Musandam

Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Musandam

Thanks for the gift idea suggestions. Now looking into Musandam, I have found a site that offers a tour so all inclusive of pick ups, dhow cruises, snorkelling, BBQ, camping and a hotel stay. Awaiting a price for this.
Has anyone done a self drive and organised their own package? If so I'd love to know what it entails and and recommendations or better and easier to do the organised stuff?

I'm also thinking of planning it while hubby's parents are here but they don't like being in a car too long, how far is the drive?

Sorry for all the questions and TIA
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Musandam

Originally Posted by Rubydo
Thanks for the gift idea suggestions. Now looking into Musandam, I have found a site that offers a tour so all inclusive of pick ups, dhow cruises, snorkelling, BBQ, camping and a hotel stay. Awaiting a price for this.
Has anyone done a self drive and organised their own package? If so I'd love to know what it entails and and recommendations or better and easier to do the organised stuff?

I'm also thinking of planning it while hubby's parents are here but they don't like being in a car too long, how far is the drive?

Sorry for all the questions and TIA
Done it many times, it's great.

DO NOT go from Dibba. Go from Khassab.

I've rented a while private dhow for 3500dh, or you can pay around 180dh per person at the Khassab port. You have to be at the port for 9am. Which means at the border for 7am - stay in a decent hotel RAK to make this possible.

The drive from RAK to the border is about 30mins. The drive from the border to the port is an hour of twisty roads and stunning views. I've done the border-port journey in 35-40mins in the 370z, and just over an hour in the FJ.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Done it many times, it's great.

DO NOT go from Dibba. Go from Khassab.

I've rented a while private dhow for 3500dh, or you can pay around 180dh per person at the Khassab port. You have to be at the port for 9am. Which means at the border for 7am - stay in a decent hotel RAK to make this possible.

The drive from RAK to the border is about 30mins. The drive from the border to the port is an hour of twisty roads and stunning views. I've done the border-port journey in 35-40mins in the 370z, and just over an hour in the FJ.
Would I need to book the tickets in advance or there's many cruises from the port? I don't want to f*#k it up and do self stuff if it's not planned properly or I'll get it in the neck from all angles ha.
I'm going to sound really dumb now but I take it I then leave my car at the port and get the dhow? If I'm then wanting to turn it into a stop over for a night or two I just use taxis? I'm no good with this kind of planning.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Go from Khasab. Not Dibba. Just what Millhouse said. Just so that you understand. Go from Khasab. Not Dibba.

It's a long drive from Abu Dhabi, make no mistakes about it. Probably the best is to leave Thursday after work and drive up to RAK, book into the Waldorf Astoria or something similar, then take a leisurely morning drive across the border and up to Khasab. It's a lovely drive. The boat tours usually finish around 4:30ish and you can either drive back to RAK for a relaxing evening or take up that camping option you mentioned. Camping up at the high plateaus of Musandum is well worth it.

I've done it through Welcome to Khasab and they seemed to have nicer boats than the other organisers.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Go from Khasab. Not Dibba. Just what Millhouse said. Just so that you understand. Go from Khasab. Not Dibba.

It's a long drive from Abu Dhabi, make no mistakes about it. Probably the best is to leave Thursday after work and drive up to RAK, book into the Waldorf Astoria or something similar, then take a leisurely morning drive across the border and up to Khasab. It's a lovely drive. The boat tours usually finish around 4:30ish and you can either drive back to RAK for a relaxing evening or take up that camping option you mentioned. Camping up at the high plateaus of Musandum is well worth it.

I've done it through Welcome to Khasab and they seemed to have nicer boats than the other organisers.
Thanks, I'm thinking maybe the organised stuff will be easier and less of a cock up if I'm honest. Maybe if I can do the night before in RAK and then have an organised thing from the port and for a night stay camping in Musandam and then back to RAK again. Thanks for the link I'll have a nosey now
As you can tell I'm pretty useless with this planning malarki!
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'm thinking maybe the organised stuff will be easier and less of a cock up if I'm honest. Maybe if I can do the night before in RAK and then have an organised thing from the port and for a night stay camping in Musandam and then back to RAK again. Thanks for the link I'll have a nosey now
As you can tell I'm pretty useless with this planning malarki!
you will be able to get an organised tour from RAK hotel to the port & boat.

Long drive on a shit bus though.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Millhouse
you will be able to get an organised tour from RAK hotel to the port & boat.

Long drive on a shit bus though.
See not into the long drive on a shit bus- don't mind if it's a car n not cramped. Will have in laws moaning otherwise too
Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

The Atana Musandam resort is an OK 4 star hotel very close to the Dhow port (note it is dry - the Atana Khasab has a bar but is very dated and a bit further from the port). We used Dolphin Khasab tours for the cruise
Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
The Atana Musandam resort is an OK 4 star hotel very close to the Dhow port (note it is dry - the Atana Khasab has a bar but is very dated and a bit further from the port). We used Dolphin Khasab tours for the cruise
Thanks, I'm waiting on 2 companies to get back to me and then I can start planning
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

What's the booze situation on these trips?
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
What's the booze situation on these trips?
I think nada! That's my issue too. A company has got back to me and said 2300 dirhams per person for 2nights 3 days which I think is pretty pricey
Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Or stay at the Golden Tulip instead of in Rak, then you're already nearly in Khasab, that hotel will also organise Dhow trips too.

Decent bar there too, although, like all hotels in Mussandam, it's a bit dated.

Edited to add, please disregard it's closed :-(

Last edited by IKnowNothing; Jan 10th 2017 at 9:26 am. Reason: See above LOL - it's been a while since i was there.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Or stay at the Golden Tulip instead of in Rak, then you're already nearly in Khasab, that hotel will also organise Dhow trips too.

Decent bar there too, although, like all hotels in Mussandam, it's a bit dated.

Edited to add, please disregard it's closed :-(
I think I might just give it a miss and do this trip when it isn't a surprise for him so he can help organise and be responsible for when it goes wrong haha
Old Jan 10th 2017, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

You can drive to the port yourself. Just turn up on time. The boat won't leave till all the other passengers who've booked to be picked up from their hotels and transported by bus arrive. Loads of people drive up themselves.

No booze on the boat but you can always return to the hotel in RAK that night had have a proper booze fest.

Musandum is a nice place and always enjoyable. If you have your own camping gear you can organise your own overnight camping up in the high plateaus, though a 4x4 is a must.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 10:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I think nada! That's my issue too. A company has got back to me and said 2300 dirhams per person for 2nights 3 days which I think is pretty pricey
**** that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.