cham128
I'm all for multi-culturalism but stopping kids learning about music in school due to religious beliefs from another country is just going too far... our country our rules.

...maybe there will be a christian movement against kids taking science or art at school as well?
This happened in a nursery in Qatar. although, the nursery advertised it self as Western and creative. lol

The lady was fired after a while.

Oh, and I think "multiculturalism" does not work. At least not until ALL people are ready to apply tolerance and common sense to daily life.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 3:17 pm
Banned

Loren Prefontaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kittycat1
My tenancy agreement has a clause saying I'm not allowed to play music or sing :-( I know I'm tone deaf but I don't sing that loudly!

Oh my. I like to play the harp for my husband. Is that a flat? We will have to go over our agreement thoroughly to make certain that music is allowed in our home.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:38 am
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

I think The Mac Lads are allowed though.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 12:29 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cham128

I'm not for multi-culturalism because it assumes all cultures are equal which they are clearly not. Most expats figure that one out within six months!

That aside this is a religious not cultural issue in any case. All schools that recieve even a penny of public money should be strictly secular. Those who don't like it can fund their own school to indoctrinate the next generation of women hating, homophobic anti-democratic bigots...

We need strict religion and state seperation in the UK...currently millions of taxpayers money goes into the pockets of all sorts of minority religious groups (and I include the church of England in minority groups!). A national curriculum that forces all children to learn music, science and art will help too.

As always vote Norm and I'll sort all your problems out from my bar stool somewhere in Abu Dhabi without the slightest hint of irony...

N.