Motorbike

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 5:32 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Motorbike

Morning folks,

Few quick questions;

- I've got a Dubai license (obviously) for 'Light Vehicles'. Assume this doesn't cover Motorbikes?
- Are the usual suspects, Belhasa etc the best places for lessons if required to obtain a motorbike license?
- Has anyone done it?

Thanks

Scamplooksgoodinleather.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorbike

Are you mad? motorbike in Dubai- do you have a death wish Scampers?
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 5:37 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1 View Post
Are you mad? motorbike in Dubai- do you have a death wish Scampers?
Should have seen that response coming.

No, just always wanted one. Something small, nothing stupid, just to run around on to mall, shops nearby etc.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

honestly scamp I think your mad to even think about it. I could reel off a list of friends I've lost on motorbikes here in the UK over the years- where the driving of other drivers is considered good, let alone when the standard of other drivers is less so and no awareness of drivers around them. And I don't think you'd want to be wearing leathers in Dubai temperatures- sweaty scamp may not be the look you are going for.

And don't get me wrong I love motorbikes, love riding pillion etc but I'd never even contemplate it in Dubai with an experienced biker let alone a new one.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 5:45 am
WWLLCJD?

honestly scamp I think your mad to even think about it. I could reel off a list of friends I've lost on motorbikes here in the UK over the years- where the driving of other drivers is considered good, let alone when the standard of other drivers is less so and no awareness of drivers around them. And I don't think you'd want to be wearing leathers in Dubai temperatures- sweaty scamp may not be the look you are going for.

And don't get me wrong I love motorbikes, love riding pillion etc but I'd never even contemplate it in Dubai with an experienced biker let alone a new one.
I've ridden a little before, no way experienced, but always wanted a bike.

I'm looking at something that would go offroad too, so basically a dirt bike to play about on. The backroads of Business Bay are empty too muck around on.

I'm not a complete idiot at heart but this is something I fancy playing at.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

well don't tell your mother as she'll freak out! and I still think its a stupid idea!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 6:06 am
WWLLCJD?

well don't tell your mother as she'll freak out! and I still think its a stupid idea!
I'll tell her when I've got one.

Struggling to find sensible stuff on Dubizzle though, everything is big engine/superbike status.

We'll see. An idea at the mo.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thats because its a special kind of idiot that would start riding a bike in Dubai scamp- you'll struggle to find a 125 - a suped up hairdryer might do the trick
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 7:00 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to get a Dubai license. You are well advised to do this in the UK and convert it here. A friend of mine is doing just that after about 40 lessons and several failed tests in Duabi (and he could ride a bike). Basically, they fail you and don't tell you why as you have to have 5 more lessons before you can retest. Oh, and the tuition company does the tests.

Apparently also, the test requires you to do some stupid things, like going fast in circles on a dusty track. Better to pass in the UK and covert.

As for bike safety here - I'd only use one in the desert, but even then I would prefer to use a car. Oh, and I broke my wrist on the day I bought my motorbike in the UK
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I have a full bike licence in the UK and so when I got my UAE licence I just converted it over. Saying that I just basically pointed at the bike on the back of my licence and said make sure you include that. They didn't ask about levels of experience etc, so you may just get away with CBT.

With regards to riding over here, I have had a Buell XB12Ss and a Suzuki GSX-R 750 and both were fine, although as I had done the Direct Access course back home (to get my licence) which repeatedly batters observation and defensive riding into you I felt that I had the skills to do it. The only thing you have to remember is to ride like you are invisible. If you do that and think that everyine on the road is just about to do something stupid then you'll be fine.

Also, get a loud exhaust. A loud pipe is probably £ for £ the best safety addition to a bike as if they can't see you but they can hear you they'll look some more. Loud pipes save lives!

Also, most speed cameras in DXB point at the front...... where a bike has no licence plate... Enjoy!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:43 am
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
You will need to get a Dubai license. You are well advised to do this in the UK and convert it here. A friend of mine is doing just that after about 40 lessons and several failed tests in Duabi (and he could ride a bike). Basically, they fail you and don't tell you why as you have to have 5 more lessons before you can retest. Oh, and the tuition company does the tests.

Apparently also, the test requires you to do some stupid things, like going fast in circles on a dusty track. Better to pass in the UK and covert.

As for bike safety here - I'd only use one in the desert, but even then I would prefer to use a car. Oh, and I broke my wrist on the day I bought my motorbike in the UK
Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
I have a full bike licence in the UK and so when I got my UAE licence I just converted it over. Saying that I just basically pointed at the bike on the back of my licence and said make sure you include that. They didn't ask about levels of experience etc, so you may just get away with CBT.

With regards to riding over here, I have had a Buell XB12Ss and a Suzuki GSX-R 750 and both were fine, although as I had done the Direct Access course back home (to get my licence) which repeatedly batters observation and defensive riding into you I felt that I had the skills to do it. The only thing you have to remember is to ride like you are invisible. If you do that and think that everyine on the road is just about to do something stupid then you'll be fine.

Also, get a loud exhaust. A loud pipe is probably £ for £ the best safety addition to a bike as if they can't see you but they can hear you they'll look some more. Loud pipes save lives!

Also, most speed cameras in DXB point at the front...... where a bike has no licence plate... Enjoy!
Thanks gents, will have a look at costs and processes here.

Then will compare with maybe doing something when back in the UK.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:11 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

It was nice knowing you.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to carry a doner card.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:17 am
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
It was nice knowing you.
Looking slightly less likely.

Tests and license here appears a ball ache.

Been looking on Dubizzle periodically for a while and not a lot going that's sensible and cheap enough.

But I will perservere and keep hunting.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:18 am
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by OleJanx View Post
Don't forget to carry a doner card.
What, like "chicken with extra chilli sauce"?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.