British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Music not allowed in Islam? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/music-not-allowed-islam-674836/)

hnd Jul 1st 2010 9:04 pm

Music not allowed in Islam?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...c-lessons.html

What about the Arabian Oud? The traditional Arabian dances (ok, normally male only, I believe?) but still danced to music (tuned in by accident a couple of yrs ago to a Saudi channel and saw this in a huge arena - we're transfixed ... or hypnotised ... for at least 40 minutes until our phone rang:blink:). The history of story-telling accompanied by music?

Maybe it's something about fingering those ivories, plucking the strings, performing a wonderful b1owjob on a tromBONE or, perhaps, puckering their lips around another type of mouthpiece?

Anyone have have any other suggestions why this should be so?

kittycat1 Jul 2nd 2010 7:01 am

Re: Music not allowed in Islam?

My tenancy agreement has a clause saying I'm not allowed to play music or sing :-( I know I'm tone deaf but I don't sing that loudly!

norsk Jul 2nd 2010 8:45 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 8671238)

What about the Arabian Oud? The traditional Arabian dances (ok, normally male only, I believe?) but still danced to music (tuned in by accident a couple of yrs ago to a Saudi channel and saw this in a huge arena - we're transfixed ... or hypnotised ... for at least 40 minutes until our phone rang:blink:). The history of story-telling accompanied by music?

Maybe it's something about fingering those ivories, plucking the strings, performing a wonderful b1owjob on a tromBONE or, perhaps, puckering their lips around another type of mouthpiece?

One of the muttawas (that's what everyone else lovingly calls the guys with long beards and short trousers - to their faces as well nonetheless) at work told me that they don't listen to music as it is wasting time they could have been spending the time listening to readings from the Quran...

He told me this after I had tried to explain that he reminded me of one of the guys in ZZ Top, and of course he had no idea...:thumbsup:

klaus3974 Jul 2nd 2010 8:48 am

According to Islam, anything that interferes with your dialogue with God is not good.... but they also recognize that humans are human and therefore it is not strictly forbidden.

Alexa Jul 2nd 2010 9:16 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 8671238)

A guy I know, he is Salafi, does not listen to music or watches tv(funnily, he uses chat sites, lol), the exact reason why I do not know, but I am sure there is some hadith that tells him not to.
I knew a woman, she worked at a nursery, who, after she converted (or reverted, if you like) to Islam, refused to sing songs with the children and wanted them to stop drawing pictures of people, apparently there is also a hadith for that one.
It is amazing what people do!

coffindodger Jul 2nd 2010 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 8672259)
A guy I know, he is Salafi, does not listen to music or watches tv(funnily, he uses chat sites, lol), the exact reason why I do not know, but I am sure there is some hadith that tells him not to.
I knew a woman, she worked at a nursery, who, after she converted (or reverted, if you like) to Islam, refused to sing songs with the children and wanted them to stop drawing pictures of people, apparently there is also a hadith for that one.
It is amazing what people do!

Sad, very sad people.

Cham128 Jul 2nd 2010 10:28 am

I'm all for multi-culturalism but stopping kids learning about music in school due to religious beliefs from another country is just going too far... our country our rules.

...maybe there will be a christian movement against kids taking science or art at school as well?:frown:

Alexa Jul 2nd 2010 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 8672372)
I'm all for multi-culturalism but stopping kids learning about music in school due to religious beliefs from another country is just going too far... our country our rules.

...maybe there will be a christian movement against kids taking science or art at school as well?:frown:

This happened in a nursery in Qatar. although, the nursery advertised it self as Western and creative. lol

The lady was fired after a while.

Oh, and I think "multiculturalism" does not work. At least not until ALL people are ready to apply tolerance and common sense to daily life.

Loren Prefontaine Jul 3rd 2010 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8672078)
My tenancy agreement has a clause saying I'm not allowed to play music or sing :-( I know I'm tone deaf but I don't sing that loudly!

Oh my. I like to play the harp for my husband. Is that a flat? We will have to go over our agreement thoroughly to make certain that music is allowed in our home.

glynster Jul 4th 2010 5:38 am

I think The Mac Lads are allowed though.

Norm_uk Jul 4th 2010 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 8672372)

I'm not for multi-culturalism because it assumes all cultures are equal which they are clearly not. Most expats figure that one out within six months!

That aside this is a religious not cultural issue in any case. All schools that recieve even a penny of public money should be strictly secular. Those who don't like it can fund their own school to indoctrinate the next generation of women hating, homophobic anti-democratic bigots...

We need strict religion and state seperation in the UK...currently millions of taxpayers money goes into the pockets of all sorts of minority religious groups (and I include the church of England in minority groups!). A national curriculum that forces all children to learn music, science and art will help too.

As always vote Norm and I'll sort all your problems out from my bar stool somewhere in Abu Dhabi without the slightest hint of irony...

N.