Murray the New Henman?

Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of
Default Murray the New Henman?

Seems to have choked at the Aussie open, maybe the weight of expectation and being one of the bookies favourites got to him, discuss???
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Murray the New Henman?

Possibly. Disappointing outcome after a promising start to the year, hope he doesn't turn out to be a 'Henman', and manages to turn his potential into being an achiever, rather than under-achiever.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Possibly. Disappointing outcome after a promising start to the year, hope he doesn't turn out to be a 'Henman', and manages to turn his potential into being an achiever, rather than under-achiever.
"It was a good effort", fed up of hearing that over the years...

Apparently he had a stinker... Oh well at least he bagged some big ones in AD and Doha!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Read the report this morning, and he was leading by a set, twice in the match only to be pegged back then overtaken. Should have tied it up when he was on top - that 'killer instinct' is what all the top players have.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:18 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

He loses one match and becomes the new Henman. Jeez.

We should remember that he's only about 21, and probably had an off day. He will have more chances and I'm sure he will win a major in the next few years.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by littlejimmy

We should remember that he's only about 21, and probably had an off day. He will have more chances and I'm sure he will win a major in the next few years.
Theres always next year I suppose...
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:15 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

Lewis Hamilton is 21, he had all the expectation on him to, but he has more determintation and that eye of the tiger attitude, which I feel Murray is lacking.

Bison
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Rapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bison
Lewis Hamilton is 21, he had all the expectation on him to, but he has more determintation and that eye of the tiger attitude, which I feel Murray is lacking.

Bison
I don't believe you can compare the two sports. F1 relies so much on technology whereas tennis is much more about raw talent.

In the right car, any number of F1 drivers could be world champion.

And Murray has more talent in his big toe than Henman ever had. I'm with Jimmy on this one - Murray is only 21 and definitely has the mongrel within; he just had an off day and didn't deliver on this occasion. Plenty more opportunities to make amends.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rapido
I don't believe you can compare the two sports. F1 relies so much on technology whereas tennis is much more about raw talent.

In the right car, any number of F1 drivers could be world champion.

And Murray has more talent in his big toe than Henman ever had. I'm with Jimmy on this one - Murray is only 21 and definitely has the mongrel within; he just had an off day and didn't deliver on this occasion. Plenty more opportunities to make amends.
Sorry Rapido, as much as it pains me to say it, I agree with Bison

Hard to compare the sports but Hamilton as a novice blew it and then in a unsuperior car won this year... Listen to what some of the best drivers of all time are saying, this guy will be a great...

Owen was 18 when he dribbled past players at a WC, Rooney the same, if you are old enough you are good enough...

Murray has had a great start to this season and end of last season, top player in the world on form, has been around for about 4 years, had a monumental off day against a middle ranking player with a big serve...

I think he will win a slam one day and hopefully this year, but he isnt on the same plane as Federer, Nadal and Djokivic yet, and probably not even Henman...

A bit like my school reports, must try harder...
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:36 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to compare the sports but Hamilton as a novice blew it and then in a unsuperior car won this year... Listen to what some of the best drivers of all time are saying, this guy will be a great...
Yeah Rapido, you are talking out of your Gary Glitter mate....

It's nice to see someone agreeing with me, I thank you and also thanks for considering me as one of the best drivers of all time, I thought it was only me who thought that.....

Bison
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Rapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really nice

Yeah Rapido, you are talking out of your Gary Glitter mate....
Talking? Typing actually. But glad you found your own little gag hilarious.

Sky Blue - not being much of a follower of F1, I wasn't aware of the significance of Hamilton's achievements. If what you say is true then all strength to him and I hope you are right about him becoming a great.

I'm still having difficulty in comparing F1 with tennis, but that's ok. And for every Rooney or Owen, surely there are plenty of late(r) bloomers who have achieved similar heights, no?

Cheers

R
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rapido
Talking? Typing actually. But glad you found your own little gag hilarious.

Sky Blue - not being much of a follower of F1, I wasn't aware of the significance of Hamilton's achievements. If what you say is true then all strength to him and I hope you are right about him becoming a great.

I'm still having difficulty in comparing F1 with tennis, but that's ok. And for every Rooney or Owen, surely there are plenty of late(r) bloomers who have achieved similar heights, no?

Cheers

R

Good point about late bloomers, but the Murray Mint owes us to win and I am now going to take a lot of stick from some Aussie mates when i built him up as the anti henman and now he goes and loses...
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:27 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

...don't Hurry a Murray..Andy will come good over the years !
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sky Blue
Good point about late bloomers, but the Murray Mint owes us to win and I am now going to take a lot of stick from some Aussie mates when i built him up as the anti henman and now he goes and loses...
Don't worry about those Aussie mates, Sky. Australia has nothing in the tennis ranks these days. Not a whole lot in F1 either, just M Webber, whose driving form would suggest he'd be better off in a contact sport.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:19 pm
W10

Originally Posted by Sky Blue

Owen was 18 when he dribbled past players at a WC, Rooney the same, if you are old enough you are good enough...

Murray has had a great start to this season and end of last season, top player in the world on form, has been around for about 4 years, had a monumental off day against a middle ranking player with a big serve...

I think he will win a slam one day and hopefully this year, but he isnt on the same plane as Federer, Nadal and Djokivic yet, and probably not even Henman...

A bit like my school reports, must try harder...
I presume you don't actually follow or watch tennis then?

Right now he is the third, possibly the second best player in the world. Better than Djokovic for sure, and probably better than Fed too. He had a terrible start to 2008 and isn't defending too many points, so if he stays on current form will probably be world number 3 by the autumn. He has won big tournaments in pressure situations in the past six months and at 21 has already achieved more than Henman did in his whole career (Murray has reached a slam final and won two masters series events). After two real seasons amongst the big boys he has won 9 tournaments - compared to 11 in the whole of Henman's career. His game is still improving and he is already 10 times the player Henman ever was.

I presume you also don't watch F1 either if you think Hamilton's car was unsuperior. Fact is he blew it in his first major shot (in a better car), then almost blew it in his second season (in a far far far better car, against a man who isn't even in the same league as him as a driver). Lewis is a superb driver, and I have no doubt he will go on to be one of the greats - but right now he has zero competion (a totally disinterested Kimi and a good but not great Massa) and should have had both of the last two titles sewn up halfway through the season, but has shown not really shown many signs that he can deal with serious pressure. Had Schumacher not retired, he would now be a 9 time world champion...

Murray let the occassion get to him in his first chance (US Open, but Fed was also so good it was like watching the 2005-2006 season in this match), was and will remain, the US Open. If he can carry this kind of form into the latter part of the year then I think he will win the US.

Before passing judgement you also have to remember that different players mature at different rates in all sports (contrast Rooney...not looking like a world beater now is he, with Ian Wright - who was playing non-league football until he was 24 for example).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.