Moving to Doha

Old Mar 1st 2012, 9:24 am
Just Joined

JMP64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Doha

Hi guys,
I am new to this forum and just fishing for some greatly needed advice.
I am in the process of final selection for a permanent position in Doha working in medicine/healthcare.
The details of the post are not final as yet but I believe the offer so far is £70k GBP with benefits. This is a senior position within the oganisation though less senior than what I currently hold in London. For this reason the tax free income and benefits are crucial for me. I have no children and have heard that being female my partner will not be allowed to come with me. Can I just check if it would be possible if we were married? I know it is ilegal for unmarried couples to cohabitate, so would this jeopardise my job if we were caught? I cannot accept the post, if offered, without him coming with me. Would this work against me if I insisted my partner/husband coming too? Would he have to come in on a visitor's visa until he can find a job and sponsor in his own right? What is the employment situation for British men over there who will need sponsorhsip for work?
My other need of advice is on the benefits allowance itself. Can anyone suggest what is a good offer worth negotiating? I have been informed that average accommdation allowance is between 12-16k QR. What is the rule on this? Also the felxibility? I have heard of travel expenses but not sure what the going rate is and if this includes private cars or own vehicle. Finally the flight tickets. Are there set amounts and if so are they for direct family or even sole use? I have also heard that permission is needed for exit by the sponsor for each trip. Is this true? Given the differences in regulations and obligations, though unusual are not severe, is Doha a pleasant place to live for a quiet couple?
Any advice or guidance would be very much appreciated.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Doha

Originally Posted by JMP64
Hi guys,
I am new to this forum and just fishing for some greatly needed advice.
I am in the process of final selection for a permanent position in Doha working in medicine/healthcare.
The details of the post are not final as yet but I believe the offer so far is £70k GBP with benefits. This is a senior position within the oganisation though less senior than what I currently hold in London. For this reason the tax free income and benefits are crucial for me. I have no children and have heard that being female my partner will not be allowed to come with me. Can I just check if it would be possible if we were married? I know it is ilegal for unmarried couples to cohabitate, so would this jeopardise my job if we were caught? I cannot accept the post, if offered, without him coming with me. Would this work against me if I insisted my partner/husband coming too? Would he have to come in on a visitor's visa until he can find a job and sponsor in his own right? What is the employment situation for British men over there who will need sponsorhsip for work?
My other need of advice is on the benefits allowance itself. Can anyone suggest what is a good offer worth negotiating? I have been informed that average accommdation allowance is between 12-16k QR. What is the rule on this? Also the felxibility? I have heard of travel expenses but not sure what the going rate is and if this includes private cars or own vehicle. Finally the flight tickets. Are there set amounts and if so are they for direct family or even sole use? I have also heard that permission is needed for exit by the sponsor for each trip. Is this true? Given the differences in regulations and obligations, though unusual are not severe, is Doha a pleasant place to live for a quiet couple?
Any advice or guidance would be very much appreciated.
Look through the Qatar threads for specifics as you'll find a lot of answers in there .

If you get caught living together you'll both be at least deported , a fine , maybe jail , who knows .
I do know people who co-habit here , my advice is it's too dodgy in Qatar especially when you have a lot to lose . He could come in on a tourist visa and do visa runs until you settled down in the job and if everythings cool go and get hitched .

Employment situation for British men is crap for male strippers but great for Project managers and QS's , give us a clue ?

Insist on a multiple exit visa , they cost 500QAR per year and you can come and go without the exit permit bull.

A couple can live a pleasantlife in Doha if the deals right , it's not Vegas but you'll be fine , it's more dull than dazzling .

Hope that helps
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:13 am
Just Joined

JMP64 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Co Durham Boy.
My partner works in credit control so it would be that line of work.
Are there also restrictions on setting up in business at some point?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the industry - Pig farming is particularly troublesome.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Co Durham Boy.
My partner works in credit control so it would be that line of work.
I can't help you with the credit control , maybe someone else can . Setting up business is a nightmare here , it has got easier but it's a total minefield .
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Another one you've scared away to Expatwoman....!
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:05 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Along with your own distillery no doubt