Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

More pocket money needed

More pocket money needed

Old May 26th 2008, 11:49 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default More pocket money needed

New SALIK Gates will be installed in Dubai, the second phase will be on this coming July.

The first Gate will be on the Floating Bridge, both ways.

The second gate will be at the 2nd interchange, Shk Zayed Road in Dubai at the Safa Park crossing/junction but if you crossed the Al Garhoud Gate you will not pay at this one.

The third one will be at Al Maktoum Bridge, both ways.

This plan is to reduce the capacity of the traffic on Dubai roads.
(It would be nice if there was an alternative reliable way to get around Dubai)

INTERESTING STATISTICS

No of cars registered in Dubai for salik is 870,181 cars.

Expected revenue out of the 5 gates would be 1.5 Billion AED.

Expected decrease in traffic volume due to SALIK charges will be 40%.
Old May 26th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all
Default Re: More pocket money needed

No chance of a 40% reduction in traffic volume! Although on SZR it may mean that Al Khail, Al Wasl roads get busier!
Old May 26th 2008, 11:52 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jrudofsky
No chance of a 40% reduction in traffic volume! Although on SZR it may mean that Al Khail, Al Wasl roads get busier!
I know ... that is just their PR spin!
Old May 26th 2008, 11:58 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
but if you crossed the Al Garhoud Gate you will not pay at this one.

yeh right like they'll get that to work properly.
Double charging here we go
Old May 26th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

Aye, pretty good at that.....amazing the various figures they pull out. If however it turns out to be true then I will take it all back...and eat my hat!
Old May 26th 2008, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Presumably the charges apply 24/7? If the aim is just to cut down on congestion, why charge at non-peak periods?
Old May 26th 2008, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
Presumably the charges apply 24/7? If the aim is just to cut down on congestion, why charge at non-peak periods?
Quite clearly their objective is not to cut traffic congestion but to raise lots of Dirhams for the RTA coffers
Old May 26th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ME,
Where did you get this information? Hoping it is just speculation...no actually it's wishful thinking
Old May 26th 2008, 12:35 pm
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by IndieG
Hi ME,
Where did you get this information? Hoping it is just speculation...no actually it's wishful thinking
Someone sent it on to me from a newspaper. I have heard this before as well so I don't think it is speculation.
Old May 26th 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Someone sent it on to me from a newspaper. I have heard this before as well so I don't think it is speculation.
I googled and couldn't find any reference to the article. May find it in tomorrows papers...
Old May 26th 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

It has been sent to my other half's HR department and sent round their company.
Old May 26th 2008, 1:04 pm
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by IndieG
I googled and couldn't find any reference to the article. May find it in tomorrows papers...
Here is the source ....

http://www.alittihad.ae/
Old May 26th 2008, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is the source ....

http://www.alittihad.ae/
Do they do an English translation?
Old May 26th 2008, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lionheart
Is that a picture of the president on the front page, inaugrating the new Salik?!
Old May 26th 2008, 1:17 pm
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by lionheart
I don't think so. I've not been able to find one anyway.

I have come across previous press releases on here before being published in Gulf News etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.