Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Most disappointing holiday destination

Most disappointing holiday destination

Old Apr 10th 2018, 9:58 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most disappointing holiday destination

Originally Posted by Millhouse
All holiday places are what you make of it and your frame of mind. I’ve been to some shite places and had a blast and some ‘good’ places that I thought was rubbish.

For me, Budapest was in the terrible camp. Oh and butlins at bogna - but I knew it would be.
I loved Budapest! We'd rented an apartment from a young local man, he was one of the nicest people we've ever met. The city was clean, the architecture gorgeous, and it wasn't expensive to eat/drink/tour.

The only thing that we found a bit disconcerting was that every single deli counter in every single shop we went into had a grumpy woman serving. I'm not kidding - it was like it was a requirement of the job
Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

definitely Bali and a close second is Bangkok.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 11:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Fiji.....such a disappointment. Stayed on the Coral Coast which supposedly has the best beach in Fiji. Sorry but I'd prefer Southport beach to that. The hotel resort 's poshest restaurant managed to give me a wonderful dose of food poisoning that lasted for 2 weeks.

We soon got sick of the staff shouting "bula" at us and they avoided eye contact with us to avoid saying it, which we became grateful for. The snorkelling wasn't great and it's an expensive place to go. Food options were limited in the resort hotel and there were limited places to go outside of the resort. Noticed a lot of poverty among the Fijian Indians and quite a fair amount of racism levelled at them by the native Fijians.
We have no desire to head back there ever againu
Old Apr 10th 2018, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Fiji.....such a disappointment. Stayed on the Coral Coast which supposedly has the best beach in Fiji. Sorry but I'd prefer Southport beach to that. The hotel resort 's poshest restaurant managed to give me a wonderful dose of food poisoning that lasted for 2 weeks.

We soon got sick of the staff shouting "bula" at us and they avoided eye contact with us to avoid saying it, which we became grateful for. The snorkelling wasn't great and it's an expensive place to go. Food options were limited in the resort hotel and there were limited places to go outside of the resort. Noticed a lot of poverty among the Fijian Indians and quite a fair amount of racism levelled at them by the native Fijians.
We have no desire to head back there ever againu
Don't rule it out. The best beaches and snorkeling/diving are out on the Mamanucas and Yasawas islands off the coast of the mainland.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 4:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Don't rule it out. The best beaches and snorkeling/diving are out on the Mamanucas and Yasawas islands off the coast of the mainland.
Yes, we headed up that way on our snorkelling trip but we weren't very impressed. The trouble is that we have been to Aitutaki, Cook Islands and the place is just stunning, some excellent snorkelling and the people are just lovely. We have been thoroughly spoiled I'm afraid. Giving Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora a go this year.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 4:35 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Not a holiday destination but more of an attraction- the pyramids at Giza really are deeply underwhelming and the battle to get in to see them sucks balls.

Edit to add Stonehenge also.

Last edited by weasel decentral; Apr 11th 2018 at 4:49 am.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 4:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Edit to add Stonehenge also.
You take that back.

Stonehenge is magnificent, in a glorious county of wonderful people and is the only wonder of the world visible from the A303.

What's not to like?
Old Apr 11th 2018, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
What's not to like?
Southerners!
Old Apr 11th 2018, 6:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Southerners!
But the tours are in multiple languages so they might have 'Northern' too?