British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Moving and red tape (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/moving-red-tape-627480/)

kittycat1 Aug 25th 2009 6:06 pm

Moving and red tape

Me again,

Having a break from packing...

As I've said already I move out in just over two weeks and am getting excited, however everyone keeps telling me i'll have a nightmare with all the red tape and everything is a nightmare to get done.

I'm ina hotel for the first few weeks then looking at a hotel apartment until my trial period is over, what should I be expecting to have a nightmare with exactly? mobiles, car hire what else is there until I get a long term lease?

Also who does everyone bank with- is ot worth opening an account with HSBC?

Any heads up would be good

Cheers

Cat
xxx

shakh your bootie Aug 25th 2009 6:16 pm

Re: Moving and red tape

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 7874389)
Me again,

As I've said already I move out in just over two weeks and am getting excited, however everyone keeps telling me i'll have a nightmare with all the red tape and everything is a nightmare to get done.

I'm ina hotel for the first few weeks then looking at a hotel apartment until my trial period is over, what should I be expecting to have a nightmare with exactly? mobiles, car hire what else is there until I get a long term lease?

Cheers

Cat
xxx

Everything gets easier once you have a residence permit...

Have you sorted out the attestation of your qualifications - it's a pain getting this done from inside the UAE...

You can get a pay-as-you-go sim card pretty much over the counter - you'll need the residence permit for a contract phone.

Bank account - you'd need a letter from your employer to open the account.

commander Aug 25th 2009 6:16 pm

bank offshore if you can, I use hsbc offshore, have a GBP and a USD account and have had no issues.

i also have a HSBC local AED account (completely seperate to the above) for spending money, and they are a nightmare in my opinion- hence they handle my pocket money..

loads of other choices though, the troops will advise..

Patsy Stoned Aug 25th 2009 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 7874389)
Me again,

Cheers

Cat
xxx

It isn't as bad as people like to make out, the only prob I see is that during ramadan things take longer.
some things will have to wait until you get your residence visa but you can get a sim card for your mobile no problem just take your passport to etisalat and buy a simcard and get a mobile number, I'm not sure how much but it isn't mecca bucks.
You can't get a checking account until you have your visa but you can open a bank account which will give you an atm card. I opened an account with NBAD they do a "ladies account" No bank charges for the 1st year and then only 10dhs a month after that. I have never had any prob with them..better than HSBC I think.
you can hire a car no prob with your UK license. Other than that I really didn't have any problems setting up here at all,although it was 5 years ago.
If I can help with anything just message me. Good luck with the move.

kittycat1 Aug 25th 2009 6:24 pm

Ok my Visa is all done so no problem there, I'll pop to HSBC this week then, so is it worth me bringing a mobile handset out? I have to give my blackberry back as I'm ending my contract early but have an old Motorola razor handset- would that work- was with o2 over here- I have no idea when it comes to mobiles....

kittycat1 Aug 25th 2009 6:26 pm

Thanks Patsy- i no doubt will be in touch!

I take it I need to bring my paper driving licence as well as the card?

x

Patsy Stoned Aug 25th 2009 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 7874443)
Thanks Patsy- i no doubt will be in touch!

I take it I need to bring my paper driving licence as well as the card?

x

Yes you need the paper one. when you come over get lots of passport pictures taken. mobiles are very cheap here so you can always pick 1 up at the airport. When you go to Etisalat to get a number it only takes a few minutes and they activate your number within hours.
Don't forget that you can bring in 5 bottles of wine from duty free and you want to get your booze license asap ;) although you will need your tenency agreement for that. I can always get you booze with my license though so don't panic on that score :D

shakh your bootie Aug 25th 2009 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 7874455)
Yes you need the paper one. when you come over get lots of passport pictures taken. mobiles are very cheap here so you can always pick 1 up at the airport. When you go to Etisalat to get a number it only takes a few minutes and they activate your number within hours.
Don't forget that you can bring in 5 bottles of wine from duty free and you want to get your booze license asap ;) although you will need your tenency agreement for that. I can always get you booze with my license though so don't panic on that score :D

Think someone's angling for some freebie posh knickers....

Patsy Stoned Aug 25th 2009 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7874466)
Think someone's angling for some freebie posh knickers....

I have all the designer underwear I need darling xx :D

TGFKASE Aug 25th 2009 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 7874435)
Ok my Visa is all done so no problem there, I'll pop to HSBC this week then, so is it worth me bringing a mobile handset out? I have to give my blackberry back as I'm ending my contract early but have an old Motorola razor handset- would that work- was with o2 over here- I have no idea when it comes to mobiles....

If its a UAE HSBC account you are looking to open, don't bother, since HSBC UAE is distinctly seperate from the rest of the world. Your 'local bank' can't open an account in the UAE for you...

If its an offshore account you are looking to open, then visit your local branch in the UK....

commander Aug 25th 2009 7:54 pm

Aye no bother, thanks for the advice...your welcome...

zoukla Aug 25th 2009 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7874606)
If its a UAE HSBC account you are looking to open, don't bother, since HSBC UAE is distinctly seperate from the rest of the world. Your 'local bank' can't open an account in the UAE for you...

If its an offshore account you are looking to open, then visit your local branch in the UK....

Help us newbies out here.
Are you saying that i cannot transfer; say my funds from HSBC UAE with RBS UK

What are the best options to ensure that this goes smoothly. :confused:
Cause i have been warned to keep only 'pocket money' here.

HSBC seems quite popular, can we get some feedback on this service.

kittycat1 Aug 25th 2009 9:18 pm

Sorry Commander- is that a poke at me - I am grateful for your advice, apologies if it didnt seem that way!

I'm currently with Natwest in the UK with a maestro card for my current account, I also have a business account with them which I will still be using for business in the UK and have monthly direct debits that leave my current account so would still like to keep this account active as well. I haven't managed to find anywhere where I can withdraw money on this card (personal maestro)in Dubai or maybe I've just had pants luck with the cash machines.

If I open an international account with HSBC will I then be able to access my accounts via cashpoints rather than having to have cash until I sort a local account out? and is it any easier to shift money between a HSBC UAE bank and HSBC international account? and then HSBC international to Natwest? Or am I just making this really complicated for myself.

Also, are the banking hours reduced as other working hours during Ramadam? and are they open weekends?

Ok I have managed to confuse myself now :blink::confused::unsure:

Any one with more common sense than me able to work out what I'm on about?

xxx

954RR Aug 26th 2009 4:13 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 7874801)
I'm currently with Natwest in the UK with a maestro card for my current account, I also have a business account with them which I will still be using for business in the UK and have monthly direct debits that leave my current account so would still like to keep this account active as well. I haven't managed to find anywhere where I can withdraw money on this card (personal maestro)in Dubai or maybe I've just had pants luck with the cash machines.

Kitycat
I have a maestro card with NatWest and had no problems here in Dubai getting money out of the ATM's so you should be OK with that for a while. Mind you there is a charge and commission to take into account.

Patsy Stoned Aug 26th 2009 4:43 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 7874801)
Also, are the banking hours reduced as other working hours during Ramadam? and are they open weekends?

Ramadan opening hours for banks vary. My Bank in the MOE opens 10 til 2 and then 8 til midnight.
I think most banks will close at 2pm for the day.