British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Moving on (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/moving-889603/)

Big_Show Jan 5th 2017 3:14 am

Moving on

Just handed in my notice last week and starting the lengthy process of getting out of Doha - last working day's on the 28th Feb, aiming to get out of the country within a couple of days after that at most.

I have a piece of paper as long as my arm with the signatures and stamps that I need in order to make this happen, so it's going to be a fun couple of months...

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 5th 2017 3:35 am

Re: Moving on

Congrats?

Where you off to next?

Big_Show Jan 5th 2017 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12142969)
Congrats?

Where you off to next?

Definitely congrats. Off back to Blighty!

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 5th 2017 4:12 am

Lovely, enjoy! Meow has posted a link about things to consider when leaving the Middle East I think....probably find it in any of her signature links.

DXBtoDOH Jan 5th 2017 4:43 am

Lucky bastard :cool:

Big_Show Jan 5th 2017 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12142991)
Lovely, enjoy! Meow has posted a link about things to consider when leaving the Middle East I think....probably find it in any of her signature links.

Cheers, I'll have a look! Handily someone who left here last year wrote a checklist based on his experiences leaving, so I've got a good starting point. I'm going to update it in the process for other guys who'll probably be off next year too.

mission Jan 5th 2017 10:04 am

is it really that complicated and convoluted to 'leave' the country?
you close your bank account
you pay off any cc debts and close those off
cancel dewa, du/etisalat, car reg, salik,
what's missing?

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 5th 2017 11:56 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12143146)
what's missing?

Book a flight.

auh123 Jan 5th 2017 1:41 pm

what's missing?

It is.
I left Abu Dhabi 2 years ago and the process was frustrating.
My bank account with ADCB remains open despite every effort. Have simply given up now.
I spent 2 days at etisalat closing my phone account
ADDC closure took about 4 visits (bring this bit of paper/no bring it as a colour copy/ no where is stamp etc etc)
I could go on.
Prepare to be patient.

Big_Show Jan 6th 2017 12:31 am

what's missing?

I have a page worth of signatures needed from the various departments for my company to prove I don't have anything signed out to me or owe any money. This includes going to a library I've never visited to confirm I never took out any books, that kind of thing. And of course not all of these departments are on the same site...

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12143214)
Book a flight.

This is the bit I want to do most, but I currently daren't until everything else is sorted! Luckily I won't be paying it for myself anyway though, so the subsequent increase in ticket prices doesn't bother me as much as it would.

Johnnyboy11 Jan 6th 2017 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Big_Show (Post 12142953)
Just handed in my notice last week and starting the lengthy process of getting out of Doha - last working day's on the 28th Feb, aiming to get out of the country within a couple of days after that at most.

I have a piece of paper as long as my arm with the signatures and stamps that I need in order to make this happen, so it's going to be a fun couple of months...

You clear on the UK tax implications of returning to the UK before the end of the tax year? There is a split year concession available, but it comes with strings attached.

Big_Show Jan 8th 2017 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 (Post 12144046)
You clear on the UK tax implications of returning to the UK before the end of the tax year? There is a split year concession available, but it comes with strings attached.

Yeah, I've looked into all that thanks.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 8th 2017 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Big_Show (Post 12143879)
I have a page worth of signatures needed from the various departments for my company to prove I don't have anything signed out to me or owe any money. This includes going to a library I've never visited to confirm I never took out any books, that kind of thing. And of course not all of these departments are on the same site...

I would kind of enjoy some of this stuff. Menial tasks, just rolling around getting some bits done. Pleasant days.

Caveat
I would enjoy this stuff if it was on company time and instead of working. Not on my own time.

Big_Show Jan 8th 2017 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12145648)
Caveat
I would enjoy this stuff if it was on company time and instead of working. Not on my own time.

I have been assured that this is the case. In fact, they were surprised I even came back to work at all that day instead of wandering off to get started on them, despite the fact we had a big deadline the next day and I do actually still work here for the next two months.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 8th 2017 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Big_Show (Post 12145651)
I have been assured that this is the case. In fact, they were surprised I even came back to work at all that day instead of wandering off to get started on them, despite the fact we had a big deadline the next day and I do actually still work here for the next two months.

Brilliant.
I resigned from my other job out here and was out of the office packed up and done within 2 hours....yes, that included typing a leaving email to the whole office....dictated by my boss over my shoulder. :blink: