Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The Most Dangerous Woman in Britain

The Most Dangerous Woman in Britain

Old Apr 6th 2015, 1:41 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Most Dangerous Woman in Britain

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Are you talking about posters or countries, Meow??
Countries mostly. Being a liberal (small L) appeaser I don't want to see a split in the Union. I see myself as British, always have, and I sure we are better as a whole than fractured.

For me, there is more too it than economics. Much of that is supposition anyway and can be argued both ways and endlessly as these threads clearly show. Every flipping time.

Now, shall we tell everyone that your used name used to be "sexpat" until you thought better of it?

Last edited by Meow; Apr 6th 2015 at 1:43 pm. Reason: usual crap typing
Old Apr 7th 2015, 4:49 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cypselos
Off the fence with you, which is it?
Ah, you know what the biggest downfall of the forum blogger is? Its not understanding that there is a difference between reading and comprehension.

My first statement says "as far as I am aware".

My second statement says "I did not state there were"

Do you see the difference?

First statement is a personal opinion, leaving open the possibility that someone else MAY know of negative connotations.

Second statement backs up my first, by confirming that I did not state there were no negative connotations.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 4:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Ah, you know what the biggest downfall of the forum blogger is? Its not understanding that there is a difference between reading and comprehension.

My first statement says "as far as I am aware".

My second statement says "I did not state there were"

Do you see the difference?

First statement is a personal opinion, leaving open the possibility that someone else MAY know of negative connotations.

Second statement backs up my first, by confirming that I did not state there were no negative connotations.
I can read that you claim to not be aware of any negative connotations, but I can't comprehend that it's true.

Is that how it works?
Old Apr 7th 2015, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Happy to be back in the pit TGFKASE?

btw as you are so keen on self determination do you support the right of independence for the Orkney Islands and Shetlands. a lot of that black stuff you claim is rightly theirs!
Old Apr 7th 2015, 5:34 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen

btw as you are so keen on self determination do you support the right of independence for the Orkney Islands and Shetlands. a lot of that black stuff you claim is rightly theirs!
you cant support a more democratic representation within and for scotland and then oppose it for say the orkney isles. thankfully however i dont know any orcadians who want independence and nor do any really know where the rumour/story has come from.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 5:38 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

The Shetlanders made a specific request to the Scottish parliament for an independence vote, before the whole independence vote. It was turned down.Not heard of anything from the Orcadians.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 6:08 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I can read that you claim to not be aware of any negative connotations, but I can't comprehend that it's true.

Is that how it works?
Honestly, I don't see the word Sassenach as negative or derogatory.

If I wanted to be negative or derogatory towards someone of English descent, I would use for more colourful Anglo-Sassenach (do you see what I did there???) words, like ****, or *****, or *******, ****, ******, ******-*******....
Old Apr 7th 2015, 6:19 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Inselaffen

Overjoyed to be back, my little Black Widow....

The only discussion I am aware of regarding Shetland independence was brought up during the Scottish referendum, and this was as a direct result of the possible Yes vote. There has been no Independence movement in Shetland since the early 80's, and there still is no Independence movement.

Their geographic location does make them as removed from Edinburgh as from London, which appeared to be the sole basis of the Independence discussion.

Lets face a few facts tho...

The Shetlands are either Norwegian or Scottish. It has been Scottish since the 15th century, when it was given to Scotland by Norway as a wedding present...

There are no records, that I am aware of, of a self-governing Shetland Isles. There are of a self-governing Scotland. The Shetland Isles have never sought and are not perceived in any way as a separate constituent part of the British Isles or the United Kingdom. Scotland has sought and are perceived as a separate constituent part.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 6:51 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

If I wanted to be negative or derogatory towards someone of English descent, I would use for more colourful Anglo-Sassenach (do you see what I did there???) words, like ****, or *****, or *******, ****, ******, ******-*******....
I don't want to pick up where I left off yesterday but there is one final thing that I would like to clear up if you don't mind.

How many years out of the last 30 have you lived in Scotland?
Old Apr 7th 2015, 7:06 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by shiva
you cant support a more democratic representation within and for scotland and then oppose it for say the orkney isles. thankfully however i dont know any orcadians who want independence and nor do any really know where the rumour/story has come from.
But who in the Shetlands actually requested the independence referendum? My understanding is that they wanted a say IF Scotland voted Yes,

Scotland didnt vote Yes, so no need.

I have also just done a bit of research and have found that 800 of the 70,000 +/- inhabitants signed a call for a full blown referendum.

To accede to a request from barely 0.1% of an electorate would be like Westminster agreeing to a Scots referendum with only 60,000 people voting for it. Funnily enough, the SNP now has far more than 60,000 paid up members..

On that thinking, Scotland can call for another referendum now...!!!

As it is, the vote split for Orkney and Shetland combined was approx 63% No, 37% Yes.

That does not mean that 63% of Shetlanders and Orcadians want Independence from Scotland, it means that 63% of them want to stay part of the Union.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 7:07 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Dumbo
I don't want to pick up where I left off yesterday but there is one final thing that I would like to clear up if you don't mind.

How many years out of the last 30 have you lived in Scotland?
Are you HMRC?
Old Apr 7th 2015, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

This is excellent. The idea that someone this dedicated to Scottish independence thinks there are no negative connotations in Sassenach.

But then you don't know what blogger means either, so so much for reading comprehension.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 7:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I guess I'm the perfect sassenach then, given I'm half sweaty, half English.

Anyway, us calling eachother names and labelling eachother is pointless and gets nowhere.

BTW, I had a look at some of the stats around which age groups voted which way;

I'm not sure it's 100% correct given it's title, but let's face it, it can't be far off the rough idea. I was surprised by the 18-24 age group, but maybe looks distorted because the preceding group is only 2yrs compared to 7. Combined it will pull that average up, but if I'm honest - 16/17yr olds voting on this was only really going to go one way.

Just thought I'd share anyway.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 7:31 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

Are you HMRC?
No I am a stupid, racist, childish, drunkard..........was there anything else you called me yesterday? Forgetful maybe.

I am trying to ascertain if you are a plastic Jock, ie. someone who can't shut up about the place but hardly ever lives there.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 7:32 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Cypselos
This is excellent. The idea that someone this dedicated to Scottish independence thinks there are no negative connotations in Sassenach.

But then you don't know what blogger means either, so so much for reading comprehension.
Ok, please explain whats negative about the use of Sassenach.

It obviously gets your panties in a twist...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.