Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

More news reports from the Magic Kingdom

More news reports from the Magic Kingdom

Old May 12th 2013, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More news reports from the Magic Kingdom

Originally Posted by redShark
Like I have answered the same question before. Saudi is not an absolute representation of Islam. There are many serious flows in that system. If that story is right then it is a wrong implantation of the Islamic rules as Quran was clear about that ruling.

Now, it is your turn to answer me...

Will you be man enough to stand up here and tell us all what you think of the European imprisonment punishment law against those who question the events surrounding the Holocaust?

BTW, isn’t it mother day today? Should’nt you be more keen on putting a post on this important event than something about Saudi!! (same question goes to the other athiests)!!!
I know you didn't ask me but I would like to state my opinion on the issue of Holocaust denial.

While I certainly believe it took place I am against laws criminalising Holocaust denial and criticism. I absolutely believe in the preeminence of Freedom of Speech and believe it should trump any and all sensitivities. For the same reason I am against laws that criminalise speech deemed as 'Hate'.

I may or may not support your views but I will defend your right to say it.
Old May 12th 2013, 4:05 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I know you didn't ask me but I would like to state my opinion on the issue of Holocaust denial.

While I certainly believe it took place I am against laws criminalising Holocaust denial and criticism. I absolutely believe in the preeminence of Freedom of Speech and believe it should trump any and all sensitivities. For the same reason I am against laws that criminalise speech deemed as 'Hate'.

I may or may not support your views but I will defend your right to say it.
Totally and utterly.

(PS, it never happened....).
Old May 12th 2013, 4:08 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

We are not going to agree on this argument as we obviously have different ways of interpreting what is right and what is wrong.

We are not debating what is right and what is wrong, We are pulling you up on your outlandish claims that fasting for 31 days is good for you. You produce one link saying that 2 day a week is good for you, not 31.

We can stick to our guns and let the others judge.I could have actually put you under the scrutiny to explain to me how an illiterate man in the desert of Arabia could knew that fasting two days a week is good! but I will not follow that argument up with you, The idea of fasting also has nothing to do with health, you are supposed to fast through Ramadan the same as christians do for lent - for Religion

and rather quote you an observation by a non-Muslim, none but Albert Einstein himself, when he said:

"Quran is not a book of algebra or geometry but is a collection of rules which guides human beings to the right way, the way which the greatest philosophers are unable to decline it"

Whilst I wont deny it has some good rules to control the natives, infact they are pretty much exactly the same ones as the Egyptian, Romans, Hindu's and christians have. Shall we then look at the parts that advocate violence to non believers, treating women as second class citizens?

One other observation I have. When I look at a thread of this nature here. I could see that there are a few thousands viewers following it, (They are not following it, they have looked at it and most of the views will be the same people) but the musketeers who are debating with me are only a few? (I think most have goven up and realised you are not worthy of debate as you never back up your false claims or listen to conjecture) I see only me and the atheists fighting it out here. How come others are shying away? What ever happened to Ajeeb, for example (I like his name, it does what it says on the tin )? Where are the other British folks of different religions?
See Above
Old May 12th 2013, 4:18 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Where are the other British folks of different religions?
I'm not british - I'm English, and I'm a total and utter atheist.

As Karl Marx once said, "Religion is the opiate of the people".
Old May 12th 2013, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
I'm not british - I'm English, and I'm a total and utter atheist.

As Karl Marx once said, "Religion is the opiate of the people".
I always thought it was Mao who said that.
Ex Catholic here ; been Agnostic for 18 odd years.
Old May 12th 2013, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I always thought it was Mao who said that.
Karl Marx http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/300700.html
Old May 12th 2013, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikewot
Oh I wasn't doubting Kix, just always assumed it was Mao.
Old May 12th 2013, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kix
(if it did indeed happen to the extent that we are brainwashed to believe).
That'll liven up things then. Two psychotic posters in one thread.
Old May 12th 2013, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Only two ? We NEED more psychopaths !
Old May 13th 2013, 7:02 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

btw, if she wants to be a Christian let her be, why prosecute the ones left behind?
And I dont care if her family has signed an affidavit inked in their own blood, IF she goes back, someone will definitely end up hurt bad. My advice : stay the bleep away sister
I agree with the comment above that the kingdom is not and should not be seen as the ideal representation of Islam. Nobodys perfect.
Old May 13th 2013, 7:16 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
btw, if she wants to be a Christian let her be, why prosecute the ones left behind?
And I dont care if her family has signed an affidavit inked in their own blood, IF she goes back, someone will definitely end up hurt bad. My advice : stay the bleep away sister
I agree with the comment above that the kingdom is not and should not be seen as the ideal representation of Islam. Nobodys perfect.
I absolutely agree. Please don't see this a loaded question, as it is not but as the only sensible one posting here which country do you think represents Islam in the correct way? The North African countries (Tunisia & Morocco) seem to do OK and maybe Bangladesh but most of the others seem to be permanently fighting even today. As a religion of peace why do some believers seem hell bent of soiling that image in the name of god. (Or Allah)
Old May 13th 2013, 8:10 am

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I absolutely agree. Please don't see this a loaded question, as it is not but as the only sensible one posting here which country do you think represents Islam in the correct way? The North African countries (Tunisia & Morocco) seem to do OK and maybe Bangladesh but most of the others seem to be permanently fighting even today. As a religion of peace why do some believers seem hell bent of soiling that image in the name of god. (Or Allah)
Hmm, that is a highly debatable question mate. As no one country can stake a claim to that and every country will want to stake a claim to that, you know.
I myself would have liked to have said Pakistan but I cant do that anymore now I am afraid. The problem is there are so many factions / divisions within Islam and who am I to say mine is better than the other. The shias would like to say Iran / Syria (not syria anymore though) etc. The hard line sunnis would like to say Saudi Arab. The seculars would like to say UAE / Turkey / Indonesia (debatable) maybe. The Africans would like to say Mauritania maybe.
But each country has its ups and downs and highs and lows. As I said earlier, nobody's perfect and if anyone says they are, therein lies the imperfection itself.
And yes, there are some (more now than 10 years ago I guess) who are hell bent on spoiling the image. This is where conspiracy theories jump in. But myself I think, globally we all are leading to a huge confrontation, maybe in the next few years, maybe in the next 100 years but it will eventually happen. Too much technology and nowhere to play you know
I just hope that when that day comes, saner heads would prevail. But thats wishful thinking
Old May 13th 2013, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Wouldn't it be Turkey, owing to the military's staunch defense of secularism?
Old May 13th 2013, 8:19 am

yes, Turkey is really among the top contenders in my opinion
I would love to live there some day but I am told it is dreadfully cold in some places. Just an example of freedom there :
My best friend (Christian from Pakistan btw) married a Muslim Turkish girl and not a single **** was given. They had the prefect of wedding ceremonies and I just feel sorry for the poor girl as he is only ugly ****er
Old May 13th 2013, 8:27 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Hmm, that is a highly debatable question mate. As no one country can stake a claim to that and every country will want to stake a claim to that, you know.
I myself would have liked to have said Pakistan but I cant do that anymore now I am afraid. The problem is there are so many factions / divisions within Islam and who am I to say mine is better than the other. The shias would like to say Iran / Syria (not syria anymore though) etc. The hard line sunnis would like to say Saudi Arab. The seculars would like to say UAE / Turkey / Indonesia (debatable) maybe. The Africans would like to say Mauritania maybe.
But each country has its ups and downs and highs and lows. As I said earlier, nobody's perfect and if anyone says they are, therein lies the imperfection itself.
And yes, there are some (more now than 10 years ago I guess) who are hell bent on spoiling the image. This is where conspiracy theories jump in. But myself I think, globally we all are leading to a huge confrontation, maybe in the next few years, maybe in the next 100 years but it will eventually happen. Too much technology and nowhere to play you know
I just hope that when that day comes, saner heads would prevail. But thats wishful thinking
Absolutely true, the fundamentalists will stop at nothing in a Jihad and when they believe the reward for Shahid to be so great that is a battle you cannot win. The last people to have the same faith/ideas in wartime was the Japanese and we know what happened there.

I think everyone should have a nice cup of tea and talk about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.