British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Motherly Advice Please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/motherly-advice-please-511120/)

lionheart Feb 2nd 2008 9:54 am

Motherly Advice Please

Your 4yo daughter throws up three times in an hour in the early hours of the morning but is otherwise in good health, no fever. What would you do?

mumtofive Feb 2nd 2008 10:00 am

Re: Motherly Advice Please

Hi,
Plenty of fluids to keep her hydrated and basically just watch her,if anything changes see the doc.
Angex

why Feb 2nd 2008 10:08 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5872987)
Your 4yo daughter throws up three times in an hour in the early hours of the morning but is otherwise in good health, no fever. What would you do?

check her for spots,watch her and as above plenty of fluids and resting in bed..if there are spots may be see a doctor...vomiting can be a symptom of lots of things and it can also be nothing..also ask her how she feels...

Madam Medusa Feb 2nd 2008 10:28 am

i agree with that advice, fluids are very important. Try to get her to eat something too...my mum always advised dry toast or crackers if they won't take anything else...

how's she been since this morning...??

MM, xx

axlenoyl Feb 2nd 2008 10:41 am

As everyone is saying plenty of fluids preferably water, keep an eye on her if vomiting continues then take her to the doctor, keep checking her tongue for signs of dehydration.if she has no temperature and is geberally otherwise well in herself then it could well be just a bug that does the rounds from timr to time, there is a really bad one in the UK at minute which lasts 24hrs and comes with stomache cramps. Keep us posted on progress.
Take care.

lionheart Feb 2nd 2008 11:52 am

Thanks for the helpful advice...the reason I asked was because my wife insisted that she should be rushed to hospital immediately, which I thought was over-kill. Anyway, they diagnosed a so-called virus and gave her an injection. She is not really any better right now, but hopefully will improve.

Grace O Malley Feb 2nd 2008 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5873326)
Thanks for the helpful advice...the reason I asked was because my wife insisted that she should be rushed to hospital immediately, which I thought was over-kill. Anyway, they diagnosed a so-called virus and gave her an injection. She is not really any better right now, but hopefully will improve.

Hope she's better soon :)

The Dean Feb 2nd 2008 6:28 pm

I've noted all the helpful advice - and I hope she will feel better asap - but here's a further point.

(Those of a nervous disposition, or without a strong stomach, look away now)

Always take a sample of the vomit with you to the medics. I'm serious - if they can test it pronto, it will help a lot with diagnosis. When mine were young and that happened, the GP back home would always sniff it - and sometimes even get a tiny bit on his fingertip and TASTE it.

It is why they always ask 'what has she eaten? how is her appetite?' etc.

You can put your stomachs back now. Sorry.

mumtofive Feb 2nd 2008 6:29 pm

My two year old had a bug the week before last,the first day I starved him,but the next day he was whinging for food,when I spoke to the chemist they said dry biscuits or something bland like white rice or a jacket potato.
I hope she feels better soonxx

mumtofive Feb 2nd 2008 6:31 pm

Eurgh yuck-tasting vomit,Im glad Im not a doc. As for getting a sample thats good,but for me its bad enough cleaning the manky stuff up:unsure:

Madam Medusa Feb 3rd 2008 3:19 am

how is she today, lionheart...??

MM, xx

lionheart Feb 3rd 2008 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5876288)
how is she today, lionheart...??

MM, xx

The injection at Al Wasl Hospital did nothing so I went to a pharmacy where they sold me some suppositeries, which have stopped the vomiting within hours. She is still at home poorly and not yet eating but is well enough to watch cartoons on the goggle box...thanks for asking.

shakh your bootie Feb 3rd 2008 10:07 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5876961)
The injection at Al Wasl Hospital did nothing so I went to a pharmacy where they sold me some suppositeries, which have stopped the vomiting within hours. She is still at home poorly and not yet eating but is well enough to watch cartoons on the goggle box...thanks for asking.

Bless her - godspeed her recovery.

mumtofive Feb 3rd 2008 10:23 am

Aw-I hope your little girl gets better soon.
A xx