Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai from Abu

Moving to Dubai from Abu

Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai from Abu

Originally Posted by mission
Barasti is a sh*thole, truly horrendous....full of chavs who think they are 'living the dream' and can mouth off to whoever is willing to listen to them. I find the brit crowd in there complete tossers.
I never go near the place , it was ok in the late 90's .
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I reckon 80%+ of people who do the commute hate it. Some it takes longer than others but there's a very short shelf life for those who can tolerate it.

The 20ish% who just do it and don't mind are either telling porkies or have perhaps always been long commuters.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I reckon 80%+ of people who do the commute hate it. Some it takes longer than others but there's a very short shelf life for those who can tolerate it.

The 20ish% who just do it and don't mind are either telling porkies or have perhaps always been long commuters.
It's relative to what you do and how long you're working day is but i know guys who work in construction and leave DXB at 4.30am and are getting back at 7pm sometimes 6 days a week.

That's well and truly daft plus dangerous.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
But the petrol stations along E11 have massive queues,
I didn't realise when I bought my car that having the filler on the right hand side would be such a time saver...

Barasti is a sh*thole, truly horrendous....full of chavs who think they are 'living the dream' and can mouth off to whoever is willing to listen to them. I find the brit crowd in there complete tossers.
This is Iggle we're talking about...

Originally Posted by co durham boy
It's relative to what you do and how long you're working day is but i know guys who work in construction and leave DXB at 4.30am and are getting back at 7pm sometimes 6 days a week.

That's well and truly daft plus dangerous.
Dangerous indeed. Like Iggle said, project guys will move site to site and a drive is normal. But the problem I've always had with the AD-DXB drive (I do it regularly to see a mate in AD and have done it far too many times with work on the odd day visits) is that it's mind numbingly dull.

That being said, my drive home from my old office in JLT to Business Bay used to take 40+ mins easily because of traffic.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

I didn't realise when I bought my car that having the filler on the right hand side would be such a time saver...

This is Iggle we're talking about...

Dangerous indeed. Like Iggle said, project guys will move site to site and a drive is normal. But the problem I've always had with the AD-DXB drive (I do it regularly to see a mate in AD and have done it far too many times with work on the odd day visits) is that it's mind numbingly dull.

That being said, my drive home from my old office in JLT to Business Bay used to take 40+ mins easily because of traffic.
Yeah but the concept and mentality are different , it might take you 40 mins but you're travelling 15 K .

Getting your head around punching through 100K is a bit of a downer. Plus you're always trying to beat the traffic / route / leave early / Eid / Ramadan all sorts of shit .

Your life can be consumed by that road .
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I entirely agree.

I do the commute. The office and where I live are right off E11 so I don't fuss about with alternative routes. If you're driving from outskirts AD to Dubai Marina or JLT you will have solidly flowing traffic and can easily do 140k for most of the distance.

When driving I don't answer the mobile. I'm entirely with my thoughts. And that's sort of nice in its own way.

I wouldn't do the commute for years, but if it was for 1-2 years it's manageable.

Yeah but the concept and mentality are different , it might take you 40 mins but you're travelling 15 K .

Getting your head around punching through 100K is a bit of a downer. Plus you're always trying to beat the traffic / route / leave early / Eid / Ramadan all sorts of shit .

Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise when I bought my car that having the filler on the right hand side would be such a time saver... .
yep totally.....my current car and my last 2 cars, the tank was on the passenger side of the car.....way quicker, than having the tank on the other side.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:58 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a chav! I went private school

Old Jul 24th 2016, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
I am not a chav! I went private school

you sure you don't have a couple of Burberry caps in your closet
Old Jul 24th 2016, 12:08 pm
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

you sure you don't have a couple of Burberry caps in your closet
No but Scamps keeps something in his closet

Old Jul 24th 2016, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

LUV South Park.....that episode about Cruise coming out, was hilarious.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Very true. It's monotonous isn't it. I used to get into podcasts but by the time it's Tuesday afternoon I'd run out and went back to my mix of early 90's gangster rap....which you're not always in the mood for.

When driving I don't answer the mobile. I'm entirely with my thoughts. And that's sort of nice in its own way.
Mobile - good point, even on hands free I notice concentration on the road diminishes....even if it's the perfect time to catch up with friends / family etc.

Being at one with one's thoughts is always nice. But every day for 2 years for example I'd be schizo.

yep totally.....my current car and my last 2 cars, the tank was on the passenger side of the car.....way quicker, than having the tank on the other side.
Utter lifesaver isn't it. **** having one on the left.

Originally Posted by iggle
No but Scamps keeps something in his closet
Yes, my red chinos, barbour jacket and jack wills joggers.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

I do the commute. The office and where I live are right off E11 so I don't fuss about with alternative routes. If you're driving from outskirts AD to Dubai Marina or JLT you will have solidly flowing traffic and can easily do 140k for most of the distance.

I wouldn't do the commute for years, but if it was for 1-2 years it's manageable.
Isn't the max speed limit 120kph now on the Dubai section of the road?
Old Jul 24th 2016, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I hope not.

Given that I haven't received any tickets in the last 18 months I don't think that's the case. The signs are still marked 120 all the way to the Marina, except for where they're building the flyovers for the new Bollywood theme park. The only area where it's still 120km max is by the Deerfields shopping centre just before Yas (100 + 20km grace).

Originally Posted by Pongo
Isn't the max speed limit 120kph now on the Dubai section of the road?
Old Jul 24th 2016, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

driving at 139.9k, with some asshole on cruse control at 140.2k flashing and tailgating you for miles on end...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.