British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Monogamy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/monogamy-719811/)

kittycat1 Jun 6th 2011 3:06 pm

Monogamy

Ok, there are loads of unwritten caveats, but assuming that we're talking about one man taking up one wife- forever, faithfully, he's got enough money and love, and it were to happen in a society that accepts it, would you or wouldn't you enter into a monogamous marriage?

I think I can predict the outcome for the fairer sex, but not sure about you blokes.

Hello.Kitty Jun 6th 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Monogamy

lol @ the votes so far!

Chris_m Jun 6th 2011 4:17 pm

Marriage is not a thing to be messed about with. If i get to that point again where i meet someone that i say i will marry then i will again be wholeheartedly faithful. but it will be interesting to see how this poll and the other 1 goes!!!!!

Norm_uk Jun 6th 2011 6:08 pm

Polygamy is actually the natural state of things and legal or not the most common form of relationship there is across cultures....

...agree or not that's how it is. If everyman were happily married there'd be a lot of miserable single women out there.

That said the inheritance issues alone would keep me busy until I'm 60 hehe.

N.

Spugsy Jun 6th 2011 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9413674)
Ok, there are loads of unwritten caveats, but assuming that we're talking about one man taking up one wife- forever, faithfully, he's got enough money and love, and it were to happen in a society that accepts it, would you or wouldn't you enter into a monogamous marriage?

I think I can predict the outcome for the fairer sex, but not sure about you blokes.

Once you've got all your wild days out the way, all your shagging, and you find the right girl - aye, piece of piss.

Chris_m Jun 6th 2011 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9414225)
Once you've got all your wild days out the way, all your shagging, and you find the right girl - aye, piece of piss.

Where's the like button :)

MacScot Jun 6th 2011 8:31 pm

I prefer teak over monogamy any :)day.

weasel central Jun 6th 2011 10:04 pm

Not possible in my opinion and anyone who says yes is either fooling themselves our over estimating their own future faithfulness to some degree :blink:

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 7th 2011 4:16 am

Originally Posted by weasel central (Post 9414670)
Not possible in my opinion and anyone who says yes is either fooling themselves our over estimating their own future faithfulness to some degree :blink:

Lionheart the Second strikes again.

MataHari Jun 7th 2011 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9415297)
Lionheart the Second strikes again.

I agree with Weasel...the whole concept of spending your life with one person that you chose in your late teens/early twenties cause you love them is ridiculous...you go through so many changes, your personalities are still developing etc...how can it ever work.
People stay faithfull because somehow that has become the norm, not because it's in their nature.

Millhouse Jun 7th 2011 4:22 am

I vote weasel. There are no guarantees in life.

MataHari Jun 7th 2011 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9415306)
I vote weasel. There are no guarantees in life.

I love you...

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 7th 2011 4:40 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 9415303)
I agree with Weasel...the whole concept of spending your life with one person that you chose in your late teens/early twenties cause you love them is ridiculous...you go through so many changes, your personalities are still developing etc...how can it ever work.
People stay faithfull because somehow that has become the norm, not because it's in their nature.

Everyone is different. My grandparents were together from age 17/18.

Lots of people still get married young and realise what you said.

Swings and roundabouts though, changing and developing as a person doesn't always mean bad news.

MataHari Jun 7th 2011 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9415327)
Everyone is different. My grandparents were together from age 17/18.

Lots of people still get married young and realise what you said.

Swings and roundabouts though, changing and developing as a person doesn't always mean bad news.

anyone can stay married by simply not divorcing, but that doesn't mean that the marriage is working, but that is beside the point.

I think it's unrealistic to have to chose a partner for life when you are young and that you are meant to be with that person for the next 40 or 50 years.

and no, it's good that you develop cause it would be pretty sad if you stayed the way you were in your teens/twenties...although I do know a few guys that never got over that mental age.

kittycat1 Jun 7th 2011 4:57 am

The old romantic in me says yes it is possible- noone ever said it would be easy and you have to work at a marriage to get you through the times where you want different things- its always about compromise.

However, I haven't met anyone that I feel I could do that with or would want to do that with -yet, note why I have never married. I like my life and not having to compromise and doing what I want when I want- selfish- yes, but at least Im being true to myself and not messing anyone about. If I met someone I absolutely adored and if they adored me then it might change my priorities and I might be prepared to change my lifestyle. At some point I would like to settle down and be with a life partner as its bloody hard work doing everything on your own! However it wouldn't surprise me if I don't.

The grass is always greener!