British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   More Heavy Snow Cripples Britain As Salt Runs Out.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/more-heavy-snow-cripples-britain-salt-runs-out-589395/)

Bison Feb 5th 2009 4:42 am

More Heavy Snow Cripples Britain As Salt Runs Out..

Freezing temperatures and fresh snowfalls are creating dangerous conditions on the roads in areas of Britain that are running out of salt supplies.

Winter cold snap is causing problems for motorists
http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content...1/15217125.jpg

More snow fell overnight in south Wales, north Devon, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire where further disruption is expected to public transport, schools and businesses.

The Highways Agency is warning drivers to take extra care on the roads, and the Met Office issued severe weather warnings for further heavy snow in the Midlands, the West Country, much of Scotland and southern and eastern Wales.

Some councils have admitted their supplies of salt are now so low they are only able to treat major routes, leaving many back roads perilous for motorists.

Britain's biggest salt supplier, Cheshire-based Salt Union, said staff are working round the clock but still cannot meet demand.

"We have been operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week since the beginning of January and are extracting 30 million kilos per week but the unexpected and unusual weather means that, even working at this level, demand is outstripping supply," the firm said.

Cleveland Potash, the Highways Agency's second supplier, said it has arranged for 40,000 tonnes of salt to be imported from its sister mine in Spain to meet the increased demand.

The Highways Agency - which is responsible for England's motorways and A-roads - said it is confident it has enough salt in its depots to keep routes ice-free.

But Hertfordshire County Council, one of the councils which has admitted stocks are running low, said it is seeking additional supplies from abroad.

Other councils which are saving their salt for main roads include Ceredigion County Council, in mid Wales, which said Salt Union had told it not to expect further deliveries.

Sky News weather presenter Isobel Lang said that while the capital would escape the kind of travel chaos seen after heavy snow on Monday, other areas of the country would be at risk.

"London will get away with it this time with no travel problems on Thursday, only rain or sleet is forecast," she said.

"I am concerned for Wales and the Midlands though, where 2-5cm (1-2in) of snow could bring disruption during Thursday.

"Over the higher ground of Wales and the Derbyshire Dales there may be as much as 20cm (around 8in) of snow.

"So if you're planning to use the rail links or airports around Bristol, Cardiff or Birmingham, you may find you encounter lengthy delays or cancellations.

"On Friday, don't be surprised to see some sleet or wet snow for a time across southeast England, but it shouldn't last long or cause widespread problems.

"It'll clear to leave an icy but bright day for many on Saturday."

shiva Feb 5th 2009 5:10 am

Re: More Heavy Snow Cripples Britain As Salt Runs Out..

england gets some snow. world comes to an end, same old same old.
Its a miracle that canada, russia etc even exist

Inselaffen Feb 5th 2009 6:04 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7250722)

no more chaos than when Dubai gets a little rain!

BangleMan Feb 5th 2009 6:53 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7250722)

To be fair, it was the worst snowfall in 18 years in the UK, so was a bit out of the norm...

I see people are now complaining there should be more gritters on the road, more salt etc etc

Those same people would complain bitterly if each local authority up'd their council tax each year to pay for 20-30 gritting lorries to be sat in a garage on standby most of which would only be used every 18 years....

Apparently, the salt used on the road's desolving elements only lasts so long (so I heard on Sky News last night) so councils cant have bags and bags of it held in store for years and years in case they have a heavier than normal snowfall.

Most local authorities used more salt on the roads over the past week than they did in the whole of last winter !

Think people just like to moan for the sake of moaning to be honest......it was freakish weather conditions for the UK, so just get on with it people....jeez. !

shiva Feb 5th 2009 7:18 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7250916)

Think people just like to moan for the sake of moaning to be honest......it was freakish weather conditions for the UK, so just get on with it people....jeez. !

agreed.
although i would like to point out that there are roads closed every year for the whole winter in scotland and yet its only when england gets a bit of snow is there a national disaster. my folks for example are literally snowed in for a week every couple of years or so. and i do mean snowed in, as in road impassable even in a tractor snowed in.

BangleMan Feb 5th 2009 7:32 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7250952)
agreed.
although i would like to point out that there are roads closed every year for the whole winter in scotland and yet its only when england gets a bit of snow is there a national disaster. my folks for example are literally snowed in for a week every couple of years or so. and i do mean snowed in, as in road impassable even in a tractor snowed in.

It doesnt matter about Scotland, no one cares....

Bison Feb 5th 2009 7:47 am

I just checked out the BBC's Jamcams, really cool idea, gives you a live feed from motorway cameras.

This on is the M5 junction at the Golden Valley, maybe they should change it to White Valley!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire...n=bbc_new_west

Bison

Bison Feb 5th 2009 9:19 am

More Snow Pics...

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content...1/15217297.jpg

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content...1/15217204.jpg

Sky Blue Feb 5th 2009 9:32 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7250976)
It doesnt matter about Scotland, no one cares....

Like 5 people get affected in the highlands or whatever... What about Wales, they have been affected too...

Get over yerselves...

The infrastructure of the UK is not set up for any extremes either way, I remember a few years back when it was hot and the railway tracks expanded causing chaos... Not sure if that has ever happened in Scotland, one cause all the track has been ripped up and two it never gets very warm... :thumbup:

Bison Feb 5th 2009 9:36 am

The infrastructure of the UK is not set up for any extremes either way, I remember a few years back when it was hot and the railway tracks expanded causing chaos... Not sure if that has ever happened in Scotland, one cause all the track has been ripped up and two it never gets very warm...
Not forgetting the floods we had.... I have friends who are still living in Caravans as a result!

Bison