Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai with a baby

Moving to Dubai with a baby

Old May 10th 2014, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

didi777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Moving to Dubai with a baby

Hi all
I'm wondering if anyone could advice on the areas that would be best to live in Dubai?
I'm really keen on the greens as I have a toddler who loves the greenery and going outside. I would like something that is close to parks and not 20 minutes to get to something like this.

JLT is an option because the buildings there are very nice and I'm not sure if it's too family friendly or as nice for a young family to live in? Also is traffic there a problem ?

My husband will be working in Abu dhabi so will need good access to sheikh zayed road.
My husband is very interested in the marina and Jlt as there is more accessibility to shops and getting around there are more options . Is this true for these places as the greens would be hard to get a taxi for example and the amenities around the Jlt and marina are better ?
Is this true ?]

I look forward to your replies
Old May 11th 2014, 3:27 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai with a baby

Originally Posted by didi777
I'm really keen on the greens as I have a toddler who loves the greenery and going outside. I would like something that is close to parks and not 20 minutes to get to something like this.
How long have you lived in Dubai because there is no outside green area which is habitable in the summer.
Old May 11th 2014, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
I'm wondering if anyone could advice on the areas that would be best to live in Dubai?

JLT is an option because the buildings there are very nice and I'm not sure if it's too family friendly or as nice for a young family to live in? Also is traffic there a problem ?

My husband will be working in Abu dhabi so will need good access to sheikh zayed road.
My husband is very interested in the marina and Jlt as there is more accessibility to shops and getting around there are more options . Is this true for these places as the greens would be hard to get a taxi for example and the amenities around the Jlt and marina are better ?
Is this true ?]

I look forward to your replies
why not live in auh then? driving up and down "that" road is not advisable! look at al ghadeer then
Old May 11th 2014, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Also, aren't a lot of companies enforcing the 'You must live in AD if you work there' rule?
Old May 11th 2014, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. But with the current rents in Dubai, it makes little sense for someone to be commuting to Abu Dhabi.
It used to be a decent option from 2009-2012 when rents for comparable properties were up to 60% cheaper in Dubai.
Old May 11th 2014, 5:58 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Also, aren't a lot of companies enforcing the 'You must live in AD if you work there' rule?
If you work for the gubbmint you must live there if you want to continue to receive your housing allowance.

Originally Posted by Maxima
But with the current rents in Dubai, it makes little sense for someone to be commuting to Abu Dhabi.
It used to be a decent option from 2009-2012 when rents for comparable properties were up to 60% cheaper in Dubai.
With the removal of the AD rent cap and Dubai retaining renting laws I suspect the two will become more level (until Dubais bubble bursts).
Old May 11th 2014, 6:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Budget will make a big difference, but no mention of that. A garden is often preferred if people have children, as you can use it for 8 months of the year, but a villa will be more expensive than an apartment.
Old May 11th 2014, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
government and semi government only, but you can get around that now and rent in the middle of nowhere at al ghadeer.
Old May 12th 2014, 7:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

JLT traffic is fine and if in one of the clusters from M-Z you have easy access to the big new park they've built.
Old May 14th 2014, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

didi777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your replies and advice.

The greens i heard from someone that it doesn't have a close metro station depending on where you live in the greens - if you live in certain blocks its too far to walk to a metro or to shops??! Is that true?

Is access to SZR very busy at peak times going to AD (Masdar city- its not gov related job) or its ok? As my husband will be working there - driving every day. He is not keen on living in AD at all, he much prefers DUbai. He feels I will be more bored there as there's not many malls or marina like areas for me to spend time in.

We're receiving 225K living allowance so we will be looking for a 3 bed apartment. My husband is very fussy about the quality of apartments. Someone has got it into his head that the finishing of the apartments in THE GREENS isn't great neither are the pool facilities and the gyms there. In comparison to the marina.
Is this true?

Can anyone shed some light on the truth from what we have heard from people.
Old May 15th 2014, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your replies and advice.

The greens i heard from someone that it doesn't have a close metro station depending on where you live in the greens - if you live in certain blocks its too far to walk to a metro or to shops??! Is that true?

Is access to SZR very busy at peak times going to AD (Masdar city- its not gov related job) or its ok? As my husband will be working there - driving every day. He is not keen on living in AD at all, he much prefers DUbai. He feels I will be more bored there as there's not many malls or marina like areas for me to spend time in.

We're receiving 225K living allowance so we will be looking for a 3 bed apartment. My husband is very fussy about the quality of apartments. Someone has got it into his head that the finishing of the apartments in THE GREENS isn't great neither are the pool facilities and the gyms there. In comparison to the marina.
Is this true?

Can anyone shed some light on the truth from what we have heard from people.
I'd take the greens over the marina. And both over JLT.

AD is a nice city. Don't rule it out
Old May 15th 2014, 6:18 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

The 'old' Greens (low rise) are a bit tired. The newer high rise buildings are called The Views, they are nice with good finishes and facilities. Your budget is enough for a 3 bed there, but as there are only a few towers, and not that many 3 beds, there won't be that much on the market so you need to be a bit lucky.
They are not close to the Metro, but walking isn't an option for about 6 months of the year anyway because of the weather.
The Greens/Views is a nice area, good for families.
Access onto SZR is good.

The Marina has lots of different towers in different qualities, for 225,000 you can find a nice apartment, but there will be only a few that will be within walking distance of the Metro. Access onto SZR will depend on where the tower is. There is no such thing as 'The Marina' in terms of facilities and quality, every tower is different. There are horrible cheap ones and there are amazing luxurious ones and everything in between.

Dubai is a city that is made for cars, there is a lot of traffic, at some point you will be in it, no matter where you live. Some areas are better than others, but there is nowhere you can live without hitting 'the traffic' at some point. That's just the way it is and you will have to get used to it.

You simply can't live somewhere that is and close to the main roads, close to the Metro, close to the shops, close to work and close to the kids schools. It will always be a matter of compromising.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Mrskaraman is an unknown quantity at this point

I think most places have a kiddies play park so I think if it has a community area it should work!
Old Sep 7th 2014, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of

Abu Dhabi is much more manageable with a baby or kids, nice place to live.
And if there aren't enough Malls then I'm not sure what you're looking for
Old Sep 7th 2014, 8:59 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Is this your first time to the UAE? If yes then I must commend you on your research skills. As mentioned above, it would make much more sense to live in AD or very close to it to save on the commute as I am told it starts to get to you after a while. I have been to AD only a couple of times and found the malls just like dxbs so I would recommend AD rather than DXB. Btw if you have seen one mall, uve seen em all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.