British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Mother of the year award goes to...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/mother-year-award-goes-606274/)

Kim67 Apr 29th 2009 6:24 pm

Mother of the year award goes to......

me!!!!!

Today I did something that made me feel extremely sick. I accidentally locked my 5 year old in the car and didn't even realise! We arrived home from school, everyone got out the car (so I thought) - got the shopping out of the boot. Saw all the car doors closed, locked the car and came inside. After about 5 minutes I ask the other two where their sister is, they said out the back playing with neighbours (which she usually does when she first arrives home). Another 5 minutes or so goes past and we hear this banging coming from the courtyard. I don't worry about it for a bit, then my husband and I both wonder what the sound is. Open the front door and see my baby bright red, screaming, pounding on the windows of the car and thankfully she thought to sound the horn just as I opened the door. I was using one of the little office cars while mine was in for service and it doesn't have a button in the front to unlock the doors and the door locks look just like part of the door handle. I got her out of the car and she was boiling hot and sobbing. Being an Australian and having heard a hundred times of kids dying in hot cars I should have known better. I hate to think what would have happened if we hadn't checked on the noise outside.

MataHari Apr 29th 2009 6:27 pm

Re: Mother of the year award goes to......

thankfully it all ended well...

Kim67 Apr 29th 2009 6:30 pm

Yes.....still makes you feel sick and stupid though. Makes you think before judging other people when accidents happen I guess.

MataHari Apr 29th 2009 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7527054)
Yes.....still makes you feel sick and stupid though. Makes you think before judging other people when accidents happen I guess.

yeah...think most parents at one point will experience some near fatal moment...
my daughter nearly drowned in a pool when I was sitting right there...took me eyes off her for just a few seconds stirring my coffee and looked up to see her hand disappear under water...
I will never say oh that won't ever happen to me...

Kim67 Apr 29th 2009 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7527081)
yeah...think most parents at one point will experience some near fatal moment...
my daughter nearly drowned in a pool when I was sitting right there...took me eyes off her for just a few seconds stirring my coffee and looked up to see her hand disappear under water...

I've had that happen too - very glam look at a party when you dive in fully clothed to save an over enthusiastic kid.

Alexa Apr 29th 2009 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7527081)

Too true....I let my kid go to the beach for hours, i was with him...forgot to put sun lotion on him......thank god he was only a little red...could have been much worse....

Confucius Apr 29th 2009 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7527025)
me!!!!!

Today I did something that made me feel extremely sick. I accidentally locked my 5 year old in the car and didn't even realise! We arrived home from school, everyone got out the car (so I thought) - got the shopping out of the boot. Saw all the car doors closed, locked the car and came inside. After about 5 minutes I ask the other two where their sister is, they said out the back playing with neighbours (which she usually does when she first arrives home). Another 5 minutes or so goes past and we hear this banging coming from the courtyard. I don't worry about it for a bit, then my husband and I both wonder what the sound is. Open the front door and see my baby bright red, screaming, pounding on the windows of the car and thankfully she thought to sound the horn just as I opened the door. I was using one of the little office cars while mine was in for service and it doesn't have a button in the front to unlock the doors and the door locks look just like part of the door handle. I got her out of the car and she was boiling hot and sobbing. Being an Australian and having heard a hundred times of kids dying in hot cars I should have known better. I hate to think what would have happened if we hadn't checked on the noise outside.

You were fortunate...Very fortunate...

Blue Cat Apr 30th 2009 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7527025)
me!!!!!

I love your honestly, alot would never admit their mistake. As MH says it all ended well. When Mitten was little I thought I had locked the baby gate to the downstairs landing (3 steps), I was wrong and she went down it in her baby walker and banged her head real badly, I felt guilty for months. It was the main reason we downsized to an apartment, I had nightmare about marble stairs for months.

lionheart Apr 30th 2009 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7527133)
You were fortunate...Very fortunate...

Never a truer word spoken in jest. See what happens...

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/General/10308861.html

Kim67 Apr 30th 2009 5:31 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7528462)
Never a truer word spoken in jest. See what happens...

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/General/10308861.html

That's just horrible........

I asked the grade 1 teacher at school this morning to speak to the class about what to do if they're trapped in the car and to ask their mum and dad how to unlock their car doors.

BorderTart Apr 30th 2009 6:06 am

I asked the grade 1 teacher at school this morning to speak to the class about what to do if they're trapped in the car and to ask their mum and dad how to unlock their car doors.[/QUOTE]

Good thinking.

I hope you and your wee one are ok today - I am sure it must have been a real shock for you.

Grace O Malley Apr 30th 2009 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7527054)

I think most honest parents will say that they have had some near misses with their kids, we are only human.

Meow Apr 30th 2009 11:46 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7528590)
I think most honest parents will say that they have had some near misses with their kids, we are only human.

Absolutely. You are allowed to make mistakes and children will have accidents whatever you do.

Glad your daughter is OK Kim, but don't beat yourself up over it.

-

Madam Medusa Apr 30th 2009 1:31 pm

kim, any parent who says they haven't had at least one totally heart stopping moment about their kids is lying...so glad to hear all was ok...

MM, xx

Grace O Malley Apr 30th 2009 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7529564)
kim, any parent who says they haven't had at least one totally heart stopping moment about their kids is lying...so glad to hear all was ok...

MM, xx

I had one 2 weeks ago and he is nearly 18?