British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   More Ramadan Etiquette.....on the bus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/more-ramadan-etiquette-bus-629412/)

zoukla Sep 6th 2009 4:40 pm

More Ramadan Etiquette.....on the bus

Happened to be on the bus for the second time on the 1.5hr journey to abu dhabi when the bus stopped midway for breaking the fast.

The first time was in the middle of nowhere with of course an indian tea shop and a mosque. As the only rare specie on the bus i left to peek in the shop but the troughs were full with the populous specie, so u-turn and back on the bus.

Tonight they stopped mid motorway. Amidst prayers on the airwaves, then the driver produced a carrier bag with dates and offered me some. I refused, thanking him.

Question is, is this the done thing and have i offended anyone?
If you are not to greet a unknown (muslim)male in public should you be accepting things from them?:confused:

MataHari Sep 6th 2009 4:47 pm

Re: More Ramadan Etiquette.....on the bus

why didn't you just accept those dates...it's the polite thing to do as far as I am concerned...

Patsy Stoned Sep 6th 2009 5:07 pm

Yet another reason I would never travel by bus.

MataHari Sep 6th 2009 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 7909142)
Yet another reason I would never travel by bus.

yeah...I ignored that part of the story, lol...

Patsy Stoned Sep 6th 2009 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7909145)
yeah...I ignored that part of the story, lol...

I don't have anything to wear on a bus darling!!!!:rofl:

zoukla Sep 6th 2009 5:34 pm

LOL:rofl:
You all have me rolling...another thread brewing which is the greater evil
Driving with the crazed folks on the road like a chicken run or taking the bus...i have retained the latter:fingerscrossed:

The Dean Sep 7th 2009 3:50 am

Originally Posted by zoukla (Post 7909100)
Happened to be on the bus for the second time on the 1.5hr journey to abu dhabi when the bus stopped midway for breaking the fast.

The first time was in the middle of nowhere with of course an indian tea shop and a mosque. As the only rare specie on the bus i left to peek in the shop but the troughs were full with the populous specie, so u-turn and back on the bus.

Tonight they stopped mid motorway. Amidst prayers on the airwaves, then the driver produced a carrier bag with dates and offered me some. I refused, thanking him.

If you are not to greet a unknown (muslim)male in public should you be accepting things from them?:confused:

If they didn't stone you to death on the spot, you probably got away with it.........

Norm_uk Sep 7th 2009 11:30 am

Originally Posted by zoukla (Post 7909170)
LOL:rofl:
You all have me rolling...another thread brewing which is the greater evil
Driving with the crazed folks on the road like a chicken run or taking the bus...i have retained the latter:fingerscrossed:

I'm with you there....I'd rather be in a nice big bus when Ahmed crashes into the back in his landcruiser than a regular car.

That said I have only got the bus a few times here...

N.

banter64 Sep 7th 2009 3:43 pm

No it is not offensive at all, as long as you politley say no thank you.

I mean I never ate in the MIL's house :ohmy:

Tiger989 Sep 8th 2009 10:02 am

Originally Posted by zoukla (Post 7909100)

Actually yeah you offended them.. just give me a moment to compile a list of fines you should pay. The payment can go through me

Alright...

10000Dh or 1000Whip slashes your choice for offending the muslim
1000Dh or 100 slaps in the face for saying thank you to a muslim
Oh there was a bit of flirting in that thank you so... thats a 5000Dh fine.