Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

More Ramadan Etiquette.....on the bus

More Ramadan Etiquette.....on the bus

Old Sep 6th 2009, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough
Default More Ramadan Etiquette.....on the bus

Happened to be on the bus for the second time on the 1.5hr journey to abu dhabi when the bus stopped midway for breaking the fast.

The first time was in the middle of nowhere with of course an indian tea shop and a mosque. As the only rare specie on the bus i left to peek in the shop but the troughs were full with the populous specie, so u-turn and back on the bus.

Tonight they stopped mid motorway. Amidst prayers on the airwaves, then the driver produced a carrier bag with dates and offered me some. I refused, thanking him.

Question is, is this the done thing and have i offended anyone?
If you are not to greet a unknown (muslim)male in public should you be accepting things from them?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 4:47 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More Ramadan Etiquette.....on the bus

why didn't you just accept those dates...it's the polite thing to do as far as I am concerned...
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Yet another reason I would never travel by bus.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:11 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Yet another reason I would never travel by bus.
yeah...I ignored that part of the story, lol...
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
yeah...I ignored that part of the story, lol...
I don't have anything to wear on a bus darling!!!!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough

LOL
You all have me rolling...another thread brewing which is the greater evil
Driving with the crazed folks on the road like a chicken run or taking the bus...i have retained the latter
Old Sep 7th 2009, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoukla
Happened to be on the bus for the second time on the 1.5hr journey to abu dhabi when the bus stopped midway for breaking the fast.

The first time was in the middle of nowhere with of course an indian tea shop and a mosque. As the only rare specie on the bus i left to peek in the shop but the troughs were full with the populous specie, so u-turn and back on the bus.

Tonight they stopped mid motorway. Amidst prayers on the airwaves, then the driver produced a carrier bag with dates and offered me some. I refused, thanking him.

If you are not to greet a unknown (muslim)male in public should you be accepting things from them?
If they didn't stone you to death on the spot, you probably got away with it.........
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:30 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

LOL
You all have me rolling...another thread brewing which is the greater evil
Driving with the crazed folks on the road like a chicken run or taking the bus...i have retained the latter
I'm with you there....I'd rather be in a nice big bus when Ahmed crashes into the back in his landcruiser than a regular car.

That said I have only got the bus a few times here...

N.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

No it is not offensive at all, as long as you politley say no thank you.

I mean I never ate in the MIL's house
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:02 am
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

Actually yeah you offended them.. just give me a moment to compile a list of fines you should pay. The payment can go through me

Alright...

10000Dh or 1000Whip slashes your choice for offending the muslim
1000Dh or 100 slaps in the face for saying thank you to a muslim
Oh there was a bit of flirting in that thank you so... thats a 5000Dh fine.