Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai - iPhone advice needed!!

Moving to Dubai - iPhone advice needed!!

Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Fifimccree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dubai - iPhone advice needed!!

Hi there! I'm moving to Dubai in just over 3 weeks to start as emirates cabin crew. I currently have an iPhone on O2 which I will have to continue to pay each month as it would cost hundereds to buy myself out! Basically I'm going to get the phone unlocked and buy a sim out in Dubai but I have no idea which package to go for! I want to be able to use Internet by wifi as I only really use what's app and viber. I would like some minutes and texts for my friends I meet in Dubai. 3G is not important. Also as I will e travelling constantly wifi is the only important part! Can anyone advise?!?

Thank you!!!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:53 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to Dubai - iPhone advice needed!!

Get the phone unlocked in UK by O2, I think they charge 25 quid. Mine was with Voda and it cost me AED650 and 2 weeks to get it unlocked in DXB.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:58 am
Just Joined

I def will thanks

What tariff or package are you on now?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:01 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Du and Etisalat are both fairly shit, do not expect pacakages to be like in UK. Just get a pay as you go SIM and then you can gauge costs after a month or so. Etisalat Wasel seems as good as any, my wife has been using it for over six years and easy to top up etc...
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

another apple Q (i-pad) - since downloading the new operating system can no longer get onto the old I-tunes store where can buy music/filums atc (currently in UAE). Settings must have changed.

Got a VPN - how does one open I-tunes store UK as opposed to the shiite UAE store?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Okie doke all sounds good. Just one silly questions... I've been looking at the w site and can't work out of pay as you go is called per paid or post paid!!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Ugh ignore the spelling once again the curse of autocorrect!!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fifimccree
Ugh ignore the spelling once again the curse of autocorrect!!
per (sp) paid - aka Wasel

post paid is contract
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Thank you!! Was having a wee look there...does anyone have the add ons like the Fav country plan or global friends and family?!?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

BritGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by saudiflares
another apple Q (i-pad) - since downloading the new operating system can no longer get onto the old I-tunes store where can buy music/filums atc (currently in UAE). Settings must have changed.

Got a VPN - how does one open I-tunes store UK as opposed to the shiite UAE store?
iTunes opens the store associated with your account, which is connected to your credit card. So a UAE card can only use the Emirati iTunes store and likewise you will need a UK card for an account with the UK store. You don't need the VPN on to go to the UK store, just an account for that store with a UK credit card. I have 2 accounts, one UAE and one UK, and you can switch between the 2 by going into ipad settings to log out of one account and into the other account. You will need to use 2 different email addresses to have 2 accounts
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritGeek
iTunes opens the store associated with your account, which is connected to your credit card. So a UAE card can only use the Emirati iTunes store and likewise you will need a UK card for an account with the UK store. You don't need the VPN on to go to the UK store, just an account for that store with a UK credit card. I have 2 accounts, one UAE and one UK, and you can switch between the 2 by going into ipad settings to log out of one account and into the other account. You will need to use 2 different email addresses to have 2 accounts
Ta muchly. It always went to the UK one by default before but changed when we upgraded the operating system thing