British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Morning Tea At The Embassy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/morning-tea-embassy-701531/)

lionheart Jan 20th 2011 10:31 am

Morning Tea At The Embassy

How many others received this invitation I wonder?

Dear Sir/Madam

The Consul General would like to invite all those registered with the Embassy to a morning tea on Monday 14th February 2011 from 9.30 am to 11.30 am.

The focus of this event will be a presentation on “A Day in the Life of a Consular Officer”, which will give an insight into the types of difficulties that British nationals can get into in Dubai and what you can do to help keep you and your family safe. There will be an opportunity to meet representatives from a few local law firms who will be on hand to offer generic advice on local legal matters and information about their services.

Consular staff will be present to provide information on the services we provide and to answer any questions you may have.
If you would like to attend this event please reply to this email attaching the completed form for you and immediate family members only by 27th January 2011.

Due to the large amount of British Nationals registered with us we are unable to invite everyone, therefore the first 500 guests that confirm their interest will be sent an invitation and further information. Depending on the response to this event, we will look at hosting another in the future for those who have been unable to attend on this occasion.

If you do not wish to attend please do not respond to this email.

For any other enquires please send to [email protected] no responses will be provided from the email.

Best Regards
Consular Section
British Embassy
Dubai

Madam Medusa Jan 20th 2011 10:54 am

Re: Morning Tea At The Embassy

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9115623)

everyone registered with them...and anyone who now registers with them between now and then too...

MM, xx

shiva Jan 20th 2011 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9115657)
everyone registered with them...and anyone who now registers with them between now and then too...

MM, xx

ah yet again in true embassy efficiency i have yet to receive any info at all, this just a few weeks after re registering after the last **** up with no info.

moring tea at the embassy, lovely and quite fitting as they are about as much use as a ****ing chocolate teapot

Meow Jan 20th 2011 11:51 am

Consular staff will be present to provide information on the services we provide.

That'll be a short talk...

Bahtatboy Jan 20th 2011 11:55 am

Due to the large amount of British Nationals registered with us

Can't even write 'king English.

Ethos83 Jan 20th 2011 12:07 pm

Received one. Can't go. Work.

Bahtatboy Jan 20th 2011 12:25 pm

Dear Sir/Madam

The Consul General would like to invite all those registered with the Embassy to a morning tea [what's "a morning tea"? Invite me "to morning tea" or to "a tea morning" (ugly but colloquial) but wft is "a morning tea"?] on Monday 14th February 2011 from 9.30 am to 11.30 am.

The focus of this event will be a presentation on “A Day in the Life of a Consular Officer”, which will give an insight into the types [really? "types of difficulties", or just "difficulties"? Why use 3 words when 1 will do?] of difficulties that British nationals can get into in Dubai and what you can do to help keep you ["yourself"] and your family safe. There will be an opportunity to meet representatives from a few local law firms who will be on hand to offer generic advice on local legal matters and information about their services.

Consular staff will be present to provide information on the services we provide and to answer any questions you may have.
If you would like to attend this event please reply to this email attaching the completed form for you and immediate family members only by 27th January 2011.

Due to the large amount [1 ton, 3 bushels, 78 sacks full?] of British Nationals registered with us we are unable to invite everyone [you've already invited me you dolt, that's what the first line of the message says], therefore the first 500 guests that ["who", please, especially as you've used "who" in the last part of this paragraph] confirm their interest [interest or attendance?--yes, I'm interested, but I haven't decided yet] will be sent an invitation [another one?] and further information. Depending on the response to this event, we will look at hosting another in the future for those who have been unable to attend on this occasion.

If you do not wish to attend please do not respond to this email.

For any other enquires ["other" enquiries? This isn't an enquiry and doesn't invite them, its an invitation] please send to [email protected] [how about some puncutation?] no responses will be provided from the email [which email? I can get the sense, but the syntax is shite].

Best Regards
Consular Section
British Embassy
Dubai

On closer inspection its full of mistakes. And to think this service is being paid for by my hard-earned taxes...

Meow Jan 20th 2011 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9115843)
On closer inspection its full of mistakes. And to think this service is being paid for by my hard-earned taxes...

The phrase 'your family and you' is correct, if ugly. Using yourself and myself in place is you and me is usually wrong as these are reflexive pronouns. Many people seem to think they sound better educated or posher by using these reflective pronouns when personal pronouns are considered correct. It's a horrible trend.

I agree that the email is poorly written.

Bahtatboy Jan 20th 2011 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9115863)
The phrase 'your family and you' is correct, if ugly. Using yourself and myself in place is you and me is usually wrong as these are reflexive pronouns. Many people seem to think they sound better educated or posher by using these reflective pronouns when personal pronouns are considered correct. It's a horrible trend.

Agreed, but in this context "yourself" is required: if you were to remove "and your family" you'd end up with "what you can do to keep you safe", which isn't right. So, keeping to their original structure, "what you can do to keep yourself and your family safe" is correct, but better still "what you can do to keep your family and yourself safe". I think.

Meow Jan 20th 2011 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9115878)
Agreed, but in this context "yourself" is required: if you were to remove "and your family" you'd end up with "what you can do to keep you safe", which isn't right. So, keeping to their original structure, "what you can do to keep yourself and your family safe" is correct, but better still "what you can do to keep your family and yourself safe". I think.

I reckon it should simply say 'you and your family'. Clear and correct.
:)

Bahtatboy Jan 20th 2011 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9115885)
I reckon it should simply say 'you and your family'. Clear and correct.
:)

I reckon I need beer. Have a nice weekend:D

The Dean Jan 20th 2011 1:10 pm

That's the best way I could ever think of to spend Valentine's Day............. :huh:

Bahtatboy Jan 20th 2011 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9115934)
That's the best way I could ever think of to spend Valentine's Day............. :huh:

In all fairness the shagging doesn't usually start till the evening. Well, not for me, anyway...

Madam Medusa Jan 20th 2011 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9115934)

well tea's the strongest drink you're going to get that day...!

MM, xx

Bahtatboy Jan 20th 2011 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9115983)
well tea's the strongest drink you're going to get that day...!

MM, xx

Tea and crumpets?