British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Movie downloads (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/movie-downloads-601850/)

Autonomy Apr 5th 2009 10:22 am

Movie downloads

Loads of us either download via torrent or buy pirate movies.

Why is this? Is it because they are free / very cheap, available before the legal versions / uncensored?

Just curious - if there was a legal high quality download to own / download to rent would you use it (possible hi def offerings too)?

e.g. Download to rent - either for 24 hours or for 3 views for 10dhs...

MacScot Apr 5th 2009 10:24 am

Re: Movie downloads

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7452915)

Why is this? Is it because they are free / very cheap, available before the legal versions / uncensored?

Just curious - if there was a legal high quality download to own / download to rent would you use it (possible hi def offerings too)?

'Tis all new to me...I just downloaded Vuze for Mac OS X and don't really now what I am doing ! :o

Don't know if the HD downloads are legal or not.

shiva Apr 5th 2009 10:31 am

all of the above.
eg where is the incentive to rent a legal file for 10 dhs when you can buy a dvd at a very similar or equal quality and own it permanently for the same sum of 10dhs.
Now if we were able to pay 10dhs and have a permanent legal copy in HD, then it would be a viable and incentivised option, until that happens dvd lady pirate bay etc are always going to win.

Autonomy Apr 5th 2009 10:52 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7452937)
all of the above.
eg where is the incentive to rent a legal file for 10 dhs when you can buy a dvd at a very similar or equal quality and own it permanently for the same sum of 10dhs.
Now if we were able to pay 10dhs and have a permanent legal copy in HD, then it would be a viable and incentivised option, until that happens dvd lady pirate bay etc are always going to win.

so - your argument is 2 fold - cost and quality.

Another point is instant ease of access.

Consider - sat at home, want to watch movie - DVD lady hasn't been by in a while. Torrents take a while and can still be crap quality and may involve messing about with file convertions. 2 clicks and your watching a progressive download within a few mins on a decent broadband at DVD quality for the price of 1/3 of a pint.

You also want quality and to own it - DVD lady not best option again, also - how many times do you watch the average DVD - once probably.

How about if it was totally for free? Ad supported, you watch for free but have the film "sponsored" by a brand... free, easy and very convenient...

shiva Apr 5th 2009 11:12 am

and there is an example of why the dvd lady reigns here.

I just tried to post a lengthy reply only for etishite to send my reply into the nevertobeseenagain ether.

in short, genuine same cost permanent copy can compete anything else is a looser.

download/stream: UAE net penetration is at 10% with media servers etc probably numbering in the hundreds only, great idea/technology, not workable here yet.

shiva Apr 5th 2009 11:15 am

oh and ad supported...no way no how, a big part of many peoples download enjoyment is some other smuck has had to sit through the ads and has removed them for you.

if you want a model that works copy the pirates, market forces have deemed that that is the model people want, until the big studios match it they are out of the game and will continue to lose revenue

give me a perfect unrestricted multiple file type download from a fast server that is stupidly cheap and i'll consider genuine, until then...........

Roadking Apr 5th 2009 11:23 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7453028)
oh and ad supported...no way no how, a big part of many peoples download enjoyment is some other smuck has had to sit through the ads and has removed them for you.

if you want a model that works copy the pirates, market forces have deemed that that is the model people want, until the big studios match it they are out of the game and will continue to lose revenue

give me a perfect unrestricted multiple file type download from a fast server that is stupidly cheap and i'll consider genuine, until then...........

You'll steal from the Movie Shopkeepers???

hehehehe

Autonomy Apr 5th 2009 11:25 am

i do actually agree with much of what you say - what about the proposed ISP media tax idea - all ISP "tax" users in return to be able to download what ever they want for "free".

They trialled this in the Isle Of Man recently.

With UAE broadband that "may" change soon:-

http://www.itp.net/news/551559-fibre...re-uae-by-2011

The problem is the movie companies have not learned from music yet. There is incentive for artists to give away music for "free" as promotion for gigs / merch - but for movies - what is the incentive to give away very cheap or free - there still should be fair exchange for the end use otherwise how do they pay to make new movies - no?

shiva Apr 5th 2009 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7453047)
You'll steal from the Movie Shopkeepers???

hehehehe

not very often, usually from tv studios and they're paid by ads and they dont pay the writers for dvd sales so **** em

Roadking Apr 5th 2009 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7453051)
i do actually agree with much of what you say - what about the proposed ISP media tax idea - all ISP "tax" users in return to be able to download what ever they want for "free".

The problem is the movie companies have not learned from music yet. There is incentive for artists to give away music for "free" as promotion for gigs / merch - but for movies - what is the incentive to give away very cheap or free - there still should be fair exchange for the end use otherwise how do they pay to make new movies - no?

Well, I guess for one, you could quit paying actors stoooopid amounts of money to act in a movie.

Oh, and the directors, editors, boomboys, teaboys and bumboys....

shiva Apr 5th 2009 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7453051)

saw that itp thing, good news, now all they need to do is lower the cost from the worlds most expensive per kb to something more reasonable than daylight ****ing robbery, for what i pay for a 4mb connection here, in korea i could have 64 billion gb/s, london i could have 25+mb/s etc etc

still.unsure Apr 5th 2009 11:33 am

what you've outlined is the itunes/netflix/et al movie rental model that they've got in the US (and i think the UK as well... lovefilm now does internet, yeah?)

in any event, torrents/illegal download will always be popular as they're free. ("if it's free, it's for me. if i pay, no way")

personally, i can see the 'net allowing people who struggle to find a distribution company get out there. there's some brilliant independant/small time film makers that have only gotten 'out there' due to stroke of luck/fluke/act of deity. (morgan spurlock and his 'supersize me' doco...)

as for this happening in the ME? not a snowballs chance in riyadh...

Madam Medusa Apr 5th 2009 11:42 am

i now download all my movies...i do it not as a money thing, but it is accessible, easy and i can do it when i think about it, i always forget which movies i want to see...i would defo pay if there was a good, reliable service which offered movies as soon as they were released...

MM, xx

bimcnorth Apr 5th 2009 11:58 am

I never download anything, it´s a favorite trap for hackers looking for Zombies I´m afraid and suddenly your IP number is listed with Echelon..:frown:

shiva Apr 5th 2009 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by bimcnorth (Post 7453116)
I never download anything, it´s a favorite trap for hackers looking for Zombies I´m afraid and suddenly your IP number is listed with Echelon..:frown:

yup and by using the word echelon your ip's logged anyways ;)