Moving and red tape

Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:57 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving and red tape

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Sorry Commander- is that a poke at me - I am grateful for your advice, apologies if it didnt seem that way!

I'm currently with Natwest in the UK with a maestro card for my current account, I also have a business account with them which I will still be using for business in the UK and have monthly direct debits that leave my current account so would still like to keep this account active as well. I haven't managed to find anywhere where I can withdraw money on this card (personal maestro)in Dubai or maybe I've just had pants luck with the cash machines.

If I open an international account with HSBC will I then be able to access my accounts via cashpoints rather than having to have cash until I sort a local account out? and is it any easier to shift money between a HSBC UAE bank and HSBC international account? and then HSBC international to Natwest? Or am I just making this really complicated for myself.

Also, are the banking hours reduced as other working hours during Ramadam? and are they open weekends?

Ok I have managed to confuse myself now

Any one with more common sense than me able to work out what I'm on about?

xxx
Cat, I do online international transfers between my UAE HSBC account and my UK Natwest account frequently, it costs me about 30 dirhams each time, but it is quick and no fuss.

However! A friend here told me that if you transfer from HSBC UAE to HSBC UK, transfers are much cheaper if not free. I would check this out if you have the time.

Be very wary of offshore accounts, I was advised to avoid HSBC's offshore offering - it might be worth talking to a financial adviser about this. Meow does this for a living, she's also on my facebook if you'd like her contact details. PS get that Dubai Red Tape guide - it's great!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

another good book to have is "don't they know it is friday?" Lots of good info in it.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:29 am
Just Joined

doyouwantthis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cat.

HSBC helped me alot, you will need your full visa to open an account if you require any credit, best not to take any credit here, not until your well settled any way, they will also want a copy of your passport and your temp visa, on the car hire, how long do you wish to hire for? and kind of car? is your company not arranging your hotel? on the car hire i can help you, i am a sr sales manager for the largest car rental company in the UAE, you will require your driving license both parts, the company will photo copy your passport, and you will need a credit card, we deliver to your hotel free of charge, or we can collect you from the airport, just let me know your requirments.

Regards

TH

Me again,

Having a break from packing...

As I've said already I move out in just over two weeks and am getting excited, however everyone keeps telling me i'll have a nightmare with all the red tape and everything is a nightmare to get done.

I'm ina hotel for the first few weeks then looking at a hotel apartment until my trial period is over, what should I be expecting to have a nightmare with exactly? mobiles, car hire what else is there until I get a long term lease?

Also who does everyone bank with- is ot worth opening an account with HSBC?

Any heads up would be good

Cheers

Cat
xxx
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
you can hire a car no prob with your UK license.
not any more you can't. You need an international license, I understand that if you speak with the RAC / AA you can get one from them.

To be honest, I would wait and worry about everything once you are here. I wasted a lot of time trying to sort everything out as soon as I arrived and basically you can't do much until you get the visa anyway.

You can use your UK mobile handset - just buy a Wasel Sim (PAYAYG) card in the supermarket when you get here.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Dry as Dust has a spectacular aura aboutDry as Dust has a spectacular aura aboutDry as Dust has a spectacular aura about

As EM says you will not be able to hire a car if you have a residence visa and no UAE licence.

More importantly, once you have your residence visa it is illegal to drive with a UK licence or an International Driving Permit - you must get a UAE licence to drive.

This is no problem - a trip to the licencing authority with the relevant paperwork (legal translation of your licence, letter of no objection etc etc). Just another bit of red tape.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Dry as Dust;7896537]As EM says you will not be able to hire a car if you have a residence visa and no UAE licence.
QUOTE]

I last tried to hire a car a couple of months ago when we had guests over and they were not able to hire without an international license. The rules are crazy, especially as you can convert a UK license without anything more than an eye test!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Dry as Dust has a spectacular aura aboutDry as Dust has a spectacular aura aboutDry as Dust has a spectacular aura about

"I last tried to hire a car a couple of months ago when we had guests over and they were not able to hire without an international license. The rules are crazy, especially as you can convert a UK license without anything more than an eye test!"

Presumably that was in Abu Dhabi. If on a visit visa you can only hire a car if you have an International Driving Permit (usually easy to get from your home country). Once you have a residence visa you must have a UAE licence to drive legally.

The rules in Dubai are different - I believe you can hire there with a foreign licence provided you are on a visit visa. Once you have residency you must get a UAE licence before driving.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dry as Dust
"I last tried to hire a car a couple of months ago when we had guests over and they were not able to hire without an international license. The rules are crazy, especially as you can convert a UK license without anything more than an eye test!"

Presumably that was in Abu Dhabi. If on a visit visa you can only hire a car if you have an International Driving Permit (usually easy to get from your home country). Once you have a residence visa you must have a UAE licence to drive legally.

The rules in Dubai are different - I believe you can hire there with a foreign licence provided you are on a visit visa. Once you have residency you must get a UAE licence before driving.
Yes it was AD. I never realised the rules were different. Do you know what happens if you take a hire car in Dubai - can you drive it to AD?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dry as Dust

The law says that in Dubai you should have an International Driving Permit to hire a car with a visit visa. Not all companies seem to be aware of this though.

-
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:30 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
The law says that in Dubai you should have an International Driving Permit to hire a car with a visit visa. Not all companies seem to be aware of this though.

-
We got our International Driving (6 years ago) from our post office in London, only took 10 minutes. It's worth getting the International License just in case.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:20 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Me again,

Having a break from packing...

As I've said already I move out in just over two weeks and am getting excited, however everyone keeps telling me i'll have a nightmare with all the red tape
Cat
xxx
I agree, Cat. It's much better to use the normal beige coloured tape as, while sticky and strong, it tends to cut easily and doesn't damage any of your precious items.

Red is just pretentious.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thank you for all the info-am nearly sorted in the UK just a few things to finalize- trying to get my head in the right head space but slowly but surely getting there!

Doyouwantthis- thank you- I'm in a hotel for the first couple of weeks (or until my residents visa application is sorted) and then will be looking for a hotel apartment for two months until my trial period is up so the company is only supplying the first hotel bit. I'm only looking for a little car- as long as it has air con and at least 3 wheels I'll be a happy girl- would love a little mini but think tehy are quite expensive to hire over there so think I'm be going for a Skoda or equally crap equivalent that allows me to spend more money on shoes! But i will be in touch when I get out there and find my feet- thank you though.

Will pop to the post office and see if I can sort out an international licence now- well in the morning.

Roadking- beige is the new black afterall !

Thanks for all the advice guys xxx

Thanks for teh heads up on Natwest I won't freak out that I haven't started an account with HSBC yet!