Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Most disappointing holiday destination

Most disappointing holiday destination

Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most disappointing holiday destination

Have had holidays that didn't meet my (often naive) pre-conceived ideas, but have never been disappointed. Different countries, different cultures, different ways of living - so much to see and learn.

And even if you come away from a place thinking 'thank god I don't live there', you've still gained something. You're going home, to a place you are (hopefully!) happy and grateful to have the opportunity to live in.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 9:57 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gavtek
Boracay in Philippines. Absolute shithole teeming with people trying to sell you things every step you take. Pain in the arse to get to (at least it was back then when you had to fly into Kalibo, 2 hours away in a shit minibus). The most ill I have been in my life was after eating seafood there, took me about 2 weeks to properly recover.

Rest of the country was alright though, didn't even hate Manila that much (although I didn't really go much further than Makati).
Yes! Boracay is a over hyped over priced cesspool of hawkers and scam artists. At least their crazy president is doing the right thing by shutting it down for a while. Alona beach at Bohol comes a closes second.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Loved Vietnam, apart from Hanoi which was meh.

Thailand - in particular Bangkok the second time round and in particular Chaweng on Koh Samui.
May as well have been in Magaluf.
Thailand has nicer places than K.Samui/Chaweng. Agree with your comparison.

Phuket/Patong falls into the same category. 20 years ago it was a dump. Never want to go back.

Last edited by Thairetired2016; Apr 10th 2018 at 1:14 am.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 4:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
For me, Budapest was in the terrible camp. Oh and butlins at bogna - but I knew it would be.
Budapest at night by the river is very pretty, but agree with you. Got fleeced in a strip club for a few hundred quid and even if the night life elsewhere was fun it's put me off saying nice things.

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Thailand has nicer places than K.Samui/Chaweng. Agree with your comparison.
Down the road in Lamai on K.Samui was totally different and really cool, very enjoyable.
K.Phagnan was brilliant too (didn't do any moon parties mind).
Old Apr 10th 2018, 5:07 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Dominican Republic.

Spent 2.5 weeks there last year and most of that was pretty meh. Palm fringed beaches, white sand, azure sea but step outside of the over-touristic hotels and resorts and my god. I've never seen a nation of people who give that little f**'s for their country and environment. Rubbish everywhere and the coral reef has been decimated by anchors, not that the local fishermen or dive shops give a toss. I stopped off on a bus ride to stretch the legs and saw a family throw a bin bag out of their window and down the hill, where it split open and joined the other steaming pile of rubbish that was already there along with, what seemed, the rest of the neighborhoods steaming piles of rubbish.

So conclusion - if you want a nice beach in a nice resort and will not leave this resort for the time you are there then go for it but as for a country to get out and about to explore, hell no. And don't even get me started on the Lonely Planet guide book to Dom Rep, the filthy lying bar stewards!
Old Apr 10th 2018, 5:09 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Sharm El Sheik
Second that! I'll add that to my list. Over priced Costa Del Sol of Egypt. Pretty good diving though, which was it's saving grace when we were there.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Millhouse

For me, Budapest was in the terrible camp. Oh and butlins at bogna - but I knew it would be.
Out of all the European destinations I've been to, Budapest was my least favourite. When I went (around Valentines break), it was absolutely dead and was definitely more rough than other European cities (homeless living in the train station, pickpockets sizing you up etc.)

Did love the spas and history though. Tried a mixture of the spas including Sczhenyi (sp?) which was fantastic in this giant yellow palace where you could play chess in an outdoor heated pool
Old Apr 10th 2018, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
Out of all the European destinations I've been to, Budapest was my least favourite. When I went (around Valentines break), it was absolutely dead and was definitely more rough than other European cities (homeless living in the train station, pickpockets sizing you up etc.)

Did love the spas and history though. Tried a mixture of the spas including Sczhenyi (sp?) which was fantastic in this giant yellow palace where you could play chess in an outdoor heated pool
Was there on a stag last week. Cannot remember too much and don't recall it being particularly rough or crime ridden but the Spa was awesome. We spent all afternoon there.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of baths in Budapest. My favourite was the Rudas bath, the old Ottoman one. You could sense the history in there.

The massive Széchenyi thermal bath is also impressive. In the summer months they have a big party there at least once a week.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah they were hosting 'spartys' when I went although I underestimated the turnout and didn't book tickets in advance

I went to Gallert, Szechenyi and Rudas. All very different, I especially remember the stained glass ceiling window in Rudas.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno which one I went to. Was a huge set up with several gothic (??) style buildings and a massive outdoor section.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Dunno which one I went to. Was a huge set up with several gothic (??) style buildings and a massive outdoor section.
Szechenyi probably, but it's not gothic. Beaux Arts baroque.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
massive outdoor section.
full of Hungarian sweat and piss. Lovely.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Listen to you ****ers. Until you've spent a week in a caravan in Morecambe with your in-laws, you have **** all to complain about.
I trump you all. Try Rhyl with your inlaws
Old Apr 10th 2018, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Szechenyi probably, but it's not gothic. Beaux Arts baroque.
I'll take your word for it.....

Originally Posted by Scamp
full of Hungarian sweat and piss. Lovely.
And mine now too probably!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.