British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Mortgage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/mortgage-602019/)

rowell Apr 6th 2009 10:39 am

Mortgage

Been on one of those fixed lower rate mortgages in the uk for 3 years which is due to end in Nov. What happens at the end of this period, is the mortgage re-negotiated? When I took the original mortgage out I was working in the uk but obviously now in Dubai, can someone in finance give me a couple of pointers on whether to expect any difficulty in renewing the mortgage whilst working here in Dubai. Will i need to look at an overseas mortgage?

Thanks

still.unsure Apr 6th 2009 11:13 am

Re: Mortgage

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 7455426)
Been on one of those fixed lower rate mortgages in the uk for 3 years which is due to end in Nov. What happens at the end of this period, is the mortgage re-negotiated? When I took the original mortgage out I was working in the uk but obviously now in Dubai, can someone in finance give me a couple of pointers on whether to expect any difficulty in renewing the mortgage whilst working here in Dubai. Will i need to look at an overseas mortgage?

Thanks

drop a note to Meow, she might have a few pointers on the subject.

also, you might want to look at an offshore mortgage like the products lloyds or hsbc are offering.

haz saeed

commander Apr 6th 2009 11:16 am

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7455504)
drop a note to Meow, she might have a few pointers on the subject.

also, you might want to look at an offshore mortgage like the products lloyds or hsbc are offering.

haz saeed

normUK sorted me out with a mortgage with Lloyds in Hong Kong for my property in scotland. Current interest rate 1% i think.

rowell Apr 6th 2009 11:23 am

Thanks will get in touch nearer the time, got to say it is worrying me a little.

Norm_uk Apr 7th 2009 4:19 am

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 7455426)

Thanks

Hi Rowell

You have a fair number of options even when working from Dubai so I'd suggest getting in touch with either myself or Meow at least 3-4 months before renewing to see what your options are.

N.

Slingshot Apr 7th 2009 6:00 am

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 7455529)
Thanks will get in touch nearer the time, got to say it is worrying me a little.

don't you just go on to the lenders standard variable which will probably be much cheaper than what you have paying now anyway if you were tied in to a deal a few years ago