British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Moving apartments (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/moving-apartments-903329/)

mission Sep 14th 2017 11:46 am

Moving apartments

So folks it's that time of the year where i move apartments (i have moved 7 times in the 9 years i have been here and this will be my 8th time moving!).
Every damn year the moving company that moved me the year before, no longer exits the following year and so in light of this, if anyone can recommend any decent movers, then that would be appreciated. Thanks.

DXBtoDOH Sep 14th 2017 11:50 am

Re: Moving apartments

Why are you moving?

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12337960)
So folks it's that time of the year where i move apartments (i have moved 7 times in the 9 years i have been here and this will be my 8th time moving!).
Every damn year the moving company that moved me the year before, no longer exits the following year and so in light of this, if anyone can recommend any decent movers, then that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Miss Ann Thrope Sep 14th 2017 11:53 am

You do know what you're setting yourself up for here, pet?

mission Sep 14th 2017 11:54 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12337964)
Why are you moving?

i currently live in the movenpick in JLT - the building is truly pants....just sick of the constant issues with the lift....the in-house maintenance team/company have got to be the worse i have come across...you call them....they come and do an inspection....they tell you on the spot they will fix it.....several days later (after having chased them several times) they come back saying they can't fix it and that you have to find an external source to do the repairs.
And the worse of all is the bad odour that comes through the AC vents when you switch it on....you get all the cooking smells from the other apartments...at times it literally makes me want to vomit.
I'm moving back to the Marina in a brand new building and so fingers crossed it isn't as bad.

mission Sep 14th 2017 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12337966)
You do know what you're setting yourself up for here, pet?

i know...i'm just waiting for DUBIAEXILE to rear his mug shot:p

DXBtoDOH Sep 14th 2017 12:39 pm

If you had to move seven times in nine years you either have terrible luck or you're the worst tenant ever ;)

I'll bookmark this thread for next year when you move into yet another apartment.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 14th 2017 1:22 pm

*Loads joke gun*

Pongo Sep 14th 2017 3:12 pm

Would this be a better option, trade in your car...

U.A.E RV Dealer | Gulf Coast RV | Top selling RV and Caravan Dealer in UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman & Bahrain

NorthernLad Sep 14th 2017 3:29 pm

We've used this company three times now, no complaints at all.

Packing and moving services | International Moving companies | Dubai

Dubaiexile Sep 15th 2017 6:32 am

Toooooo easy, not bothering honestly....just going to watch this thread with interest.........just keep an eye out for a crazy lady with 7 suitcases crashing around buildings in her PJ`S......

Gavtek Sep 17th 2017 3:43 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 12338118)

Also used them and was very happy, surprisingly organised and professional.

The thing I liked most was that they came round 2 days before the move with a bunch of boxes so we could fill them up ourselves so they could concentrate on the furniture and fragile items on move day.

Also, in my experience, you have less maintenance problems in older buildings. New buildings always seem to have lots of teething problems, and the overall running of the building (front desk, maintenance, etc) is more chaotic.

UKCityGent Sep 17th 2017 5:10 am

Just wondering - If you have moved 7 times in the last 9 years don't you have a good understanding of the reloc companies ?

In the last 9.5 years I have moved only once - and was a painful experience !

mission Sep 17th 2017 10:31 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12338014)
If you had to move seven times in nine years you either have terrible luck or you're the worst tenant ever ;)

I'll bookmark this thread for next year when you move into yet another apartment.

neither actually....i'm an awesome tenant....i have never been asked not to renew....i have a few OCD issues and so prefer to live in a brand new apartment where no has lived before - however unfortunately for the last 3 years, due to no new decent buildings being on the market (in the marina/jlt area), i've had to resort to staying in used apartments, which turned out to have issues with not only the apartment itself but the building also. I'm sure most people would live with it, but not I. And unfortunately you can never tell what issues the aprt/building has until you physically start living there. So going forward if i end up moving again in a year's time it will only ever be to another brand new building, where at least the first year's maintenance is all covered.

mission Sep 17th 2017 10:34 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 12338118)

Originally Posted by Gavtek (Post 12339722)
Also used them and was very happy, surprisingly organised and professional.

The thing I liked most was that they came round 2 days before the move with a bunch of boxes so we could fill them up ourselves so they could concentrate on the furniture and fragile items on move day.

Also, in my experience, you have less maintenance problems in older buildings. New buildings always seem to have lots of teething problems, and the overall running of the building (front desk, maintenance, etc) is more chaotic.

Thanks will give them shout.
Regarding the maintenance - i have found the older the building the more issues it has.

mission Sep 17th 2017 10:36 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12339737)
Just wondering - If you have moved 7 times in the last 9 years don't you have a good understanding of the reloc companies ?

In the last 9.5 years I have moved only once - and was a painful experience !

yes and no - in the past i have used the same companies, but they no longer exist (i did say that in my post:p) otherwise i would have used the last company i used who were awesome.