British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   More cuts at master developer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/more-cuts-master-developer-633335/)

Desert Rat Sep 30th 2009 3:29 pm

More cuts at master developer

The dubai master developer is about to make more cuts, reckon my time is up. Got an offer of a job in Qatar. Anyone like to share their experiences of doha

Blue Cat Oct 1st 2009 7:54 am

Re: More cuts at master developer

Originally Posted by Desert Rat (Post 7977981)
The dubai master developer is about to make more cuts, reckon my time is up. Got an offer of a job in Qatar. Anyone like to share their experiences of doha

I have a friend in Qatar and she hates it but its what you make it. Little Jimmy is there too, or he will be when his plastic hip settles in :)

Inselaffen Oct 1st 2009 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7979950)
I have a friend in Qatar and she hates it but its what you make it. Little Jimmy is there too, or he will be when his plastic hip settles in :)

is there any of the original little jimmy left :confused:

Blue Cat Oct 1st 2009 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7979989)
is there any of the original little jimmy left :confused:

not sure, maybe his ears?

co durham boy Oct 1st 2009 9:25 am

its ok ,its definitely not dubai but it really never bothered me , i was there working, you can still get a drink and theres some decent hotels such as the W,if its got graft and you can see the football and have a few beers then its ok,i dont see the fascination about dubai,its finished in any case, the middle east is always about making a few bob then getting out,if your not making money here then go home its that simple.
the true ex-pat lifestyle is a thing of the past now and has been for a while, give it a go at least you'll not have to put up with the friday brunch tw**s and the plastic lime tree cafe wannabes!

captaincaveman Oct 3rd 2009 5:13 pm

I spent the last few years in Dubai, including working for one of the big developers, and moved to Doha this year.

Been great. Not as pretty for sure but never been happier. Money seems to go further (less to blow it on) everyone drives a nissan sunny as nobody seems bothered with image. Qatar airways go most places worth going, direct and at a good price.

Some good places for a beer and the usual malls (not as pretty but same shops).

Could do with a decent supermarket unless you are a carrefore fan.

Come to Doha, save some money for a change and join the fun.

Also, no 24 year olds calling themselves senior management and no pack of estate agents braying in barasti.

oh - everyone drives a sunny except locals who all have landcruisers and road rage.

Ramadan is also rubbish so time your holidays to match.